No announcement yet.

Spring Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let my subscription lapse as I have difficulties handling the patterns on the broad sheet in the centre.

I saw the latest book available at Walmart and had quick look. I think only one pattern is in the book and 11 on the insert. Didn't buy.

Until they start and make the patterns available online or make them so you can scan as Betty suggested above, I will pass.

I have written to the publisher a couple of times and "they are working on it"

If others feel the same way please write to the publisher.
    Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Don I agree to have the digitized patter would be great. But it is just as challenging to print a pattern that is bigger than the letter size printers that most folks have at home. How would you print them? When I was still working I had access to huge "E" size printers. Scanning was still a challenge. I knew I had to be able to at least be able to print a "B" size pattern 11" x 17" so for that first Christmas after retiring my Wife bought me the Epson 1430 that will print 13" x 19".
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf

I use acrobat reader. The poster feature will enlarge and if it goes to multiple pages it will put in cut marks. Even if the page is over letter size it will spread to multiple pages at 100%.

If it is in PDF form you can open with Inkscape or GIMP and select what you want and save in PDF.

In an issue a couple back it had an Intarsia pattern that I would need 5 or 6 copies. Staples quoted me $21 to scan broadsheet to psf,

I found a printing house that usually does blueprints etc and they gave me 6 copies for $10. all plus 13% tax.

Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I had to fool around with copying and taping a pattern again today. This wasn’t as bad as the fish, but still a pain. I use rapid resizer. Scan a pattern, put in size I want and it prints it out. If more than one page, it numbers each page at the top and I tape them together. Had the fish pattern been 8x11 or 8x14 it would have been no problem. Bruce also said something about patterns being sized for lasers. Then he said but the magazine says scrollsaw not laser. Would be nice if the magazine would chime in on this topic.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

No doubt, the large patterns are a real challenge. Not many have a large size printer. Going out and finding a place to do large scans and prints is problematic with the virus and many of us are older.

I wish they would not print the patterns with the grey. Pure black and white is easier to scan and print.

Maybe, my issue will show up this week. Anyone else not gotten theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Quartz43 View Post
              No doubt, the large patterns are a real challenge. Not many have a large size printer. Going out and finding a place to do large scans and prints is problematic with the virus and many of us are older.

I wish they would not print the patterns with the grey. Pure black and white is easier to scan and print.

Maybe, my issue will show up this week. Anyone else not gotten theirs.
              I am still waiting.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

[QUOTE=Quartz43;n873079]No doubt, the large patterns are a real challenge. Not many have a large size printer. Going out and finding a place to do large scans and prints is problematic with the virus and many of us are older.

I have to agree with you I am not a fan of the grey patterns, but for a new scroller it is much easier to identify what gets cut. Many of the new members in our club had a problem with that.

Betty ,
                I scan the different sections of a large pattern then stitch them together in one of my photo editing programs to create one combined image. I can then scale it to whatever I want. For intarsia it doesn't matter as I cut individual pieces anyway. And those are the only ones that can get bigger than my printing capacity

Rolf

Comment

I agree that with fret work the grey areas may be useful but not needed for Intarsia and some others. It would not be difficult to use grey for some patterns and just lines on others.

Another thing to note is that not many have the ability, software or equipment to stitch patterns back together. Technology can be difficult for the older crowd

Comment

YEAH!!!! My copy arrived today.

As for the best ways to copy/scanning/store/print etc that might be a good article series FC might consider.
                    Scott
                    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Scotch tape works, too. 😉
                      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

And I used lots of it Carole! Folding, copying, lining up, matching, cutting away waste, repeat. A pattern the size of letter or legal size paper would have been much less time consuming.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                          Scotch tape works, too. 😉
                          You got to be able to scan first.

Carole you talk to the publishers maybe you can explain the situation.

Comment

Absolutely amazing.... I got my copy in the mail today !

Comment

I think it would be wonderful if the publishers would consider some of the comments and see if they might make some modifications.

Comment

I am of the older crowd, LOL , I was blessed with a father, old world German tool maker and a Mom that turned into a techno junky. She got into computers in her mid 70's and digital embroidery, started digitized music that she played using computer software. she was a seamstress, by profession.
                                Thanks to both of them I inherited some skills and a need for challenges that have earned me a decent living.
                                Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Misouri Wayne
                                  Reply to Spiral Blades - Tips & Tricks?
                                  by Misouri Wayne
                                  Thanks for the post. I have tried spirals in the past and had lots of issues. I need to set down one day and keep cutting with them until I get the hang of it. Part of my problem may have been covered by your number 7. Tried pine thinking it would be easy to cut but now realize the grain may have...
                                  Today, 07:05 PM
                                • Sandy Oaks
                                  Reply to Eagle
                                  by Sandy Oaks
                                  I agree, a beautiful piece and wonderful cutting. Years ago, my father had Alzheimer. The last six months we had him in the VA center in St. Cloud MN. His wood work shop is still in MN. I could not take it down to TN....
                                  Today, 12:00 PM
                                • Rolf
                                  by Rolf
                                  I have been using spiral a lot more lately Thanks to Charles Hand stunning designs. I have used them of and on since I started scrolling.
                                  They were a real challenge on my Old Delta SS350. cutting straight in and out was easy, trying to cut details going sideways was the problem because of the...
                                  Today, 09:16 AM
                                • Jimern
                                  by Jimern
                                  The best tip I have with spirals is to cut straight lines backwards. instead of pushing the work piece into the blade, pull it toward you. Seems to allow for better control on straight lines (most other lines too)
                                  Today, 05:27 AM
                                • Linda In Phoenix
                                  Reply to Mexican Covid19 Vaccination logo - my version :)
                                  by Linda In Phoenix
                                  Go Wylie Coyote!!!
                                  Yesterday, 09:19 PM
                                Working...
                                X