No announcement yet.

Tough Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Question.. I have all the past issues.. I doubt that I find one pattern a year that is worth the subscription cost. I have cut for the magazine and made a few buck that covers my costs,, But I owe that to Bob Duncan.. I think the new admins try but are not involved in this group like bob was.. They seem to care and I hope the enter the digital age.. I hate scanning..........
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

I always tell my wife that when I see my ornaments at a Yard sale it will be time for me to stop making them.

I have always cut things that appeal to my and my wife's taste. What is the point of cutting something that doesn't bring you joy. Years ago I test cut some asymmetric ornaments, they just rubbed my compulsive German side wrong. Much to my surprise they all sold at my Christmas fair, people loved them.

I have been test cutting for 11 years and cut a lot of things that initially did not appeal to my taste. I now keep an open mind and greatly appreciate that FC is trying to keep the hobby fresh, If they only catered to us geriatrics they would have been gone years ago.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Agree with that Rolf. Newbies need stuff too. I prefer intarsia, 2nd up with fret. A scroller friend of mine locally prefers the toys. Another dude I get together with loves household items. And then there's Gene who wants to dabble in everything because he's new and doesn't yet know which direction he likes best---just knows he wants easy for learning. Lots of areas to cover.
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

About 10 years ago one of my basket collector customers at another farmers market I did went to a yard sale and saw the type of basket she bought from me. She said the price was rather expensive for a yard sale so she started questioning how it was done, not sure the answer she would be getting. The person said he had cut it but couldn't answer the machine he used. Upon further inspection she found my signature. She pointed it out to him and said she was a collector of my baskets and he did not make it. Needless to say, he was quite embarrassed. When I first started signing baskets I did not sign on the bottom. I would sign on the 3 rung up on the bottom. Guess he overlooked it when trying to pass it off as his.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty you will love this then----in 2018 I had a lady who custom ordered a giraffe family puzzle from me from maple, of a very specific size and arrangement. Her payment bounced back a few days after delivery. She refused to take my calls and ignored my texts. She had found me on Facebook initially, so I thought to look there. Bingo. Same lady. And that Facebook page linked me to her website. Her website where she had that very item up for sale....as her own creation. Guess who got a post on their business linked Facebook page about their "past due" funds for the item I'd made at her request? Yup. And she got an earful of complaints from people.
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

WOW Linda, that is slimy to say the least. I sign everything I make can't imagine taking credit for someone else's work. Betty in sad way that is funny that they were snagged by a savvy and loyal customer.
              Rolf

Comment

Lots of good points being made. This discussion and ones like it are big reasons why I'll stick around this forum, regardless of whether or not I subscribe to the magazine.

Regarding Rolf's point about tiring of certain styles, your point is well taken. It's been my dream, ever since I joined a scroll saw club almost 16 years ago now, to eventually build at least one of the great, classic fretwork clocks. There are multiple reasons why I may never end up doing one. One of them is that I have no idea what I would do with it. A few of our club members have passed on and their families struggled mightily with what to do with their massive collections. I tend to cut things that appeal to me, even if it is intended for someone else. I don't make stuff to sell and don't ever intend to. I am not nearly as prolific as those departed club members were, so unless I kick it into high gear, after I retire someday, I won't have to worry too much about stuff I make becoming yard sale or flea market fodder. Now my tools, that's another story. 😁
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I have less than 10 items, other than ornaments and Christmas, of what I made. My family has received baskets, cutting boards, pepper grinders, etc. for 19 years. I made items for the grandkids, nieces, nephews, boy/girlfriends also get the special Christmas ornament. You get the idea. Bruce was cleaning up a piece of beautiful cherry today from the tree we cut down. I will make something from that for us. All Bruce would have to worry about is my books, magazines and patterns. And chickens. Lots of chickens. And how to handle the finances.
                  Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Skimming through this post, I came across 1 response to Quartz and one to Bill Wilson as PMs from Kelly, a new editorial assistant, regarding our comments. Here is my 2 cents regarding the copying. To understand what we mean, please take the issue with the sword fish on the front and copy that on a Copier that has a regular size screen, which I believe most of us have. It has to be folded, copied in sections, cut, taped and refolded, recopied, cut and taped several more times, with the final size being copied on legal size paper, cut and taped for a final pattern. IF the patterns could be printed to fit on letter size paper, I could scan it into the rapid resizer program, put in the size of the pattern in the magazine, it would than print it on several pieces of paper that all I had to do is tape together. 5 minutes as opposed to 20+ and a pattern page all wrinkled from all the folding. I really think someone should take all the patterns from one of the magazines and copy each one to see what we are talking about. Make sense? Thank you for taking the time to answer us. Please post your answer here instead of a pm.
                    Last edited by will8989; 07-23-2021, 11:19 PM.
                    Betty

Comment

• rottier
                      rottier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi, will8989,

My name is Kelly and I am the editorial assistant for Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts. Thank you for sending us your feedback on the magazine's patterns. We are currently looking into the pattern issues. We appreciate your feedback on how we can improve all elements of our magazine.

Most of the books have the page size pattern with a scaling factor on the page. I am fine with that. Then there is the issue of the less computer literate who will have no clue about scaling or have the resources to do so. Maybe for the oversize patterns have an additional scaled copy to fit a standard copier.

For me the ability to scan, resize, copy and print is a required tool set / capability you need for this hobby.

Betty I sent you a PM.

Rolf

Comment

Thanks Rolf. You said in way less words than I did.
                      Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                        Skimming through this post, I came across 1 response to Quartz and one to Bill Wilson as PMs from Kelly, a new editorial assistant, regarding our comments. Here is my 2 cents regarding the copying. To understand what we mean, please take the issue with the sword fish on the front and copy that on a Copier that has a regular size screen, which I believe most of us have. It has to be folded, copied in sections, cut, taped and refolded, recopied, cut and taped several more times, with the final size being copied on legal size paper, cut and taped for a final pattern. IF the patterns could be printed to fit on letter size paper, I could scan it into the rapid resizer program, put in the size of the pattern in the magazine, it would than print it on several pieces of paper that all I had to do is tape together. 5 minutes as opposed to 20+ and a pattern page all wrinkled from all the folding. I really think someone should take all the patterns from one of the magazines and copy each one to see what we are talking about. Make sense? Thank you for taking the time to answer us. Please post your answer here instead of a pm.
                        I think Kelly did that because I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about an article in the last addition. It was the article about staying connected online and it didn't mention the FC forum.
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I would be pleased if FC at least did a trial of printing A pattern on regular sized text and also providing a scale up factor. Their resistance to do anything if a real pain. It was a similar lack of action with the website that resulted in lost viewers.

Comment

Scott, I was referring to her pms to Bill Wilson and Quartz. They posted her reply by pms instead of on here.
                            Would be nice Quartz. I asked got Bob to put the issue next tp patterns and he said something about real estate. He found a way to do it and didn’t lose any real estate. Guess they don’t care about “real estate” anymore.
                            Last edited by will8989; 07-27-2021, 11:00 AM.
                            Betty

Comment

Thank you Kelly for your response. This has been an issue for years. I agree with Rolf about the rescaling and resizing and just don’t understand why this can’t be done. Looking forward to the solution fox chapel comes up with.
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X