No announcement yet.

Summer issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done several fret work shelves lately, strange since fretwork is my least favorite type of scroll work. Most of them are in a darker wood.
    The one in this issue in lighter curly maple is much more appealing to me. Also interesting to me how photo's show all of the defects I missed.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, photos can be cruel! The eye sees what it expects; the camera sees what's really there.

I've cringed at subtle glue marks, drips, irregularities that I'd swear I corrected, and the list goes on and on. That's why I usually get away from a project before declaring it finished, and it helps catch some of the "uglies".

On the other hand, nobody else is likely to notice what the maker is so glaring!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope that when you test cut they send you the pattern in the broadsheet in the middle of the book so you have to struggle too.
        Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Don, what is giving you trouble? I know it is a large pattern. After I retired my wife bought the Epson Artisan printer capable of printing up to 13 x 19.
          But to answer your question , I do not get this big sheet they send me the electronic version. But I have to check the drawings very carefully especially the older vintage ones like this. Several of the tabs did not align with the mortised holes so I had to correct them. I hope that those corrections made to the pattern.
          With any of this type of assembly I will cut the pieces with the tabs first then use that as a reference to mark my mortise locations.

I just checked the pattern and it has not been corrected.!
          The Tabs "C" on shelf "4" do not align perfectly with the Holes "C" in the main frame.

Here are a few photos of what to check for.

I will let the editors know.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Rolf; 04-10-2019, 08:48 AM.
          Rolf

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Rolf. I'll be sure to make a note of it, on the pattern, in case I get ambitious and decide to cut that.
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Rolf the issue is scanning the broadsheet. I don't want to cut the page up to pattern as it is printed on both sides.

I sometimes can fold in such a way to get the pattern to fit even if it takes a couple of scans and then tape together. (or stitch on the computer)

In this day and age I think that the patterns could be made available even it cost a couple of bucks more on your subscription.

There are times were I think I might cut but it is just too much hassle.

I have written to the publisher and they said " They are working on it" (a few years ago).
              Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Got mine 2 days ago. The shelf jumped out at me as something I would make for a family member for an extra Christmas gift. But then I would feel compelled to make something extra for my basketball partner sister-in-law and the wine box would be perfect. I would not make those to sell due to the time it takes to make them and the return on time investment. We all look at the articles differently. I look to see what something new I could bring to my Farmers Market, since I do that one regularly. Puzzles are my best seller, the sealife puzzle has not been surpassed as the most sold, so far 50. Bruce already has 25 boxes made for me for this year. I was a little disappointed in the dolphin puzzle as it has a dowl to hold in place. This is a chocking hazard and therefore, I would not make it as 80% of my puzzles are bought for children. My liability insurance company thanks me. I really liked Tomer Makowitz puzzle as I have seen alot of his cut puzzles on Pinterest. That I will make and it will sell rather well since I am a "stones throw" from the Chesapeake Bay. Would like to see more of his work. Love the gift tags, just have to figure a way to use them. Now I am really excited about the next issue. Are you kidding me Work hard, play hard truck puzzles! They will literally roll off my table! Bruce had a comment about the Pegas Bandsaw. We'll just leave it at that. Well, back to work! Rather, I need to get started for today. Have a good day everyone. RJ, notice the time? LOL
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

work hard play hard puzzles? where does one find that pattern?
                  Rolf

Comment

It’s in the preview for the next issue. Don’t know if I can wait that long!! Dump truck, front end loader and a crane. Elliott will go nuts!!! When does the next issue come out Bob?
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Wow that's 3 times you posted today and its still light out, enjoy your grandson, they grow up to fast,
                      can you post a picture of the boxes Bruce has made for you, thx RJ
                      Last edited by RJweb; 04-11-2019, 06:33 PM.
                      Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

