• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobD (Archive)
    -
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Aug 2004

Pegas Scroll Band Saw unboxing video

If my kids are any indication, unboxing videos are popular. So instead of watching hours of someone opening the newest video game, or clothes, or shoes, we decided to give woodworkers a chance to see us opening and assembling Pegas' new Scroll Band Saw.

Cut wood up to 6-1/4″ thick with the accuracy of a scroll saw By The Staff of Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Opening the Box Stay Tuned for a Full Review     Related posts: We Review the New Pégas Scroll Band Saw Product Review – Pégas Super Skip Blades Product …

Honestly, I'm blown away by this tool. We're finishing up our review, but there is no other tool like this on the market right now. I can't wait to share more with you!
    (If I sound giddy, well... it's because I am giddy. This is a seriously cool tool!)
  • Quartz43
    • Dec 2011

That is an interesting saw but at about $1440 is very expensive.

I am using a 10" Rikon with a Carter Stabilizer and have 1/8" blades on it. Maybe not as good as the Pegas but a quarter of the cost.

Comment

• hotshot
      Randy
      • Apr 2024

Wow, simply beautiful and looks very solid. I have to say, I'm excited to see this product enter the market. I see from a German instructional video that the blades will go down to down to a #5, which is interesting, and would make this saw a good choice for cutting tight puzzle boxes.

The initial price is outside my "impulse" threshold, which makes me sad. I don't know I would ever sell enough product to pay for something like this. I'm interested to see what the blade pricing is like.

I've done my share of cutting thick pieces on the scrollsaw, and when I start getting to that 1.5" to 2" thickness, cutting gets pretty slow/painful. From the demonstration videos I've seen, it looks to be slicing through the thick stuff like butter, but they could have been cutting basswood as far as I could tell. I suspect this handles hard wood fine, but I would like to see it cut 4" oak.

I love the video format as it is so much easier to get a "feel" for things. I know these are time consuming to produce, but they sure are fun to watch.

The German Pegas Bandsaw video mentioned above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqpgHkqwljo
      Last edited by hotshot; 02-18-2019, 09:14 PM.
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

• handibunny
        Carole
        • Aug 2006

OMG--the tool I've been looking for all my life! Too bad I don't have the room, or the justification to spend that much money.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

• Rolf
          The WoodMeister
          • Apr 2005

Justification ? I am not familiar with that word.Lack of space I do understand.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• Bill Wilson
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Rolf
            Justification ? I am not familiar with that word.Lack of space I do understand.
            Image result for laughing hysterically
            Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
              -
              • Aug 2004

We didn't try it with oak, but we cut the largest piece of walnut we could fit in the saw (and this is HARD walnut). It scorched a bit when cutting with the grain--the teeth are so small on these blades that it's tough to clear the sawdust, but cutting across grain, it did a great job with no scorching.

Bob

Comment

• will8989
                • Mar 2004

Lack of space, justification, words I'm not familiar with. Bruce on the other hand, well he always uses those words!! "Why do you need it when what you have works perfectly well?" Me- Who said anything about need. Want is a better word!! LOL
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

• Sandy Oaks
                  Denny
                  • Sep 2008

That is amazing. Like Dianne says, "Denny doesn't have a band saw". But at that price, I don't think so.
                  Denny
                  ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

• Rolf
                    The WoodMeister
                    • Apr 2005

The only drawback I see is that it is still a band saw. An amazing one but you still can't do inside cuts without going in from the outside.
                    Although with that thin blade there is not much of a kerf.
                    Rolf

Comment

• Jo Labre
                      Old Lady Junior Member
                      • Jul 2012

Funny thing, I didn't question the $1300 price tag for my Supermax drum sander. I use it all of the time. $1440 for a band saw is more than I want to spend just because it is a really cool tool.
                      Jo Labre - in beautiful Racine, Wisconsin

Mostly, I don't know what I am doing - but I am doing it with GUSTO!

Comment

• handibunny
                        Carole
                        • Aug 2006

If you did a lot of shows, it could make sense for items like puzzle boxes and interesting bandsaw boxes (not the type that look like squid or lotuses). But if you already have a good scroll saw, and a regular sized bandsaw (which we use primarily for resewing and handling really big piece of wood), it would be a frill. If you didn't have a bandsaw, you could justify it more easily.

And yes, the SuperMax is worth every penny!
                        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

• meflick
                          Melanie
                          • Aug 2009

Looking forward to your full Review Bob. Afraid its on the "not" list right now for me to though. Hubby already has an 18" band saw in his shop and he bought me a 10" bandsaw for my own use at Christmas. (Not sure if he didn't want me using his, or knew I was not keen on using it and trying to change those long blades. I have used it to make some bandsaw boxes. I do like the smaller size of mine.) But I'll never say never.
                          Melanie from East TN

Comment

• sawman101
                            Bruce Swanson
                            • Mar 2008

With a Jet band saw and a Hammer 3800 band saw for resawing, it's not a matter of need at all, I just WANT IT!
                            Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

• Rolf
                              The WoodMeister
                              • Apr 2005

I like your attitude Sawman101!
                              Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...