Tough Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Decisions

I received a letter for the renewal of the magazine. I am offered the special deal of two years for about $48. I guess that i s about $6 per issue. Actually, not a bad deal given the cost of magazines today. Now, I have to decide if it makes sense for me.

At most I might do one project per magazine issue. I would like to support the magazine but am not seeing a value for me.

For me, I like supporting the magazine/hobby, and $25/yr doesn't really affect my budget.

I think eventually, we will lose this resource, like so many other magazines. I'm enjoying it while I still have that choice.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I would have to agree that I've not personally made many designs from the magazine, as I have progressed to making most of my own designs. However, I do enjoy some of the reviews and other articles---as well as checking out techniques of others. I debated as well, but decided to renew. Now I just wish the publisher would save some money and stop sending more renewal notices when I'm already paid up thru summer 2023!
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

I understand supporting the magazine and agree. I just do not find many projects that fit my desires.

I would like to see them do a poll with subscribers to find out what type projects people want to see.

Comment

The never ending dilemma. I only get two magazines SSWWC and Wood carving Illustrated. Even if I don't make something in every issue there is usually something in each one that I have never tried and that will either challenge or inspire me. Yes I know that I do test cutting for them and they have occasionally had me make projects that I would not normally have done.
          Bottom line, the magazine provides a broad selection of projects in one location. How else would you get that type of exposure?
          I am lucky to belong to a local club with members that are true masters in all things wood related, so I do have other sources to challenge me.

Quartz I always tell people to send letters to the editor about things they would like to see. POLLS are always a challenge. When I was president of our local club and of course the other presidents have sent out annual requests, The responses are very disappointing if you get any at all.

New scrollers are the best because they are sponges for new information. techniques, projects etc.
          The older generation (mine) tend to get set in what they like to make and are not open for new directions or challenges. I have a short attention span so I am always looking for something new and challenging.

The club and the magazine has opened my eyes to what is out there. And $25 isn't even lunch for two anymore. at least not here.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Well, unfortunately, I have also decided to let my subscription lapse. I've been debating it for the past couple years. It isn't so much the money, but it's more the disappointment when yet another issue has so little in it that really appeals to me. The final straw was this past Fall/Winter edition that did not have the usual plethora of Christmas ornament patterns. Cutting Christmas ornaments was what got me into the scrolling hobby 25+ years ago. I have tons of patterns and there is an almost infinite number of patterns available on-line, lots of them are even free. But there was something about getting that Christmas issue. I usually waited until it came before I would select the pattern for each year's ornament, because there often would be something unique and appealing to me. I've saved all of the old issues and refer back to them every year, searching for ones I overlooked before.

I had long ago accepted the fact that SSW&C wasn't in business to appeal exclusively to me and my tastes. I prefer traditional fretwork and I also have accepted the fact that the direction of scrolling over the past couple decades has been in decidedly different directions. That's been great for the hobby and I believe it has helped it maintain or even grow. SSW&C would be foolish to cater to dinosaurs like me. I understand and accept all that. I also acknowledge the difficulty of publishing printed materials in today's market. For better or worse, the internet has dramatically changed the information landscape and we may lose most published, printed content within my lifetime. I believe SSW&C is doing the best it can under these difficult circumstances. Sadly though, it's come time for me to look elsewhere for my scrolling needs.

Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

• Kelly Umenhofer
              Kelly Umenhofer commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, Bill Wilson,
              My name is Kelly and I am the new editorial assistant of Fox Chapel Publishing. I am sorry to hear that the last fall/winter issue did not include the types of projects and patterns that you were looking forward. We are currently working on our winter issue for SSW&C and we have about 5 ornament projects that are Christmas themed. Also, our recent fall issue included Halloween themed ornaments with several designs. We always want to reach out to avid scrollers like yourself in hopes of making our magazine the best it can be and cater to as many scrollers as possible.

Bill Wilson...you eloquently expressed my thoughts. I am also frustrated with the difficulty in copying patterns. I am certain that the editors read the forum and perhaps they might try something different. However, they seem to almost completely ignore the forum. They could help themselves by being part of the forum.
            ​​​

Comment

• Kelly Umenhofer
              Kelly Umenhofer commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, Quartz43,
              My name is Kelly and I am the new editorial assistant for Fox Chapel Publishing. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties in copying patterns from the magazine. We strive to make the patterns in the magazine as easy to copy as possible. I am always opening to hearing ideas on how to make copying the patterns easier or discussing the issues that have been occurring while you are copying patterns.

