No announcement yet.

Tough Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My renewal bill showed up yesterday and was about $42 for two years. With sadness, I filed it in the circular file. I will consider renewal if Fox Chapel actually does something with the patterns. So far, I have observed no progress.

Any patterns I want will be bought from one of the great websites selling patterns.

Comment

Sorry to hear you won't be renewing. Each time they loose a subscriber is not good for keeping the magazine going, but I understand.

While I am not a fan of the big pattern sheets, and would prefer they were easier to copy and scan on a home scanner/copier, I am still technically savvy enough to usually be able to do so when I need. But it’s not always easy.

Like others, I wish they were available to download from a website for subscribers but I also understand the issues and concerns with that. However, anyone who really wants to "cheat" will find a way as we all know.

Maybe they can figure something out that will work for more based on the feedback. I would think that they might figure out that many on here are very loyal subscribers that care enough to speak up. Most others just let it go and just don't renew. As the only magazine left for scrollers, I would hate to see it lost.
      Last edited by meflick; 08-06-2021, 07:49 AM.
      Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by meflick View Post
        Sorry to hear you won't be renewing. Each time they loose a subscriber is not good for keeping the magazine going, but I understand.

While I am not a fan of the big pattern sheets, and would prefer they were easier to copy and scan on a home scanner/copier, I am still technically savvy enough to usually be able to do so when I need. But it’s not always easy.

Like others, I wish they were available to download from a website for subscribers but I also understand the issues and concerns with that. However, anyone who really wants to "cheat" will find a way as we all know.

Maybe they can figure something out that will work for more based on the feedback. I would think that they might figure out that many on here are very loyal subscribers that care enough to speak up. Most others just let it go and just don't renew. As the only magazine left for scrollers, I would hate to see it lost.
        There is this one but you need to read German. FEINSCHNITTkreativ | DAS MAGAZIN | Laub- und Dekupiersägevorlagen (feinschnitt-kreativ.de) TBT I did make a nativity intarsia that was in a back issue (Winter 2015). Patterns are patterns. I did need to go a German to English website to try and figure out what woods were used. FOR THE RECORD that magazine has the same large pattern sheets centerfold like SSWC.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Yes Scott, I have also obtained a few copies of the German scroll saw magazine you reference as I have seen patterns in it I liked. The nativity one you referenced was one of them and I think that may have been what first alerted me to that magazine. I agree patterns are patterns, but it is still a bit difficult if you don’t know German. I enjoy getting SSWC and seeing what is in it and would hate to lose it.
          Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by meflick View Post
            Yes Scott, I have also obtained a few copies of the German scroll saw magazine you reference as I have seen patterns in it I liked. The nativity one you referenced was one of them and I think that may have been what first alerted me to that magazine. I agree patterns are patterns, but it is still a bit difficult if you don’t know German. I enjoy getting SSWC and seeing what is in it and would hate to lose it.
            We are 110% in agreement.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Quartz, sorry to hear that. I always look forward to see what new and different projects are in the magazine. Many times they take me in a direction or style of cutting that I had never considered before.

I have forwarded our concerns to the editors. This issue is being seriously looked at.
              We have been discussing different approaches to pattern scaling and printing since I joined this forum and looking at my number of my post it has been a while .

There are so many ways to approach this issue and each of us would do things based on our resources and computer skills.
              It would be nice if oversize patterns were split up in 8 1/2 x 11 sections to be printed and then taped. Scanning a large pattern is, to me, the only real challenge.
              Even if you had an 8 1/2 x 11 pattern with a scaling factor, you would still need to have a printer capable of printing the larger image or once again have to paste several prints together. Even if the pattern were already scaled in a digital format.

After I retired my wife bought me the Epson Artison 1430 capable of a 13 x 19 print.

I am constantly converting metric to imperial or the other direction and changing the scale of projects to fit my wood. To me this is all a part of the hobby.

