English Langage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Langage

The English language has some wonderfully anthropomorphic collective nouns for the various groups of animals. We are all familiar with a Herd of cows, a Flock of chickens, a School of fish and a Gaggle of geese.

However, less widely known is a Pride of lions, a Murder of crows (as well as their cousins the rooks and ravens), an Exaltation of doves and, presumably because they look so wise, a Parliament of owls.

Now consider a group of Baboons. They are the loudest, most dangerous, most obnoxious, most viciously aggressive and least intelligent of all primates. And what is the proper collective noun for a group of baboons? Believe it or not ....... a Congress!

I guess that pretty much explains the things that come out of Washington!
    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

I heard this "Andy Ronney-ism" today: Vegetarian is an old Indian word meaning "Poor Hunter."

J
    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
      Bruce, the one on probation
      by will8989
      is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
      Today, 12:59 AM
    • will8989
      Sundays market
      by will8989
      When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
      Today, 12:46 AM
    • will8989
      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
      by will8989
      I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
      Today, 12:27 AM
    • jim_mex
      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
      by jim_mex
      Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
      Yesterday, 08:47 PM
    • KarlB
      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
      by KarlB
      Very well done!

Karl
      Yesterday, 07:36 PM
    Working...
    X