SSW&C promoted at Craft show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSW&C promoted at Craft show

I have just finished a major two day craft show - although I'm exhausted, I had a fabulous time! I took my saw, did demos and promoted SSW&C by giving away some extra copies I had. The interest and response was overwhelming. I 've been toying with the idea of presenting classes, and at the end of two days, had 19 people signed up for a beginners course

Any input from those who have given classes will be welcome - What worked for you and what didn't. If you have 3 scroll saws available, would you take 3 people at a time or 6 and let them alternate with the sawing. Ideas for a simple beginner project. I'm planning on writing a manual, so that they have a hard copy to take with them and refer to when they need to.

Needless to say...I have some work ahead of me, but my aim to promote scroll sawing in S.A. might finally become a reality - one person at a time.
    Sue Mey

That is awesome! Thanks for your support! Do you have a copy of John Nelson's Scroll Saw Workbook. It's really an excellent book filled with skill building exercises specifically for the beginner scroller. Let me know if you don't have a copy!

Comment

That's great news Sue!!!! I'm thrilled for you. If I can help in any way, please let me know.
      BTW, my wife's talking about a 2008 trip to SA so I may need some travel tips from you (not to mention I want to meet a cheetah in person).
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Thanks Kevin, yes I can definitely give you some travel tips - it's good that you plan on coming before 2010 (Soccer worldcup). Meeting (and hugging) a cheetah is also possible
        Sue Mey

Comment

And to think I had always heard that Cheetahs never prosper
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

That would be so cool.... I could only imagine the energy a creature such as that would offer.

You are very lucky to have that possibility Sue.

Take care
            Toni

Comment

You are doing a good thing. Learning things in a group is great, and not all of us are blessed with a local club.

Having just been to an advanced class with John Nelson, I have a few suggestions based on how he had it set up.
              1. Have a saw for each individual. This way they can all do the lesson while you explain it.
              2. Instead of writing your own manual why don't you buy a bunch of John's books and add it to the price of the class.
              3. We all brought our own saws but John had them there for a small rental fee.
              4. He also charged us a small fee for the materials he provided.
              He provided the wood, the patterns, the spray glue and the blades. This way we were all doing the same thing with the same materials.
              5. Try to keep the same level of scrollers in the class.
              6. Include at least one or two projects that the students can complete and take home with them. ( we did a very nice inlay project that has now gotten me hooked on inlay)
              7. Have a display of your work, from simple to complex, to give your students ideas on what they can do with this wonderful hobby.(affliction )
              Last edited by Rolf; 08-03-2006, 09:01 AM.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Yes, I am rather fortunate! One is allowed closer after feeding time and you enter their enclosures at own risk of course, but as a cat lover, there was no hesitation. Their hair is very course and the purr is like the sound of a Harley idling. They become very aggressive when they have litters and do not like small people and kids - apparently they are seen as prey. It is a fantastic experience.
                Sue Mey

Comment

Classes

Rolf, some good tips thank you. What did he charge for the class, if I may ask? Was it a full day, half day?
                  Sue Mey

Comment

Timing is everything

Sue, something that is relative in some areas is WHEN you hold your classes. For example, perhaps different times of the year are better for people to participate in the classes. I routinely have some in the fall and have projects aimed at holidays. It gives the participants time to learn and make things for presents for the holidays. Also, I get a large number of "referals" this way because the people who took my fall classes will give things at holiday gatherings and it generates an interest in the craft. Thus, when I have classes in January (winter and cold here so no one wants to go outside and looks for activities indoors) are book tight.

Hope that helps.

Take care
                    Toni

Comment

apparently they are seen as prey.
                      Don't you mean Lunch?
                      Then they would like them!
                      Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

cheetahs

I guess I should have said: they get very worked up and aggressive when kids are present
                        Sue Mey

Comment

Sue,
                          John charged us $175, I suspect a large part of that went to the facilty where he tought the class.

I also like Toni's suggestion about the time of year to do your class.
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks Rolf!

Take care
                            Toni

Comment

Thanks for the info Rolf and Toni. We are in mid winter which would partly explain the large amounts of interest at the moment. Generally, crafts here are very much put into 'boxes' - tole painting, sewing, decoupage and scrapbooking are for females and wood crafts are for males
                              ...which is why it's so nice to have so many ladies showing an interest in scrolling! As soon as I tell them it's very similar to using a sewing machine, even the 'browsers' become interested
                              Sue Mey

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                                ingers crossed
                                Today, 07:35 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                                My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                                Today, 04:32 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by Rolf
                                Yes you have had a great week.! It is really nice that your son shared this special moment. Regarding retirement, Almost 5 years for me, Never regreted my decision, not for an instant.
                                Today, 04:19 PM
                              Working...
                              X