They are the cases for my Sealife puzzle. I tried to upload a picture of the puzzle in the box But The upload attachment is showing no photo. It was working until the Apple did a software update.🤪🤪
                        Last edited by will8989; 04-11-2019, 10:26 PM.
                        Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                          Got mine 2 days ago. The shelf jumped out at me as something I would make for a family member for an extra Christmas gift. But then I would feel compelled to make something extra for my basketball partner sister-in-law and the wine box would be perfect. I would not make those to sell due to the time it takes to make them and the return on time investment. We all look at the articles differently. I look to see what something new I could bring to my Farmers Market, since I do that one regularly. Puzzles are my best seller, the sealife puzzle has not been surpassed as the most sold, so far 50. Bruce already has 25 boxes made for me for this year. I was a little disappointed in the dolphin puzzle as it has a dowl to hold in place. This is a chocking hazard and therefore, I would not make it as 80% of my puzzles are bought for children. My liability insurance company thanks me. I really liked Tomer Makowitz puzzle as I have seen alot of his cut puzzles on Pinterest. That I will make and it will sell rather well since I am a "stones throw" from the Chesapeake Bay. Would like to see more of his work. Love the gift tags, just have to figure a way to use them. Now I am really excited about the next issue. Are you kidding me Work hard, play hard truck puzzles! They will literally roll off my table! Bruce had a comment about the Pegas Bandsaw. We'll just leave it at that. Well, back to work! Rather, I need to get started for today. Have a good day everyone. RJ, notice the time? LOL
                          How on earth do you get liability insurance that covers childrens' toys/puzzles? The cost must be very high.
                          bb
                          Regards,
                          Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

Does everyone have their summer issue? I have not received mine. Fellow woodworker in same zip code got his last week! I am annoyed big time!
                            bb
                            Regards,
                            Brian

visit us at Pickens Puzzles: www.pickenspuzzles.com

Comment

You might contact the magazine's customer service directly and see if they think you should have received it by now. It is possible it got lost, mis-delivered or "stolen" perhaps. Could also have gotten damaged in the mail system. Plus, I think that the Postal Service has a "window of time" that they can deliver magazines and such which is why there is such disparity in delivery dates sometimes. All of that would be outside of Fox Chapel's control. This was the first time I seemed to have gotten my copy on the "front end" of the delivery cycle.

I would think the magazine could get you a new one sent out to you if you reach out to them. Here is the link to Fox Chapel's Customer Service info: https://foxchapelpublishing.com/customer-service

They do list a toll free number to call in addition to an email address.
                              Melanie from East TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
                                Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                                by Bill Wilson
                                First, follow the instructions on the can, regarding wait time between coats. I would think that for the first couple coats, re-applying while the previous coat was still tacky wouldn't be terrible, but I would warn that building several coats without allowing proper drying time, will extend the overall,...
                                Today, 08:50 AM
                              • Don in Brooklin On
                                Reply to wipe on poly and tack cloth
                                by Don in Brooklin On
                                I use wipe on poly quite often and I apply 2 thin coats before sanding with 220 or 320. I wipe with a lint free. Someone told me not to use tack cloth as you can leave behind a wee bit of beeswax witch could cause issues later on.

I make sure that the surface is dry and not tacky before...
                                Yesterday, 05:41 AM
                              • dwssr2
                                wipe on poly and tack cloth
                                by dwssr2
                                Question, when sanding polyurethane in between coats, using a tack cloth, is it ok to wipe on poly while the project seems tacky or should a person wait a few hours to let it dry?
                                How necessary is it to sand between coats of polyurethane? I am sure people have a lot of different opinions and...
                                04-24-2019, 05:58 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                                by tgiro01
                                Betty asked: "Where does the responsibility of the maker of an item end and the responsibility of the purchaser begin? My sealife puzzle is purchased by older people due to its complexity but - if they leave it laying around and a child gets a part and chokes, is that my responsibility or theirs?"...
                                04-24-2019, 12:20 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to Do you know what this Is?
                                by RJweb
                                The problem now a days everyone is sue happy, no matter who’s at fault, RJ...
                                04-24-2019, 10:03 AM
                              Working...
                              X