SSW&C Summer (#23) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSW&C Summer (#23) Question

I am attempting to build the Hexagon Lamp in the Summer 2006 (#23) Issue and I am not sure if there is a typo in the Materials list on page 66, but would like to double check before cutting my material. It list the wood needed for the Hexagon lamp sides as:

6 each 1/2" x 3" x 14 3/16"

I believe the picture on page 67 is correct, listing these pieces as 1/4" thick, not the 1/2" listed in the materials list. Is this correct?

Now my question about the pattern, the patterns are drawn for the 4" Square lamps. Do I resize the patterns (which will make the flowers smaller) so that it is 3 inches wide? Or do I attempt to center this 4" inch patter onto 3" inch wood? The pattern is not drawn for the 3"inch Hexagon version of the lamp, so I am unsure how to place it onto the wood correctly. Does anyone have any hints or suggestions on this?
    Thanks all!
    Ed

Hi Ed,
    I was hoping Gary McKay would respond to your question by now, but I think he missed it. I would suggest you send him a Private Message. I've tried to find an email address for Gary, but no luck. Another thing I would try to reach Gary, is to edit your original post and change the title to "A question for Gary McKay", this will at least get his attention.

The article in the magazine and the instructions are a bit confusing. I do think the lamps were made from 1/4" stock though, and the patterns have two sets of lines on them for positioning on different wood sizes. I don't think I would shrink the pattern, some of the frets are small enough.

Those lamps are really beautiful and a nice project to do. I made the square lamps and had no problems what so ever. They went together very easy, although I did make a change. Instead of building the inner box to house the electrical pipe, I glued a secondary piece of wood to the sides after I did the fretwork. You can see my lamps by checking out the scroller galleries.

Of course all my suggestions on how to reach Gary might be mute if he has already answered your questions and I'm just not aware of it.

I hope this post is of some help
    Marsha
    LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Ed,

I just checked my list for additional materials: Hexagon lamp and that should by 6 each 1/4" x 3" x 143/16" (sorry for the bad fractions). Just like Step 9 on page 67.

I will check and see if the patterns for the floral designs were enlarged.

Gary MacKay

Gary MacKay

Comment

We always intended for people to reduce the patterns for the hexagon lamps...if you reduce them to 75%, they are correct. I intended to put that in the article, but mistakenly left it out.

Bob
        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
          We always intended for people to reduce the patterns for the hexagon lamps...if you reduce them to 75%, they are correct. I intended to put that in the article, but mistakenly left it out.

Bob

I figured that one out for myself, I used Dial Calipers to measure the pattern exactly, then I reduced the pattern on the scanner to fit exactly to the 3 inch wood.. it came out to 78% to fit precisely. Doing the math, it should have been 75%, but real life is rarely as black and white as math<grin>. They are small cuts and very challenging, but the outcome is amazing! If anyone else is working on them, I wouldn't recomend stack cutting more than 2 at a time or else you would have to use thicker blades, which would make the cuts less detailed.
          I am also altering the idea a little, since I am using such a dark wood (Peruvian Walnut) I wanted to highlight the roses a bit. So using the idea (from the same issue of SSW&C, Fretwork Lantern project, page 52).. I placed an order for some rice paper. I plan to line the inside of the roses with the Rice paper to highlight the scrollwork. Not only will it make them stand out, when glued correctly it will support the delicate cuts making sure it lasts a lot longer in a house with children and pets! Now I only have to decide wether to go with the WHITE rice paper which or if I should go a little wild with a marbled RED rice paper to really add some zing to these roses/lamps!
          Thanks for the replies everyone!!!
          Ed Baker

Comment

I usually try to round the percentages off a bit; not every photocopier can give you 78%, but most can give you 75%!

Thanks Ed!

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by will8989
              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
              Today, 10:32 AM
            • Sandy Oaks
              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
              by Sandy Oaks
              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
              Today, 09:46 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
              by NC Scroller
              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
              Today, 07:42 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
              Today, 07:39 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              by Linda In Phoenix
              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
            Working...
            X