Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will8989
    replied
    If there are no buyers of the magazine there is no magazine for advertisers. First rule of business I learned 30 years ago, don’t ignore your customers.

Leave a comment:

• RJweb
    replied
    It seems the magazine is only interested in their advertisers that’s where there money is, RJ

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    I can’t tell you how many times I deleted what I wrote until I posted what I did. Your comments were much more generous than I was. It just baffles me they took so long for a non answer. They are doing a lousy job of filling the shoes of Shannon, Melanie and Bob. There is another site for SSW and there is a lot of new people getting into scrolling. If they expect to compete with today’s technology they really need to step up their game. ARE YOU LISTENING!!!
    Rolf, does it really matter where they are from? Being ignored is being ignored no matter who does it. On another note, I hope you are safe from the hurricane. It missed us completely.
    Last edited by will8989; 08-22-2021, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    I don't know if the admin is for the website or from the publisher. I agree not a great response.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Betty, Melanie, Linda very well said. Thank you. I could not have said it any better. The only thing I would add is many readers live in rural areas. For me the nearest Staples is 1 hour and 15 minutes away so a copy service is not even an option.

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    I'm going to have to agree that the Administrators answer fell short of addressing the multitude of concerns expressed on this thread, and similar ones. Creative Woodworks and Crafts magazine was a sad loss, and I would prefer this one not follow suit through inaction. The people on this forum are the die-hards. We've promoted this magazine through our own endeavors, defended it in debates, and want it to thrive. Please forum admins---listen, brainstorm, and try some new ways to approach things. We appreciate the variety of knowledge your readers have and how difficult that is, but we want to see this magazine and forum grow!

Leave a comment:

• meflick
    replied
    Originally posted by rottier View Post
    Thank you for letting the SSW team know the issue that you are having with copying larger patterns. For the swordfish pattern in particular, scrollers can print out or photocopy the swordfish from the pullout (about six 8 1/2" by 11" pages) and tape the pages together to form the entire pattern.This then can be adhered directly to the wood with a repositionable spray adhesive. In addition, office supply stores can scan your entire pattern pullout and print it out on one page just for a few dollars. Thanks again for sending us your feedback, and happy scrolling!
    Like Betty, I considered this to be a poor response from a customer service representative and believe you have missed totally the issue. One of the main reasons people buy the magazine is for the patterns. If they are not easy to work with and copy, they won’t bother and will quit buying the magazine. If that happens with enough readers/ subscribers the magazine will shut down. Unfortunately more and more magazines are being lost. This is the last one for scrollers. I would hate to lose it. I am relatively sure that the bulk of your audience is not young, tech savvy individuals who own large copiers and equipment to easily make copies, especially large copies. I am sure many if not most are retired and on fixed budgets so to say you can copy for a few dollars may not be true for many on a fixed income. Pasting together parts and pieces may not be quite as easy with 50, 60, 70 year old eyes as it is when you are 20 or 30. 😏

Fortunately for me, I own a large printer and copier. I am tech savvy and can work to get copies I need if I really want to copy a pattern. I can afford to go spend a few dollars on a large copy at the office supply store. HOWEVER, I still find that it is a pain to do so with many of the patterns. The request is a simple one, to see if you can make it easier. I personally HATE when the pattern is broken up into pieces that need to be taped together. I would much rather be able to have it smaller but one piece that I can then scale up, or better, download at full size to then print as needed at home or to send to an office supply store via email to print out. Honestly, there are a lot of tech improvements that could be utilized to make it easier for you to deliver the product to your end users but, for whatever reason, the magazine seems stuck in “the old ways” much more than your client base. There are easier ways to do the patterns then the big bulky sheet. We would simply like to see those considered. Clearly from this response that is not being done.
    Last edited by meflick; 08-21-2021, 02:21 PM. Reason: Typos (but I probably missed some) 😉

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    What a non answer answer. You told us to do what we are already doing. Good thing I don’t dismiss my customers the way you just dismissed us. I would have no business.
    Last edited by will8989; 08-21-2021, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Umenhofer
    replied
    Thank you for letting the SSW team know the issue that you are having with copying larger patterns. For the swordfish pattern in particular, scrollers can print out or photocopy the swordfish from the pullout (about six 8 1/2" by 11" pages) and tape the pages together to form the entire pattern.This then can be adhered directly to the wood with a repositionable spray adhesive. In addition, office supply stores can scan your entire pattern pullout and print it out on one page just for a few dollars. Thanks again for sending us your feedback, and happy scrolling!

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Karl Thanks for the link.

Ejay, I feel that the magazine has really improved on the overall balance of projects.
    It has always been that the fretwork guys say too much Intarsia and the Intarsia folks say way too much fretwork. Wherever you go for patterns the main thing is that it is something you want to make and that you continue to make sawdust.

For me I am always looking for new directions as I got real tired of the same old Victorian fretwork patterns, even though they are fun to make and stunning to look at but will never be displayed in my house, I have cut a lot of that style as a test cutter.
    Last edited by Rolf; 08-13-2021, 12:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wjbclocks1
    replied
    I take out the pattern page go to a printing shop and get two copies of them all. That way I can cut the one I want and save the rest,

Leave a comment:

• ejay
    replied
    I'm one who doesn't post but loves to read the forums I've been a member of this forum and a subscriber since 2010 and an avid scroller for over 20 years. As much as I would love to see this magazine continue, i am seriously thinking of not renewing. I am well into my 70's and on a limited budget. I scourer construction sites for my wood as I cannot afford to buy exotic woods. Yet the last few years this magazine has been nothing but intarsia and fancy woods. Or my wife sees a pattern that she likes and asks me to cut it only to find out that it is show and tell only I used to look forward to the special Christmas issue but we no longer receive that. I find more free patterns on the web than I do here. Case in point look up Steve Goods site. Over 2000 patterns and all downloadable to 8x10 paper. No fighting to try and fit them on the printer screen and keep changing sizes till I get it right. Sorry if this comes over harsh, I have a hard time putting words to paper.

Leave a comment:

• KarlB
    replied
    Here is a price tracker on that printer:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B006WAPTVM

It did use to be MUCH cheaper!

I always use this to check on the price of anything expensive on Amazon.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    I am sure that it was in the $300+ range when originally purchased.
    I have had to replace the print head as it dried up beyond rescue because of infrequent use.
    I t is starting to act up again for the same reason. So hopefully a thorough cleaning process will save it.

Leave a comment:

• Quartz43
    replied
    Rolf...sorry if I got the wrong price but I Googled for the Epson Artisan 1430 and found this on Amazon.
    Screenshot_20210810-150443.png
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X