What puts me off subscribing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What puts me off subscribing....

I have been toying with the idea of subscribing to SSWC for a little while - I've been buying it for over a year now, since I first came to Canada. No criticisms of the magazine itself which seems to have been getting better and better over the last year.

But I read just now that at least one person in Canada is still waiting for the current issue. I bought mine in a store in town over a week ago now - I don't know how long the store had had it before that.

Is it normal that subscribers don't get their issues until after they've appeared in the stores?

Any comments from Bob, Shannon or others would be welcome.
    Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Hi Ian,
    I too am in Canada, and I received my current issue over a week ago. The issue is not in stores yet, here in Hamilton. I would recommend subscriping just for the savings over the cover price. Besides if you haven't already bought the Ultimate Pattern addition you might still get it for free by subscriping for a two year period.
    Canadians do get the magazine a bit later then the US but the wait is well worth it. Anyone in Canada who has not received their current issue, should check with Shannon to see if it's been mailed, it could be a postal issue.
    Just my 2¢ worth
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

I got my magazine today.
      It was worth the wait. It really does depend on where you live, It isn't in the stores yet and it is the only magazine I subscribe to now.

It is not yet in the stores in my neighourhood.
      I strongly recommend subscribing, you won't regret it.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

subscriber copies to Canada

Well... in a perfect world, subscribers would get their issues before it is available on newsstands.

For example... the Holiday issue mailed to subscribers on September 26th and is not available on newsstands until October 17th. Magazines are picked up from the printer by our distributor and transported across the border. From there they are shipped to individual subscribers and should arrive within a couple weeks of the subscriber mail date. Of course if you live in a very rural area it will take a bit longer.

It's really a personal preference. A small magazine like SSW&C doesn't really make any money on newsstand sales. It's benefit is getting the word out to people who don't know about us in hopes that they will subscribe. Whether you are purchasing the magazine on newsstands or through a subscription - you are still helping to raise our paid circulation and I appreciate every single issue that you buy.

If you want to help support my efforts to convince our publisher to increase to six issues per year - then buy a subscription!

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon

For example... the Holiday issue mailed to subscribers on September 26th and is not available on newsstands until October 17th.
          I'm confused by your dates - I bought my Holiday Issue last Saturday - 14th October In Truro, NS - and I have no idea if that was the first day it was on sale - You mean it's on the newstands here before it gets to US newstands?

I
          If you want to help support my efforts to convince our publisher to increase to six issues per year - then buy a subscription!
          I'd definitely go for the 6 issues a year but why stop at 6 - why not 12

Ian
          Ian

Comment

12! are you nuts I can't keep up with the projects now.
            I would go into major overload.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf
              12! are you nuts I can't keep up with the projects now.
              I would go into major overload.

ROTFL - I didn't think it was compulsory to cut everything in the magazine..
              Ian

Comment

Newsstand Dates

Hmmm.... On newsstands on the 14th??? I had other subscribers from Wood Carving Illustrated saying they saw the issue on the newsstand in Canada earlier than the dates that my calendar says it should be.... It's something I will have to look into with our newsstand consultant. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

OK - now it's a no-brainer - Subscribe!!!
                  Besides, as Marsha mentioned, the pattern collection comes free with a 2-year subscription. Although it is now also on the newstands also (for about $8 usd) it has so many excellent patterns that you could easily spend $100 usd just buying the ones that you like. Need I tell you that it is terrific??
                  This is absolutely the best scrolling magazine available, and subscribing lets them know that we have faith that they will keep up the good work. Besides, what if it becomes so popular that your newstand is sold out before you get there??
                  Subscribe!! You won't be sorry. Even when I recieve my copy a few days or weeks after I should, it is always so good that I forgive them. And few of us are under such tight time constraints that a week or 2 makes all that much difference. Those who are really time-conscious really want the magazines a whole issue ahead of what we get now.
                  Subscribe!!
                  (Or not - we'll still love you)
                  Sandy

Comment

Very persuasive, Sandy - are you getting recruiting commision from FC? ..

I already bought the Ultimate Patterns issue though - think I could haggle for a different issue as a free gift?:-)

Ian
                    Ian

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X