Since I sell 90% of what I make, the other 10% goes to family and for gifts, I can honestly say without this magazine and creative woodworks, I would have no business. The first issue hooked me, I went to the open house met Gary browning, Kathy Wise, Bob Duncan and the staff and I even think I remember meeting you Rolf. In 2002 I jumped in feet first and bought my Hegner. I have some issues that I haven’t even taken the patterns out of and others I have copied so many times I had to make copies for originals. But through the magazine, I found Sue May, Sheila Landry, the Longaburgers, Diana Thompson, Steve, Carole, countless others, and the chat room. I am disappointed in their lack and lateness in publishing holiday items. Right now I am working on the holidays and the fall issue is just too late for those patterns. Didn’t they have a Christmas in July? I remember discussing this with Bob when he was an editor. I am also disappointed in their lack of holiday items overall. You would think they have someone checking this site to see what we are talking about. Since membership has dropped with the switch years ago, maybe they don’t want to devote the few minutes it would take to check it out. And no, I am not writing them that would be redundancy. That’s what I miss most about Bob. He always was interested in what we had to say and let us know that, even if the outcome wasn’t what we were looking for. Maybe the other SSW site is taking over this one. Sorry for my bluntness but that’s the way I roll! Now, to find that issue that has the conch(?) shell made out of plywood. My saw is calling me.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I too miss Bob Duncan. I do not think anyone from FC has taken over that role at least on this forum. If they have I am not sure who. Like Betty, I owe a lot to FC and this forum. If it was not for them and this forum I would have probably turned my saw into a boat anchor years ago. Oh how I looked forward to those open houses in PA and the people I met. I too have been very disappointed in the content of the Christmas / Holiday issues. Maybe FC has become too politically correct. I do recall when they saw numerous complaints here they started sending it out sooner, it comes in mid September and not late October. So they have listened in the past.

While I am not in the business like Betty I do sell some items. It pays for all my wood, supplies and toys. I consider the magazine a tool just like any other tool in my shop. Some times the tool may sit ideal for a long long time but when I need it I am glad it was there. I probably find 4-5 things a year from the magazine that I want to make so to me it is worth it.

Quartz43 and Bill while you may have dropped the publication I hope you guys stay with us here on the forum.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Absolutely everyone here has made valid points. That's part of what I've liked about this group.....different view points and different ideas. And we respect the diversity. You people rock!
                Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Since I refuse to subscribe till they do something about the patterns in the pull out. They even made the DVD tough to print patterns.

What I do is look at the index of the book on scrollsawer.com and if see something I might want to cut I go to Walmart and check out the book. If I like it I will buy it. In Canada it is cheaper that way and I only buy odd issue that way.
                  Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I did that with Creative Woodworks. But when Bruce's group had their monthly meetings and swaps, somehow or other the ones I didn't buy ended up here! I keep all my holiday ones separate. But I also look at other patterns and think how I can reuse it. But sometimes that is just too much for my brain to comprehend! Linda, you rock too! I wish I had the talent you and others have for intarsia. I believe it is something called patience, which I have been short changed on since birth! Now to find the seashell pattern.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

SSWWC and the older CWWC magazines were and are still a great source of for my Christmas ornaments. I can't count the times we have gone through the issues an said "how did we miss this one". I agree I was disappointed with the lack of Christmas and holiday patterns in last years Winter edition.

But my opinion on the direction of the magazine is different. I never want to cut another early American Victorian fretwork pattern. Yes they are stunning and I did enjoy making them. But those projects don't appeal to my wife or myself and end up in boxes in my basement. The generation that enjoys these things is slowly disappearing and the next generation has absolutely no interest so most of these items and other things we collect end up in a dumpster. It rips my heart out when I go to estate sales and see my future.

Fretwork is not my favorite but I absolutely love the beauty and challenge of the designers FC has brought in, Charles Hand, Fiona to mention a couple. You can immediately see what the image is. So many fretwork designers seem to add holes just because they can.

I want to see new designers and ideas, I may not like them or cut them, but they are necessary for the survival of the hobby and subsequently the magazine.

Regarding Bob, I have tried contacting him without success. I hope he is OK.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I will chime in on this discussion. I was a test cutter up until I could not because of Covid. They have not contacted me since. I still subscribe to the magazine, but there maybe one pattern I might cut in each issue.

As for Bob, I tried to contact Bob to no avail.
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

" It rips my heart out when I go to estate sales and see my future."

I am sure you know how important and relevant that comment is Rolf! I have seen a number of scroll sawn projects over the years at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. I know whoever made them put in a lot of work and time into them and they are selling for 5 - 6 dollars or less!

I even bought a band saw box that is oak with a redwood (looks like) burl top to it. Two jewelry trays felt lined and six small compartments with lids also felt lined. The price: $6.00! That box would sell for $100 of I made it!

The German magazine I subscribe to has done a number of more modern patterns, but I don't know how it's sales are. SWWC has been doing more modern patterns as well.

Karl
                          Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X