Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan A
    replied
    hey, got my issue today. Wasn't wrapped in plastic like usual but at least it's here.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Jim McDonald
    replied
    I knew a guy who lived near a pallet factory in Florida and he paneled his family room with cypress cut offs the factory gave him
    (of course, that was in the late 70s)

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    There is a place in Wimington, NC called Anchor Hardwoods that has been selling "sinker cypress" for many years. I have not purchased or used any. This is a picture from their projects page.

https://www.anchorhardwoods.net/proj...box=image_107x

Leave a comment:

• bbofpp
    replied
    nice issue!
    Didn't know Mindy left.
    bb

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    We have an extension on the side of the garage that the prior owners used for the pool heater and oil tank. (the pool and all that stuff is gone) That part had vinyl siding on it as does the back of the house. Any way , it looked weird from the street between the Cypress and vinyl So I used Cedar instead, significantly cheaper and it was all stained anyway. If you buy clear cedar it does get a bit pricey. hen I was picking through the pile at the lumber yard it was killing me to put the highly figured boards to the side. I thought I would go back for it another time. When I did it was all gone.

Leave a comment:

• Woodtography (tm)
    replied
    Got mine yesterday, Friday 1/11.

Like that Dragon puzzle by John Nelson and the Hardwood Chess set by Clayton Meyers, So I'll make those.

Charles Hands tip for the spice rack was very clever as I am sure everyone has one

Am also going to check out the Preval Sprayer and Bob Duncans review of the Pegas was very good (I have the ex-16 and just ordered the upgrade clamps from QTE as posted in this thread:

Glad to see an issue without bowls or box making project(s)...

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    I grew up about 5 miles from the Mississippi River and heard of "sinker's" but it seems like "local" loggers called them something else back in the 50's and 60s. And the sinkers were more than just cypress. My dad got some blue cottonwood that had been sunk for a hundred years or so, and set it aside for me in the mid '80s. Beautiful wood. Somehow my blue cottonwood disappeared while I was living overseas.

Back on topic: Got back from Dallas on Tuesday night, went to the post office the next day (9th) and my copy was at there. GREAT issue. Enjoyed all of it - and Carol's bowl, David Van Ess's Alphabets, Rolf's Victorian Wall Caddy and much more.

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    I'm curious to see if the experienced cabinet makers at our local lumberyard/flooring/cabinetry shop are familiar with sinker cypress. I've always liked the grain of cypress, but it does mess up sandpaper something awful.

I didn't know that it was used for siding, but it makes sense because of its high oil content. Pricey! I can see why you don't want to replace any more! A few years ago we made some cedar planters for our kids, and were alarmed at the cost of a pretty unremarkable looking wood. I'm grateful for any "freebies" I can get!

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    The front of my house is Cypress vertical plank and batten. It broke my heart to seal it with a light stain but the weather was really beating it up.
    I had to replace a few planks and @$75 a plank 10' x 10" by 3/4, I don't want to replace any more .The original was a full 1" thick.
    The sinker wood is beautiful stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Jim McDonald
    replied
    Originally posted by handibunny View Post
    Makes for a good read, even if it's a bit too cold to make sawdust!
    I've got the fever, though. Expect to get wood Tuesday from Ocooh to start making Steve Good's Nativity boxes for Christmas 2019. Need to do at least seven, so I've got to get started as soon as the weather breaks.
    (Six layers to each box, plus backer and two cuts for each lid. I know I can do it, but at times I feel I am just a bit crazy)

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Thanks, Jim and Melanie, for the kind words. Melanie, with your abilities, if you ever wanted to make a bowl, I know it would be quite impressive.

It was fun getting the cypress assignment. The color of the wood, when seen in person, is just lovely, with a real richness and depth. I was also intrigued by the small pieces of pecky cypress, which I almost missed in the package. I had been working on some tea lights, and the wood was just perfect for it, needing just a little smoothing and softening of the edges--talk about an instant project!

I had never heard of "sinker cypress", and was pleased to find such an informative article in the magazine, along with the usual array of interesting projects and helpful information. Makes for a good read, even if it's a bit too cold to make sawdust!

Leave a comment:

• meflick
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post
    Got mine Wednesday and the grain patterns in the bowl Carole made are truly beautiful. She made that piece of wood look great! Great communing with the "wood spirits".
    (But then, she does that to a whole lot of species)
    Couldn't agree with you more Jim. I always love everything Carole does and wish I had just a small ounce of the talent she does.

I also like the hot air ballon that they had in the letters section using the SpectraPly from Jim Maciag. That is the same hot air ballon pattern I had recently tried from scrolleronline. I need to get some SpectraPly and do some with it. Now, to go back to issue 72 to find some sources for it.

Leave a comment:

• meflick
    replied
    Originally posted by keystonecop View Post
    waiting here also, I did the cut for the dragon and did not get my early copy.. Hummm
    You did an excellent job on it too. Perhaps they sent your early copy to the OTHER John Nelson. Or perhaps someone at the post office lifted your copy.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Got mine today. Saw Bob was at gruff and gruff. That’s my go to place for wood. We’ve been going there for about 5 years. Perhaps there will be an open house and the Pegas saw will be there?

Leave a comment:

• KarlB
    replied
    I received mine today in Southwest Florida.

Karl

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sandy Oaks
    Reply to Colwood wood burner Great support
    by Sandy Oaks
    Good to hear about great service and support
    Today, 09:14 AM
  • Rolf
    Colwood wood burner Great support
    by Rolf
    I was using my older Colewood Super pro II yesterday and I could not control the temperature. As soon as I turned it on the tip went to the max. I opened it up to have a look.
    Not much in the box a Transformer, a small circuit board with a few components. I decided to call the company and I believe...
    Today, 08:27 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to ?????? ??
    by Rolf
    It seems that new members don't present themselves in the new members section. If anyone spots a new member encourage them to introduce themselves in the new member section.

I will send Kaylee a note to see who is overseeing the forum.
    Today, 08:06 AM
  • Jim McDonald
    Reply to ?????? ??
    by Jim McDonald
    As you know, we lost a ton of folks during the time the board was being redone and a lot of them ended up at the Village and have never looked back.
    As far as updates to the software, I am with Scott on having no clue. I do wish some of the old timers would check in from time to time, even...
    Yesterday, 07:43 PM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to ?????? ??
    by NC Scroller
    I know Bob Duncan used to monitor and work on forum issues. No clue who is handling it now....
    Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Working...
X