How about a TV Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a TV Show

There are all types of woodworking TV shows, routing, furniture building, etc. How about Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts starting a Scroll saw show?

John

Old Dust

Hmm, and maybe take it on the road. Visit one scroller per week in their workshop and tape them as they create a project explaining what they do and how they do it. With all they great projects I've seen in the gallery there would be enough shows for several years +.

Here is a wicked idea - Surprise visit to a scrollers shop!!

Question is who would do the show? And if it was a road show - who would get to travel?

Paul S.

Paul S.

Comment

My shop is to dirty, and will never be "as seen on tv!!"
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller
        My shop is to dirty, and will never be "as seen on tv!!"
        That is EXACTLY why Paul S's idea is perfect! Great idea Old Dust!!!
        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

This is an inspired thread .

As broadband internet connections become increasingly common, the future of the broadcast media is seen as moving towards a digital format. Within the next few years, analogue television will be completely phased out within the UK and the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has just announced that it is to restructure itself so as to be ready for this. Those of you who are interested can read more about it here. The BBC isn't the only organisation to see the future as being digital; for example, our principal telephone company, BT, has just launched a range of products that are designed to meet this future and so has the satellite television broadcaster, Sky.

Toni recently asked if pattern makers threatened the future of scrollsaw magazines and most of us seemed to concur that they didn't. However, the format of magazines such as SSW almost certainly is likely to change. Imagine how attractive it would be to have SSW projects broadcast over the internet or digital television alongside plans which could be printed off. I'm not talking about the quality of video that's prevalent on the internet now - I'm talking about television quality.

What's more, we'd have all our plans and articles stored on databases, either on our own computers or on the publishers system so that we could search and access them without having to wade through dozens of old magazines. From my point of view it would be a boon getting my 'magazine' at the same time as everyone else .

This technology isn't a fantasy, something for the future - it's already arrived in many parts of the world.

So to answer John's original question, I suspect that SSW&C will probably have little option but to adopt a broadcast format if it is to prosper.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Internet Woodworking Video

Link:
            http://thewoodworkingchannel.com/

best with Cable, DSL, or ADSL speed.

Phil

Comment

AHHHHH!! Nothing beats settling down in your favorite easy chair on winter evenings turning the pages on a good laptop!!! LOL!! Ain't technology grand??
              If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

That'll just just be one option though, Neil. You'll also be able to watch magazine articles being broadcast on TV and, if you want to have a bash, choose to have the plans dashed out on your own printer.

Imagine, if you will, watching Toni as she takes you through a segmentation project in the same way that New Yankee Norm takes you through the construction of a table. Only you'll be able to choose close-ups and different camera angles using your interactive control, pause when it's convenient to you, send email to ask for clarification if necessary, and probably a host of other things as well.

I agree that there's something lovely and tactile about paper magazines, but I can see a time coming when these will be mere supplements to broadcast media - if they're produced at all. It seems that the 'younger' generation has a greater affinity for screens and monitors than it has for books and magazines.

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

I agree with you Neal, but unfortunately Gill is correct concerning the "younger" generation. They lose interest quickly and most of them can't stand to read. My internet economics classes always filled up before the standard lecture/textbook classes. The strange thing is that more books are being published and sold today than at any other time. I, personally, hate the idea of reading "text messages" on a so-called telephone or reading an "electronic" or "e-book", but I am, admittedly elderly. Magazines are going to have to "get with it" if they want to attract new subscribers. They may lose me, but I'm obsolete.
                  Moon
                  Old Mooner

Comment

I would like to say I love Gill's concept and if I had the money I would surely back something like this. Specially with the close ups and pause features.
                    The computer does offer that "hands on let me see it the way I want to" approach.

I know magazines will never disappear. We have access to over 18 thousand free books at Project Gutenberg Yet people continue to buy the classics.
                    One of the reasons people still buy books... because they can have hands on see it when I want to.

Marshall McLuhan, said "The Medium is the Message". we will all absorb the knowledge we desire from the medium we prefer. I love the forum with its interaction, something I will never get from a book. I love sitting down reading the pages of the magazine we all wait for like children expecting a Christmas present.

Like I said in another post. I don't even mind the advertising, without it I would not know all there is to offer.

