No announcement yet.

spring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine was in my mail box in East Tennessee today. Haven't had time to sit down and look yet though.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

Still waiting.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

waiting here also, I did the cut for the dragon and did not get my early copy.. Hummm
        The other John A. Nelson
        johnsworkshop.com
        sigpic
        I just follow the lines and make sawdust
        on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Got mine yesterday. I kinda like the looks of the new Pegas scrollsaw that Bob D reviewed. If I were in the market, I'd give that saw some serious consideration. Be nice to see one in person, someplace. I wonder if anyone is going to carry them retail or if they will be on-line order only?
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Got mine Wednesday and the grain patterns in the bowl Carole made are truly beautiful. She made that piece of wood look great! Great communing with the "wood spirits".
            (But then, she does that to a whole lot of species)
            Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Just got mine, getting ready to go through it now
              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Mine arrived late yesterday. Reno NV
                ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

I received mine today in Southwest Florida.

Karl
                  Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Got mine today. Saw Bob was at gruff and gruff. That’s my go to place for wood. We’ve been going there for about 5 years. Perhaps there will be an open house and the Pegas saw will be there?
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by keystonecop View Post
                      waiting here also, I did the cut for the dragon and did not get my early copy.. Hummm
                      You did an excellent job on it too. Perhaps they sent your early copy to the OTHER John Nelson. Or perhaps someone at the post office lifted your copy.
                      Melanie from East TN

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post
                        Got mine Wednesday and the grain patterns in the bowl Carole made are truly beautiful. She made that piece of wood look great! Great communing with the "wood spirits".
                        (But then, she does that to a whole lot of species)
                        Couldn't agree with you more Jim. I always love everything Carole does and wish I had just a small ounce of the talent she does.

I also like the hot air ballon that they had in the letters section using the SpectraPly from Jim Maciag. That is the same hot air ballon pattern I had recently tried from scrolleronline. I need to get some SpectraPly and do some with it. Now, to go back to issue 72 to find some sources for it.
                        Melanie from East TN

Comment

Thanks, Jim and Melanie, for the kind words. Melanie, with your abilities, if you ever wanted to make a bowl, I know it would be quite impressive.

It was fun getting the cypress assignment. The color of the wood, when seen in person, is just lovely, with a real richness and depth. I was also intrigued by the small pieces of pecky cypress, which I almost missed in the package. I had been working on some tea lights, and the wood was just perfect for it, needing just a little smoothing and softening of the edges--talk about an instant project!

I had never heard of "sinker cypress", and was pleased to find such an informative article in the magazine, along with the usual array of interesting projects and helpful information. Makes for a good read, even if it's a bit too cold to make sawdust!
                          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                            Makes for a good read, even if it's a bit too cold to make sawdust!
                            I've got the fever, though. Expect to get wood Tuesday from Ocooh to start making Steve Good's Nativity boxes for Christmas 2019. Need to do at least seven, so I've got to get started as soon as the weather breaks.
                            (Six layers to each box, plus backer and two cuts for each lid. I know I can do it, but at times I feel I am just a bit crazy)

Jim
                            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

The front of my house is Cypress vertical plank and batten. It broke my heart to seal it with a light stain but the weather was really beating it up.
                              I had to replace a few planks and @$75 a plank 10' x 10" by 3/4, I don't want to replace any more .The original was a full 1" thick.
                              The sinker wood is beautiful stuff.
                              Rolf
                              RBI G4 Hawk, Delta SS350, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I'm curious to see if the experienced cabinet makers at our local lumberyard/flooring/cabinetry shop are familiar with sinker cypress. I've always liked the grain of cypress, but it does mess up sandpaper something awful.

I didn't know that it was used for siding, but it makes sense because of its high oil content. Pricey! I can see why you don't want to replace any more! A few years ago we made some cedar planters for our kids, and were alarmed at the cost of a pretty unremarkable looking wood. I'm grateful for any "freebies" I can get!
                                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to Construction Vehicles - Truck
                                  by will8989
                                  You noticed that RJ? 😁😁
                                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                                • will8989
                                  Reply to Help
                                  by will8989
                                  I’m going to deal with it tomorrow. As for a hammer. We buried my last uncle 2 weeks ago. He was 87 and a farmer and “handy man”. The one thing he was handy with was a hammer. Tractor, didn’t run. Hit it with a hammer. Window didn’t open. Where’s that hammer. We have pictures of him with...
                                  Yesterday, 10:29 PM
                                • wjbclocks1
                                  Reply to Thin fin plywood 1.5 mm (.059")
                                  by wjbclocks1
                                  What is the differance between Finish Birch ply wood and regular Birch plywood ?
                                  Yesterday, 06:01 PM
                                • NC Scroller
                                  Reply to Help
                                  by NC Scroller
                                  Like Woodtography said contact your printer company. You may have to install a special driver. Having working in the computer industry I know that software upgrades and technology changes sometimes makes hardware and even some programs obsolete. Seen it happen to hardware worth hundreds of thousands....
                                  Yesterday, 05:06 PM
                                • millwab
                                  Reply to House warming puzzle
                                  by millwab
                                  It also works well when you want to glue down a pattern. Attach the pattern to the contact paper, and when you’re done cutting just peal it off. No residue to clean up!
                                  Yesterday, 02:58 PM
                                Working...
                                X