New Scrollsaw Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scrollsaw Club

I've started a Scrollsaw Club in West Central Indiana. In the City of Crawfordsville, our first meeting was Nov. 12th and we had 14 people come. Our next meeting is Dec. 10th. I spoke with the store manager of Town & Country Store about starting a scollsaw club and having them sponsoring us. He thought that was great. They bought us a Dewalt 788 to use, and put an ad in the local paper each month. The way it looks this next meeting we will have several more people.I've decided to take one of my RBI 226 saws to use in the meeting. I helped Blue Lucky start a club in Indianapolis almost a year ago, I was driving 120 mile round trip and it was getting in my bilfold. I hope Michael can keep it going. We have four of us that have from 6 years to 24 years experience, to teach the one's that have never use a scrollsaw. We'll start with the basic. Wish us well Don

Good luck, since you have done this before you know whats involved.
    I am the president of our local club and it is great fun and really helps the newcomers with the learning curve. We have some with more than 60 years experience. We currently have about 36 members.
    It is nice if you a meeting place where you can leave a saw set up.
    We are in a restored barn that has lots of other acctivites so we can't leave anything set up.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Good luck with your club, wish we had one in Belgium!
      Frieke
      www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

That sounds really great. Maybe you could post some pictures from time to time, I would love to see them.
        Fran

Comment

I'll try to get some pic for the next meeting on the 10 of Dec and post them Don

Comment

Don,
            I will gather up some stuff when I get home, actually after this weekend (I have a fair to do tommorow) .You will have a better idea of what to do once you get a feel for the existing skills of the membership. The test cutting patterns curves ,zigzags etc. is a good start. But as a heads up I have found that lots of people have a real problem with cutting while others are watching.
            One thing that gets many newbies is that the fact that the blade wants to cut to one side, let them know that that is normal.
            Rolf

Comment

Thanks Rolf; The blade cutting to one side was the first thing I told everyone. Don

Comment

Best of luck to you, and the club, Don! Our club is slowly growing. Does your local library have a display case? Talk to them about displaying some scrolled items. Any exposure helps! Is your club listed on here? And you should make the announcement on some other scrolling forums.

Paul
                www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Good luck Don , this sounds like it will be a rewarding in more ways than one . It's been my understanding when teaching that the teacher also learns while teaching - happy scrolling ....................MB
                  Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Thanks everyone, Your ideas will help. Paul I'll check with the library to see if they have anything Thanks The store we are setup in will put an ad in the local paper each month. I'm working on getting an ad in the Lafayette paper, which is 28 miles north of us. Their out there I've just got to find them. Marshall, you're right I'm sure I'll learn also. I've been scrolling for 24 years and I didn't realize there was a forum until Dec of 2009. I've learn alot from all of you. We have a great forum going here.I din't realize there were so many. I'll post pic after our next meeting. Don

Comment

Paul; The club isn't listed yet, I'll be asking ideas for a name at the next meeting. An idea would be West Central Indiana Scrollers. I'll have to get more information on the rules before I list it. Don

Comment

What would all the benefits of a scrollsaw club be?

Couple things I can think of would be exchanges of tips/solutions on problems
                        and maybe if your saw wasn't acting just right you could bring it to the
                        meeting and get help with it?
                        What else could a club do for you?

Comment

Catlyn, it's mostly making friends with a great hobby in common. We have a couple of people who have just started scrolling that we help out a bit. We recently did a small craft show that benefited a place that helps out cancer patients.

Paul
                          www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Catlyn,
                            A bit long winded but here goes.
                            Where to start? Ok, besides all of the benefits stated by Paul a club greatly reduces the learning curve, introduces members to new types of projects and techniques.
                            I was raised around tools(German machinist) so all of the mechanics of scrolling came very easily to me. But there are so many little nuances such as how to cut a sharp V or W, straight lines, circles. You can read and watch all the videos you want but nothing beats having an experienced scroller showing you. I am now president of that club (3 years) I have learned many things and now I encourage our members to try things like Intarsia and other things they haven’t done before.
                            Rolf

Comment

Catlyn; We had 14 people come to the first meeting, 5 of us have a scrollsaw that we use. A few have a saw but have never used it, and some don't have a saw but want to learn. I ask the one's that use their saw,to bring a couple of items to the meetings to show what can be done with the saw. This will give the other the initiative to learn. I'm expecting around 20 or more for this next meeting. I think just teaching newcomer how to use the saw would be a benefit for them, and enjoyment for the one teaching. I don't know if any of the clubs have a membership fee or not. I'm furnishing the wood and the blades so far. I normally demo how to cut something and then let a few that want to try. And walk them through it.Of coarse I don't know how to do a lot of it. but normally there may be one of us that may know a different techique.( I hope) Don

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Today, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Today, 06:38 PM
                              • Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X