Maximum Size NE Bowl On Mini Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Size NE Bowl On Mini Lathe

This is close the largest diameter natural Edge bowl that can be made on a 10" mini lathe . It was 9.5" diameter x 5" deep when I mounted the block of wood on the lathe .

Here is what it looked like after I roughed it out from juicy wet green wood on December 24/07 and put it through the DA drying method.

And here is what it looks like almost a month later after it was dry and I put it back on the lathe today and finished it off .

It has some pretty markings on the bottom but they are only about 1/16 of an inch deep on the outside and don't show on the inside. I would liked them to have shown right through on to the inside as well but the bowl is only 1/4" thick on the walls and base so I didn't want to go any thinner.

W.Y.

Hey, that is a really pretty bowl and I love the fact that you attempt to get the max from your machinery. It takes courage to try these things out, but unless you do, you'll never know. Well done, you!

Sue

Comment

Beautiful!
      Did the color actually change that much, or is it the photos? In the first picture, I guessed the wood as cherry - but the lower ones make me think Aspen? What kind of wood is it?
      I asked for a mini-lathe for Christmas, but didn't get one -=- some day I will!
      Theresa
      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

All I can say William is WOW! You do some amazing work. I would love to be a little fly in your shop for a week and watch you work.

Tom

Comment

Nice bowl William. DA drying methode?
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Very nice William!
            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

William: that bowl is beautiful. I am also in the dark about the DA drying method.
              Best regards, Walt Rollison/Litlhof
              Scrolling with a DW788
              As long as you know you're green, you grow but when you think you're ripe you begin to rotten.

Comment

Yes, the DA drying method...inquiring minds want to know! That is a beautiful bowl, I just love things like that, especially with the bark on it. If I ever get a shop outside of a small bedroom in my house, a mini lathe will be on my list.
                Chris
                What! There's no coffee?!!

Comment

Theresa;
                  The coloring is right in the pictures. The dark colored roughed bowl in the pictures were taken right after I took them out of the denatured alcohol and they were soaking wet. The wood is horse chestnut (buckeye) . A neighbor gave me 6.5 heaping pickup truck loads of it for firewood just before Christmas . I was hauling it home the day they were cutting it from the trees.

Rolf, and Litlhof and Chris.
                  The bowls are rough turned to about 1/10th of their wall thickness. Then placed in denatured alcohol for 24 hours . Then wrapped with brown paper (as in paper bags) but only on the bottom. The inside is left open and they are placed upside down on a rack to air dry and weighed. Then weighed again and recorded every three or four days. In about two weeks they don't loose any more weight . After 4 consecutive days of staying the same weight or any time after that they are dry and can be final turned. .

Comment

William,
                    Nice bowl!! How much DNA do you use for soaking your bowls? What container do you use?

Thanks!!
                    Bob in Sachse
                    Dewalt 788 - "Ol' Yellar"

Comment

Bob;
                      I use about a gallon of D A and use a pail of suitable size depending on the size of the bowl . A small bowl wil fit in a ice cream pail while bigger bowls require bigger pails.
                      I am going to write up a tutorial on the D A method of drying bowls and put it in my site under the Tutorial boards heading so it will be there for easy reference at any time. . I will be turning a few smaller N E bowls this afternoon so it will be later in the day before I do the tutorial.
                      W.Y.

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your methods with us!
                        Theresa
                        Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

That bowl came out nice W.Y.!!! For "smaller stuff", I use a 5 gallone bucket with a snap on screw lid. Keeps it sealed up and minimizings DNA evaporation.

You should link to Dave Smith's web page......he's the one who originated the DeNatured Alcohol soak for lathe work I believe.

http://www.woodnheart.com/
                          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Mr. Young, the things you create with a lathe and scroll saw are amazing! One of these days when I am in your neck of the woods I would love to stop in and just watch you make wood into fine crafted pieces of art.
                            Sherri

Comment

bearfretwoks;
                              Thanks for pointing that out . I was trying to remember Daves name to mention it because he is truly one of the originators of the concept. . I just finished posting a lengthy tutorial about it in my own words on my Tutorials board at WWF while I was waiting for a finish to cure on a few turnings. Then I logged on here and saw your message . .

Sherri.
                              You or anyone else are welcome to visit my humble abode anytime you are in the area. I have had visitors from far and wide drop in to see me. All I need is some advance notice to be sure I will be home. The coffee is always on and if its meal time my wife makes awsome stew or shepherds pie .
                              Seeing as you are in the same province you don't have very far to travel compared to some that have visited from way out east in Canada and from down south in USA.
                              W.Y.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Hope everyone had a safe holiday.
                                by will8989
                                Sorry to hear that Scott. Bruce had it but I never did. And I try to isolate from Bruce whenever I can. ūü§™ We were even around our son and grandson right before they were diagnosed and nothing for us. I guess I overdid the shopping Carole. I tried to sign onto our bank tonight and it is ‚Äútemporarily...
                                Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                by Jim McDonald
                                My saw is in a severe state of depression due to alleged abandonment. We have been clearing Becky's office since her retirement. She one of the last two original occupants of that new building in 2001, so it has been a lot of trips to the recycling bin with student thesis files, convention papers and...
                                Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                              • Redlee
                                Hello all, new here.
                                by Redlee
                                New here and looking for some help and guidance on scroll work and saws.
                                I have a Hegner M25S and have recently made some upgrades and would like to improve the blade clamping. So looking for ideas and help.
                                Thanks
                                Yesterday, 05:54 PM
                              • Ralph123
                                Reply to Clock hardware Kits.
                                by Ralph123
                                I didn't get the message. What address did you send it to?
                                Yesterday, 02:05 PM
                              • meflick
                                by meflick
                                Whatever therapy works for you - is a good therapy. Glad your touch/retail therapy was beneficial for you Betty.

Scott, I am so sorry to ear that you and your wife have both had to fight through Covid. I hope this means that you are both on your way to healing, if a bit slowly....
                                Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                              Working...
                              X