Last edited by Rolf; 08-09-2021, 08:16 AM.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

True Rolf, but at least you aren’t twisting, turning, wrinkling, and ripping the original. Not to mention when you twist and turn a pattern it takes several attempts to get all part of the pattern to a point you can cut and tape together. In the meantime a 5 minute project has turned into 20 with wasted paper and a lot of frustration. I use the basic rapid resizer
                program. I can either choose proportional and it will resize the pattern to the width I put in. For my baskets, I turn off proportional and put in width and height, paper size and 100%.. Prints the number of sheets I need for size of paper. By the time I get upstairs to the copier the pattern is printed. I tape it together and put on wood. All in 5 minutes. Besides, aren’t there already patterns in the magazine say enlarge to and they give a %.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Rolf, I am glad that Fox is considering things and you have been in contact with them. However, they have been considering them for a long time and fail to acknowledge any progress on their own forum. Sadly, this lack of any progress may result in loss of subscribers. I find this very difficult to understand the lack of communication.

That is a nice printer and I checked on it on Amazon. I think the $3239.99 price tag is well beyond what many would be able to spend.

I believe it is important to consider the financial and computer capabilities of those who do scrollsaw projects. Wrestling with the large fold up sheet is a real barrier to quite a few scrollers.

Comment

I think this discussion has been going on since I bought my first issue.

Yikes! There is no way my wife paid that much for the printer. My wife spoils me, but not that much. I know it was discontinued a few years ago. never expected the price to go up, certainly not to that level..
                    I would love to see a new one with Ink tanks like my ET 4750. no more ink cartridge's.

Betty if the large patterns were broken up into individual 8.5 x 11 sheets To be fair to all subscribers they would have to have additional pages or available as a down load.

I am glade I am not in the decision making business anymore. Retirement is a wonderful thing.
                    Rolf

Comment

Rolf...sorry if I got the wrong price but I Googled for the Epson Artisan 1430 and found this on Amazon.
                      Screenshot_20210810-150443.png
                      Attached Files

Comment

I am sure that it was in the $300+ range when originally purchased.
                        I have had to replace the print head as it dried up beyond rescue because of infrequent use.
                        I t is starting to act up again for the same reason. So hopefully a thorough cleaning process will save it.
                        Rolf

Comment

Here is a price tracker on that printer:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B006WAPTVM

It did use to be MUCH cheaper!

I always use this to check on the price of anything expensive on Amazon.

Karl
                          Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

I'm one who doesn't post but loves to read the forums I've been a member of this forum and a subscriber since 2010 and an avid scroller for over 20 years. As much as I would love to see this magazine continue, i am seriously thinking of not renewing. I am well into my 70's and on a limited budget. I scourer construction sites for my wood as I cannot afford to buy exotic woods. Yet the last few years this magazine has been nothing but intarsia and fancy woods. Or my wife sees a pattern that she likes and asks me to cut it only to find out that it is show and tell only I used to look forward to the special Christmas issue but we no longer receive that. I find more free patterns on the web than I do here. Case in point look up Steve Goods site. Over 2000 patterns and all downloadable to 8x10 paper. No fighting to try and fit them on the printer screen and keep changing sizes till I get it right. Sorry if this comes over harsh, I have a hard time putting words to paper.

Comment

I take out the pattern page go to a printing shop and get two copies of them all. That way I can cut the one I want and save the rest,

Comment

Karl Thanks for the link.

Ejay, I feel that the magazine has really improved on the overall balance of projects.
                                It has always been that the fretwork guys say too much Intarsia and the Intarsia folks say way too much fretwork. Wherever you go for patterns the main thing is that it is something you want to make and that you continue to make sawdust.

For me I am always looking for new directions as I got real tired of the same old Victorian fretwork patterns, even though they are fun to make and stunning to look at but will never be displayed in my house, I have cut a lot of that style as a test cutter.
                                Last edited by Rolf; 08-13-2021, 11:14 AM.
                                Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X