Marc Tovar Wooden Gear Clock Spring 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marc Tovar Wooden Gear Clock Spring 2007

Just heard from our printer that they will reprint the patterns for the Gear Clock and include them with the next issue. If you have the patience - you can wait for the next issue and get the complete patterns - or if you are eager to get started, you can download the corrections.

Our proofs showed all the pattern lines there like they should have been and it wasn't caught at the factory at press time. It's a lesson learned for all involved and I love the fact that our printer is so willing to help us make it right. (And I'm weaseling to see if I can use the flip side of the extra pattern pull out for additional patterns - got some big projects in this next issue)

You Are such a tease.!
    Big Projects Huh.

Thank you for taking care of problems so quickly.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

We've been getting lots of phone calls about the clock - I can't wait to see a photo of someone's version! Gentleman wrote today and said he has his keeping time and is going to take it apart now to apply the finish. Asked for a photo... I wanna see!

Comment

download location?

Where can these corrections be downloaded?

Comment

Originally posted by deemon328
          Where can these corrections be downloaded?
          They're on this page:

Click here.

By the way, welcome to the forum .

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

thanks, one more question

Thanks for the linky and the welcome!

So I'm sure I'm not missing anything, the original plans are missing the little lines that connect the drill sizes to the correct holes, right?

Also, the box with the arbors and pins on the download update has the actual length of those items designated by the little rectangles, is that right too?

I'm really excited about this project. As luck would have it, I was researching other wooden clock plans when I happened upon this one today. It definitely looks more achievable for me than some of the other plans I've seen.

Thanks!

Comment

That's correct (on both accounts). The corrected pattern has the lengths of the arbors and spacers, etc., and the connection lines for the drill holes.

Bob Duncan
              Technical Editor
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Shannon

Eagerly looking forward to next issue. Always wanted to cut a wooden gear clock but afraid to try. Now I will.

thanks
                Fred
                aka Pop's Shop
                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!.

Comment

The desire to make a wooden gear clock is what got me interested in scrolling in the first place. I have checked the web for patterns for a long time and now this one in this issue looks like the best one for a starter clock. Now I have to wait for awhile before I can make it because I am in the middle of building my new work shop. At least once the shop is finished I will have a nice place to work on the clock.
                  Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
                  and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

progress

I've got the 2W wheel and the great wheel cut out so far. I decided to use a spiral blade for the teeth so I wouldn't have to turn the workpiece as much. I'm using a 2R blade for cutting the inside of the gears because it seems much easier to control along those long straightaway cuts and the curve.

I chucked a sanding strip in the scroll saw and sanded the teeth on the 2W. On the great wheel, I used one of the rubber profiles from my porter cable profile sander to sand the teeth. That definitely went faster than the sanding strip in the saw method. It took about 3 hours for me to complete each gear so far, but I'm getting a little better at sawing with each one.

The biggest hurdle for me right now is the plywood. I can't get baltic birch locally, so I made my own from 1/8" resawn oak and walnut vacuum pressed together to the appropriate sizes. 1/8" is unfortunately too thick and my plywood isn't as straight as it should be. My 2W wheel has a cup of 1/16", but I'm hopeful that it will still function.

Last edited by deemon328; 02-07-2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Deemon328
                      I am impressed. I don't dare try one of those yet. I admire the work and patience to make those gears.
                      Diane
                      Dragon
                      Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                      Owner of a Dewalt 788
                      PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

have no fear...

Well, would it help you to know that I have a grand total of maybe 10 hours on the scroll saw in my life before I started this project?

I've been agonizing over gears for a couple years myself. Should I try to make a router jig? Should I buy a metal lathe? Can I mount a router to my shopsmith for teeth cutting? Should I try and build a CNC machine? Should I get that new Carvewright machine?

All these questions did was hold me back. I think it was on this forum or maybe in the magazine that said that you have to work with the tools you have available. It's great advice to be sure. Now I'm out working on something rather than thinking about the best way to try and do it.

Have no fear!

Comment

I may be biting off more than I can chew; but this will be my first serious scroll saw project....what the hey, if it doesn't work out, I can always chalk it up to experience.

My problem is materials. I'm involved in other activities(crafting wooden pens) and don't anticipate that SSing will ever be a big time activity for me. That being the case, I don't want to invest in a big stock of Baltic Birch, just for this one project. Are there stores that will sell me small quantities of the stuff.....basically just enough for making a single clock...maybe 2? Close by, I only have HD, Lowes and Rockler. Or maybe there is an Internet source??

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Comment

Randy,
                            Woodcraft, Sloan's, Wildwood Designs and Steebar all offer small pieces of BB Ply.
                            Kevin
                            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Kevin: Thanks a lot!! The Steebar people have exactly what I am looking for. And, surprisingly, they are not charging a big premium for selling it in small quantities. Of course, we can't be sure about the relative quality of the various sources; but for this particular project, that is not a big issue.

Woodcraft was much more expensive than the other guys......guess that shouldn't have been a surprise!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X