Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article discussion thread:Easy Mini-Chuck Use

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Easy Mini-Chuck Use

I've seen this somewhere before but it is a great idea that I am going to do first thing in the shop tomorrow (or the next time My Bride will let me go LOL)
    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

SD Mike

Comment

I'd like to know where you can find a mini chuck that doesn't wobble. I've brought two different ones from two different companies and they were garbage.

Comment

I bought one from Mike and sometimes I get the Bit in and no wobbles. I also bought one from rockler and it seems that most of the time there is no wobble. The one from rockler is much smaller, black in color and almost looks like the end of a dremel tool.
          Mike

Mike Fehring's Artistry in Wood
          http://www.mikefehring.com
          Mike Fehring's Free Patterns

Comment

Check this out

McMaster-Carr

Or you could go nuts and get one of these
            Micro Drill Chucks & Adapters - Drill Chucks, Adapters & Accessories | MSCDirect.com

this is what we use in the shop
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf, I'm willing to try almost anything at this point. I did buy the one Mike was selling but honestly, he might have a good reputation for his blades, but the chuck was terrible. It wobbled all over the place and was much worse than my regular drill press. Even in his instructions that come with it, he mentions that it will probably wobble. My question is, why sell it then?

Comment

Whoa Rolf, some of the ones on that one site are incredibly expensive. More than what I paid for my drill press! I don't know how a chuck can cost that much.

Comment

Originally posted by sawdust11703 View Post
                  Thanks Rolf, I'm willing to try almost anything at this point. I did buy the one Mike was selling but honestly, he might have a good reputation for his blades, but the chuck was terrible. It wobbled all over the place and was much worse than my regular drill press. Even in his instructions that come with it, he mentions that it will probably wobble. My question is, why sell it then?
                  I got the chuck from Mike and I use it all the time. I have had it for several years. As he says if you touch the end of the bit to the wood then turn on your drill press, the bit does not have a chance to wobble. A foot switch attached to the drill press helps. Happy with mine...
                  Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                  Jean De La Bruyere...

l

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckD View Post
                    I got the chuck from Mike and I use it all the time. I have had it for several years. As he says if you touch the end of the bit to the wood then turn on your drill press, the bit does not have a chance to wobble. A foot switch attached to the drill press helps. Happy with mine...
                    Chuck, no offense but that is not an acceptable solution. If I'm making something with 200 interior cuts, I have to turn my drill press on and off 200 times so I can rest the drill bit against the wood first before drilling the hole? Not only do I not think thats good for the drill press, but I don't have half a day to waste turning my press off and on with each hole to be drilled. Mike sells great blades but this product is faulty and he should not be selling it.

Comment

I have found that running your drill press at a higher speed will help the bit run straighter.

Comment

A chuck should not wobble period! The whole point of using one is because you are trying to drill small holes in very tight places a wobbling bit defeats that purpose.
                        The smaller the bit the higer speed it should run. I never liked running my drill press at its max or constantly moving belts so I bit the bullet and bought a dedicated small high speed drill press from Micro Mark just for my scroll work. http://www.micromark.com/microlux-3-...ress,7797.html . The price has gone up a bit since I bought it.

I was kidding about those really expensive chucks, they are mostly used in milling machines they actually slide inside themselves. The quill on the drill press never moves. They are ment to be used for very precise delicate drilling and they are worth every penny for the right application.
                        Last edited by Rolf; 01-07-2012, 10:20 AM.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by sawdust11703 View Post
                          Chuck, no offense but that is not an acceptable solution. If I'm making something with 200 interior cuts, I have to turn my drill press on and off 200 times so I can rest the drill bit against the wood first before drilling the hole? Not only do I not think thats good for the drill press, but I don't have half a day to waste turning my press off and on with each hole to be drilled. Mike sells great blades but this product is faulty and he should not be selling it.
                          Lets agree to disagree. I like placing the bit right where I want it. I even do that went I am using the drill press with larger bits. As far as doing it 200 times that is small for most of the things I cut and I have been using the drill press for over ten years and it is still going. The foot switch on the drill press helps. I am in no hurry and I don't sell my stuff so I am not like others to whom time is money. We have different circumstances so we do things different but neither of us is wrong as far as I am concerned.
                          Thanks for your input...
                          Chuck D

Jean De La Bruyere...

l

Comment

I'm with you on that Rolf. Oh and I thought something was weird about those chucks. Never seen anything like that before.

Chuck I guess like you said we will have to agree to disagree. It doesn't work for me. I'm very quick with drilling my pilot holes and I do sell a lot of items so I need to be spending most of my time cutting.

Comment

It have two of Mikes chucks, and once you get the bit centered right, it works ok, but I get frustrated trying to get it right.

I bought a chuck from sloans and was initially very disapponted when the shaft bent within a few minutes of use. However, I found I could break the shaft off, and the sloans chuck is so small the back will go right inside the chuck on my press. Now I have no wobble at all. Blades loads are easy and seem to be self centering.

-------Randy

Last edited by hotshot; 01-08-2012, 02:29 PM.
                              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X