Recommendations for books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for books

I'm looking for a couple good books on Intarsia..
    I thinking maybe it's time I learn how to do it right so I'm looking for more of the how to's for the advanced..

Trout
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

Hey Trout, that makes two of us although I have not tried intarsia or segmentation as of yet I plan to after the holidays. I have Neals book on segmentation and a very special pattern that I want to try. The intarsia I will need will have to be step by step for dummies. Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Comment

Steve, here you go.
      Attached Files
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Boys where are your brains-- find ANY issue of SSW and read the intarsia instructions. Find a pattern that you like and realy want to do..Get you a chunk of poplar--I say poplar cause I spent and goofed up to much high priced wood just to scrap- then cut your pattern on one board- this is a lot easier than trying on different woods- I messed up trying that too-- Now be sure and print you a pattern to lay your "working piece "on -number each piece on BOTH YOUR PATTERNS, now cut- number your pieces on the bottom of your cut piece -for tiny pieces I mark with a sharpie so the puzzle is easier to put back together..I like to use rubberbans to hold my little sections together .. and think of which ones will be high and which ones low- a 1/4 srip of poplAR IS GREAT FOR MAKING STEPS. . glue this underneath that way all your grain matches on top.
        just sand and check it with the other pieces..
        Nothing to it -- just have to get that first nerve up and don't be ascared of it- it won't bite hard. ( sanding belts hurt like the dickens when you slip tho- I like to use my dremel for sanding mostly-- sanding belts are super to make something shorter but carefull cause it does hurt when you sand yourself.
        if this helps ( which I hope it does ) then you can do it too-- by the way- I have a thing called the book of hard knocks and this forum to teach me-- best teachers by far.
        Sharon

Comment

Intarsia for dummies that a good one..

Sharon, thanks for the great advice..

Mrs.Trout has been asking me for some gift idea's and since I really don't need anything for the shop right now I thought it might be a good time for a how to book..
          I should suggest one of Judy Robert's books since I'm working on one of her patterns now..
          plus I have 2 more patterns to do when this one is finished..
          the only problem with ordering her book now is that I'll find out all the mistakes that I've made.

I've been a good boy this year so maybe I'll ask for the video too..
          I wonder if she orders them this weekend through Fox Chapel that they'll be here by Christmas?

thanks again
          Trout
          Last edited by Trout; 12-07-2006, 09:09 PM.
          Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

well just "wish" yourself a good swift kick in the rear--( kidding)( after I wrote my post and took a nap -- dahhhh --- it dawned on me that you do super intarsia work.... Now what in the world would you be wanting a video fer anyhow- as long as it works for you then it is the right way.

I stand embarrased that I " forgot" you do do intarsia...
            silly me

Comment

Sharon...

please don't be embarrassed, that's why your so loved on this board..
              there are a couple thing that I would like to know or see how to do the right way..

Working for wood once said, take a grinder to it and grind it down good!

Trout
              Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Trout, the book that started me off on intarsia was the one by Garnet Hall, "The Art of Intarsia". He starts you off in easy patterns which are included in the book and tells you how to do each one. The first was the simple flower which I have shown before on this forum and they get harder as you go. But to be honest I don't think you need to read a book with the things you do.
                Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Trout, I agree with Sharon. I think your intarsia is great. It dosen't matter how you do it so long as the end result is what you expected. Although I do find magazines and books very inspirational and pretty to look at, I rarely follow the instructions. They don't often make sense to me, so I end up doing it my own way.
                  Marsha
                  LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

I got a niec book from my son. It is written by Garnet Hall.
                    It is called the Art of Intarsia. He covers all the basics and has patterns for beginners to advanced.
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Mrs.Trout has giving me 48 hours...

to complete Hank the mule so a book isn't going to help me now...

what I'm looking for is information on contouring.
                      between the draft horse and the mule that I'm working on now, I need to learn how the take pieces that has been raise 1/4 and then shape them down in the different directions to flow with the other pieces..

the part I want to understand is why raise a piece 1/4 just to grind it down even with the other pieces..
                      why not just raise it an 1/8, less grinding?

on Hank the mule I think I made a major mistake even though you wouldn't know it..

thanks everyone for the word of encouragement..

Trout
                      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Your idea of raising sections by 1/8 to reduce sanding sounds like a good one.
                        I have thought that when cutting the pieces out you could stack 2 pieces of 1/8 under the project, then when you assemble you have 3 different hieghts available by placing the 1/8 shims under it. If your saw could handle 1/8 and 1/4 under it even better,
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Trout ole buddy-- I use 1/4 inch because that is as thin as I can get here in solid - I didn't do well with plys -- I glue to the bottom and use my sanding drum of my dremel to make it all the same all around on the sides-( meaning I get it all "baby-butt" smooth) then I take from the top-I tried from the bottom but it didn't fit as well when I wanted to join it- The sanding off from the top with my dremel flex shaft allows me to take off where I need and contour where I need and I have the snug fit not bothered by trying to work from the bottom. If this sounds like double talk --well heck I am a Texan and we talk funny anyway.. but take off from the top and you can have better control..but then what do I know..
                          lol

By the way I do admire your work and you must be doing something right because it always looks terrific.
                          Sharon

Comment

Shims

Shims are great for incorporating relief as long as they are used on "inside" segments. The thicker wood is generally used on "outside" segments that need to appear elevated so shims aren't visible in the finished piece. (Got that info from Cathy Wise at the Open House).
                            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

JGR has a video called"Contouring Intarsia" which is very informative and she is working on a Horses head during the video. It also included the pattern of the horses head with the video.
                              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X