Apple Wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Wood?

Hey, we pruned out apple tree and have some nice pieces for canes and walking sticks. How long should I let these dry?(Will they be available for the long winter months?)

Thanks,
    Joe

Re: Apple Wood?

Better seal the ends or you will have a bunch of kindling. Just dip the ends about 1/2 inch deep in melted wax and they should be ready for Christmas carving.

Comment

Candle wax or what kinda wax should I use?

Comment

Don't use ear wax! You could hurt yourself!

Comment

Candle wax should work. I used wax left from when we used to make jelly and used it for sealing the jars. Some people say paint will work as well, but I haven't tried it myself. I think the Captain was tralking from experience when he said to stay away from the ear wax method!

Comment

C Dude,
            I asked the smae question last year and followed the same advice. That stuff was hard! really really hard! I carved an apple pencil/card holder for my wife's desk at school. My hands hurt for 2 weeks after that weekend. The results were marginal so I got even by pitching it in the fireplace where I suggest you put your dried apple prunings.

After that speech I will admit that I want to try carving this years apple and apricot logs green as soon as I cut them. I am also using this plan as an excuse to postpone cutting a couple trees until after all the spring garden and yard work is done. I'll let you know in June how it worked.
            Ah Chip

Comment

Waddaya say, Moon? Can't hear ya, gotta apple tree limb in my ear....

Comment

Thanks guys, all this info a big help. Chip, I'll let you know how things go in December :-D

Joe

Comment

Wow! I didn't know that you use wax to seal a jelly jar. My grandmother always used parafin because it stayed flexable and stayed sealed even when temperature changes caused it to expand and contract.
                  grumpy560

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X