No announcement yet.

Fall issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob, well the good news is that the things you liked and are probably going to make far exceed those you didn't. 😉 If I counted right - you liked 7 that you are likely to make and only 4 you didn't. 🙂 So I would think if they can please most people with 50% of the articles then I would think they are probably happy. It is I am sure quite difficult to please everyone with everything in any magazine.

The Xyron Creative Station article says it is a "product review" - so it probably does look a bit like a "commercial". 😃 It is not going to work for everyone for every project - however I will also point out that they have other smaller ones that work for smaller projects. 🙂 They got their start for scrapbookers many years ago. They have been around for a long time. I have several in different sizes from my other "crafting" work i have done. The inset article with JGR shows how it is a great use for those who do Intarsia work where you often have a lot of smaller and often tiny pieces of patterns you have cut up and need to adhere to a variety of different pieces of wood. This makes it easier to get adhesive on each piece. I see its use much more there then for someone doing regular fretwork style cutting.

The Maker Space article - while there is not one referenced in your area - there are 10 in various places across the country - including mine in Knoxville (Which I already know about but have not checked out - in fact there are a couple of different maker spaces in Knoxville that I am aware of.) With that many locations - I look at this article this way - First, there is probably one listed close to many people who get the magazine and they may not previously be aware of it. Now they know and can check it out. Second, many people may not even be aware of the fact that there are "maker spaces" and even though one is not listed in your area - it might prompt someone interested to go and search and find one in their area. Third, the inset says they want to hear about more Maker Spaces in other communities. Since this article no doubt doesn't even scratch the surface of maker spaces out there, someone in your area may have one that they highlight at another time.

The Floor - I agree the floor is beautiful - the fact that he does the detailed Marquetry work with a scroll saw fits within the "theme" of the magazine which I see is showing people different things that can be done with a scroll saw. I find marquetry intriguing and hope to give it a try at some point. While I was already exploring marguetry a bit - I would like to see them do a few more articles about it at some time. Now, I will say my one complaint about this article - and one I have for all articles done this way - is the fact that they put the "end" of the article - 2 pages BEFORE the first page of the article! Especially in this case - since the article took 2 full pages! PLEASE put the first page first! 🤨

Artists to watch - While you consider it a waste of space - I see it as showing others work to do two things - first to again show what kind of work one can do with a scroll saw and to inspire others with different projects. I think often things are shown here that inspire someone else to give that or similar type work or project a try. Plus, it lets folks show off a project that they are proud of. I know I have seen projects shared in this section in the past that inspired me to try a particular project.

Now, some of the projects you liked and plan to do - do not presently appeal to me (as well as some of the others in this issue) - that is in part because my children are grown and just out of college and not married so no grandchildren so no need for those items (yet). 😊 Maybe one day I will do the ramp walkers, the ghost puzzle, the chainsaw and others when there are little kids I can cut for. I'm not much for cutting fretwork because I don't really have the patience for those so while I admire them when I seem them in the magazine - I know I'm not going to cut them. While I love Intarsia and do some - the Koi fish project does not appeal to me (right now at least) - but I am sure there will be others who love it. Like you, I liked Carole's Pumpkin pie box (I love all her boxes like that but have yet to make one) and have it on the maybe list. My MIL used to always make the pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving so I thought it would be a good way to honor and remember her. I liked the tic tack toe board but not sure I will make it.

While many of the items this time did not attract my attention or appeal to me, I'm sure they do to many others. So, I'm glad we still have this one magazine for scrollers and look forward to seeing what comes next - even if everything doesn't always appeal to me - now. I find that sometimes I find myself cutting something from an old magazine issue that didn't appeal to me then - but does now.

Anyway - I just wanted to give another prospective in particular on the things you mentioned you didn't care for.
    Last edited by meflick; 07-13-2022, 12:05 PM. Reason: typos
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

I don't do any intarsia and probably never will. Not because I don't like it, but because there are no local sources for all the different wood colors I need.

Did the magazine buy a Xyron Creative Station off the shelf and test it in a production environment? If they gave the machine to you at no cost then it is a paid ad.

Please don't assume that because I didn't mention the project that I liked the project. There were some that I didn't like but didn't think it was worth my time to write about them.

I subscribe to the magazine for projects and patterns, not editorial content. In this issue, I didn't get my money's worth.

I have all of the magazines either from my subscription, purchased digital, or purchased used for eBay. There are a lot of good projects in them.

I only recently realised that I could post feedback here and I probably will again.

The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
      -- A E van Vogt
      Weapon Shops of Isher

Comment

My issue arrived a couple days ago. My must cut list continues to grow.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I also thought alot of wasted real estate. I won’t mention the too large patterns. Why can’t they print them in a size to fit on regular or legal paper with percentage to enlarge? That way d/l into program, put in size and presto, it prints out on the number of sheets needed and all I need to do is tape together. Waste of time to fold, print, refold, print again, etc. I have the creative station and only use for certain things, like gift card holders since I do so many. Besides, Bruce can do the cutting and putting on blanks, while he recuperates from knee surgery. Too expensive for the refill but is a timesaver when I need it. I agree with Melanie - put the first page first. So annoying. I would rather see more patterns, the one from Charles Hand has caught my attention, instead of articles that can be found on the internet.

We didn’t have a maker place but there was a shop that had all the tools you would want to use, even a Cnc machine that would make Rolf drool. It could hold 4’x8’ sheets of wood. Also had 2 saw stops, etc., everything a woodworker, artist, clothing designer, on and on would want in a large warehouse. We were going to join for the outlandish price of $10.00 a month, free use of everything as Bruce is a veteran. They then moved into downtown Baltimore. No way.

I miss the Holiday issue every year. I’m always going through my back issues for something “new”.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

My mind set changed dramatically once I became a test cutter for the magazine. When I started scrolling a had very small "like to cut" window.
            The only fretwork was Christmas ornaments. Segmentation and subsequently Intarsia piqued my interest. That said in 2010 when I started doing test cuts I was asked to do projects I would have never considered, not because I couldn't do them but they just did not interest me.
            I quickly realized that once it was cut and made, some of these "I would never cut that" are now some of my favorites. I would have never considered making a wooden gear clock (I have made three and another on the way) or asymmetrical ornaments, to my surprise they sold immediately at our Christmas fair.

I am absolutely blown away by the scrollsaw floor. I do agree about the order of the pages, not a a fan, they have done this before.

I bought a Zyron machine after a Judy Gale Roberts class. I absolutely love it. It saves me a huge amount of time when I go into ornament cutting mode. And for Intarsia, and fretwork. I have never had a pattern lift in the middle of a critical cut. We all develop methods that work best for us.

A final note, I am glad I don't have to come up with ideas and put together a magazine. I suggest to all if you have ideas and or suggestions about content the editors would love to receive them.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X