I imagine a streaming video production will take more of my time and I would enjoy it in it's own rite. If the written word, hear in the forum makes us feel like a family imagine the impact of seeing the faces and actions of our friends online.

Phils link shows us what is available already.

I do not see this happening for SSWC in the near future, the cost of production compared to the return is just too wide spread. I do look forward to seeing it when it happens though.
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Cool thread,

If more get published electronically, does it mean more wood for us to scroll?
                      (less used for publications)

Carl, I disagree with the cost of publishing angle. If you look at the router show on the woodworking channel website, I can't believe that show is expensive to make.

Same for the New-Yankee Workshop, that show is minimalistic to produce: One cameraman, one sound man. one editor/producer, one star. I think I read it was something like 135,000 per episode. Which is peanuts in TV dollars compared to what it brings in revenues.

Now we don't need to be talking of something as sophisticated to start with: How about a scroller that can explain clear and nice (and NOT BORING) and isn't camera shy, 2 digital video cameras (cameraman welcome, but optional: tripod acceptable: one on scroller and one on work (close-ups)), a fire-wire card for PC transfer, some not too expensive editing software and voilà, instant Internet transferable show.

Shouldn't be expensive, nor too complicated. Of course you wouldn't have the sophistication Gill mentioned : Multi camera angles and interactivity, but it would be a step in the right direction for anyone trying to promote scrollsawing.

Just thoughts sparked by your discussion.
                      Marcel
                      http://marleb.com
                      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Distribution wouldn't be a problem with a simple project like this, either. Perhaps Bob might be able to find space on a SSW&C server to host the programmes, but if not, they could be uploaded to Google (or some similar host) and made generally available.

Gill

Comment

This all sounds wonderful and I am all for it.
                          Even though Marcel pointed out the cost does not have to be expensive, there will still be costs incurred.
                          A broadcaster would have to find some source of revenue to recoup those costs.
                          I think of the cost of running this forum. I have no idea what they will be but they are far more than we are paying for

There is the server, the cost of staff to maintain the website, the cost of staff hosting the website.
                          Sure we all contribute something to the site, and it is a wonderful resource for the editors to obtain information and contacts for future articles, which in turn feeds the magazine which advertisers buy space in which in the end should recover the cost of the forum.

If an online broadcast also had advertising space in it then the same could hold true for that.
                          I do find that some people consider any form of advertising online as spam, and when I am looking for something specific I too find advertising somewhat annoying. This is just an obstacle that I am sure can be overcome.
                          I would be willing to review items in order to gain access to an informative and entertaining online broadcast.

With just under 1000 members on the forum though I still think it will be some time before we see this happen.
                          Just my opinion and once again I am happy to share it
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Carl,

Advertising? Who wants stinkin' advertizin'?

Now let's talk Product Placement
                            Isn't that what it's all about nowadays?

Have a can of your favorite beverage in view (one ad) while showing the scrollsaw used (two ads) and talking of the blade brand and why we use it (three ads). Speak of safety, wear goggles (four ads) and respirator mask (five ads) and mention dust controller (six ads)

Speak of finishing using brand X (seven ads) oil and brand Y (eight ads) poly.
                            Don't forget sanding paper (nine ads), pattern origin (ten ads) and the glue used to hold pattern (eleven ads) to the packing tape (twelve ads).

I'm sure we could place more products in the background. Of course, you also need to put their names in the credits at the end of the show.

There should be some way to get companies to pay a token fee to help create the episodes, you just need to make a good promo show to sell the concept.

And Gill,
                            Although it would be nice of SSW&C to host the program, I think the impact would be greater in getting an audience on the woodworking channel. You would get woodworkers that are not necessarily scrollers, while still being able to tell people from scrolling sites to go have a look at the show. This way you can get more people interested in scrolling that otherwise would not think about it, and if you mention this site in the show or credits as a good resource for scrollers, then it may increase the traffic. Or you could mention that the episodes already aired are available for download from here, creating more traffic to this site.

Then we could go cable, and syndicate and bump the New-Yankee off the air and... WOW! backup Marcel, I like Norm's show It's Bob Villa I can't stand, him we can bump , yes that's the plan, bump Bob Villa off the air

Just thoughts from the creative mind of a utopist,
                            Marcel
                            http://marleb.com
                            DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

"touché mon frère"
                              CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X