SSWX 32: Carving on Fretwork Creates Lifelike Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSWX 32: Carving on Fretwork Creates Lifelike Portrait

Here is the place to discuss Dick Miraglia's article in the latest issue.
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Question About Materials for Painting the Tiger's Eyes

Replying to a private email question: All of the supplies for painting the tiger's eyes are available in craft stores. The paints are acrylic by Liquitex. You can also order supplies directly from the companies:
    Liquitex Gloss Medium and Acrylic Paints (Liquitex, PO Box 246, Piscataway, NJ), Treasure Crystal Cote Thick High Gloss Finish, (Plaid Enterprises, Inc, Norcross, GA), Craft Twinkles Glitter Paint, Champagne color, (Deco Art, Stanford, KY)

Note: The article is an Online Bonus found by going to the In This Issue, #32
    Dick Miraglia

Comment

The only complaint I have about the magazine and this web site is that it keeps showing ideas and projects that just beg to be tried.
      I think I could stop both right now and still have enough ideas and plans to keep me going until I croak.
      Time and money well spent, so thanks to all of you!
      Alan.
      Alan and Rafi.

In our house, if you have to bend over to pet a dog it ain't a real dog!

Comment

Yep, it's awesome stuff. Carving a fretwork is a smart idea, and Dick is very talented. Hope to catch him and his work at a show sometime in the near future.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

A new and fresh idea that is welcomed!
          Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

I loved that articale as well. love the dimention. and the whole quilt. of cats. so cool. nicely done, and I will try it for sure. your friend Evie

Comment

Well I have started working on something using Dick's ideas. What I'm cutting is not a large cat or even an animal, but the raised fretwork steps have already been done. I'm cutting the fretwork now and once that's finished look out! I will attempt to carve my work similar to what Dick does, I just hope I don't ruin the whole thing trying it.

We will see and I suppose pictures could be posted in the "works in progress" section or heck, even here

Dick is just flat out a talented artist, I value how I've got to know him thru this board and I will meet up with him someday for some real live advice and hopefully show and tell.

This article is totally awesome, I'm so thrilled it is in this issue. Thanks so much Dick

Your Friend

Tom
              Hawk G4
              http://www.scrollsawer.com/gallery/s...00/ppuser/4243

Comment

I loved the idea and am inspired to give this a try. What new depth this carving technique gave to the finished project. I also liked the idea of the collage that he created. All I can say is Wow! This would look powerful on the wall of the new home we are planning to build.
                Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

This is an incredible idea that really brings a simple fretwork project to life. His collage is just amazing and has inspired me to give this a serious try. I have two other projects that must be done first, so next weekend I'll be ready to start on one of these.
                  Jim
                  DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Locating Dremel Carving Bits

Tom (f250)...Sometimes it is hard to find all the carving bits in the local stores. They just don't seem to keep very many of them in stock. You can order them directly by phone from Dremel 1-800-4 DREMEL (1-800-437-3635) Order by bit number, have your credit card handy. All high speed carving bits are $5.85. They will then send you a catalog which contains a lot more bits than are available in the stores. Dick
                    Dick Miraglia

Comment

You can also get bits from Foredom. They have a ton of bits with different shaft thickness.
                      Foredom makes a flex shaft machine sort of like the Dremal tool. Exept it has a much larger motor and flex shaft, it is a great tool if you are doing Intarsia.It will handle 1/4 shaft bits and sanders. A few more dollars but worth it.
                      Alan.
                      Alan and Rafi.

In our house, if you have to bend over to pet a dog it ain't a real dog!

Comment

Carved Fretwork Tiger

Check under bragging page.
                        Last edited by Dick-Miraglia; 07-30-2008, 02:25 PM. Reason: Can't get picture to post
                        Dick Miraglia

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X