A good air brush ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good air brush ??

what kind of air brush do you all use? I am looking to buy one. any one better then the other? I will use it to paint my fish that I carve.

Re: A good air brush ??

This is somewhat akin to asking 'What is the best auto to drive?' There are dozens of choices available, each having a range of specific uses. Coupe or sedan, van or SUV? Selecting an airbrush is pretty much a personal choice, but try to choose one that will fit your needs. Shy away from the single action types - (They are O.K. for model airplanes). Choose a double-action brush with a relatively fine or medium spray pattern for the starter brush. One with interchangeable tips and needles is ideal for a wide range of jobs. I own several airbrushes, and I would suggest the Paasche VL set, or the Badger 150 series. Both of these are a good all-around brush. The biggest 'secret' to airbrushing is maintenance - KEEP IT CLEAN.
    Happy carving.

Comment

I found a lot of info by searching the web. It sounds like Iwata makes a good one. Don't buy a cheap one!

Comment

Let me ask a question about the compressor to run the air brush with. The little tiny ones at the hobby shops cost big bucks and provide almost no air volume (pressure, yes, volume,no). You can go to Lowe's and get a fairly large electric one for less than the hobby version. The bigger one can run small airtools in addition to the air brush. If you use a regulator, is there any reason not to buy a bigger compressor?

Comment

Capt'n,
          The expensive small compressors, in my opinion, are a waste of money unless you plan to travel with the equipment. e.g.-demonstrate or teach at shows, etc. A larger unit with a tank and regulator is a much more practical approach, however , some of the piston type compressors require oil lubrication which can be dispersed into the airline in an atomized form. The diaphram type compressor requires no oil and is more suitable for the air brush. In either case, a regulator and filter are a must. An inline moisture trap in the airbrush hose is also an assett. You don't want oil or dirty water mixing with your paints. The drawback to a large compressor is the additional noise, though with a tank it will cycle on and off as needed. The small ones run more quietly but constantly.

Comment

Comment

So.lotsa luck!

Al

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X