X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plaquerd
    replied
    Bumping this up because of my mistake.

I posted that I got the riser block assembly for my Central Machinery band saw from Grizzly, while sorting through some of the mess in my files yesterday I found that I was wrong. It came from General International. Sorry if this caused any problems. Here is a PDF of the parts list.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Plaquerd
    replied
    Yes I did and the last time Lorax posted was in 2004. But this is a very good thread.

I have a Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) T32208 14", band saw. 1HP, 3 speeds. When I bought it, it didn't have a riser block and they didn't have any coming into the store. I called the customer service at HF and the guy told me they were out of stock. He said to call Grizzly as the saws were made in the same foundry and the Grizzly riser would fit my machine. I called Grizzly and ordered one. When it came the alignment pins were in the wrong place so I "ink marked" them, drilled the riser holes in the proper places and it fit perfectly, it is the same shape as the column on the saw. The upper guide bar was the wrong size too, so I had a machinist friend make one to fit. In September it will be 7 years old and the only thing I have done to it other than change blades is to put new tires on it.
    I added ball bearing roller guides and the Carter tension release also.
    I resaw most of the wood I use, from Oak, Mahogany, and Maple to Yellow Locust and Ipe. This saw has never failed me and if I remember right it cost under $350.00.
    One key is to oil, grease, clean and maintain your machines, they will serve you as long as you service them.
    Most "good" machines will last for many years if taken care of and properly maintained.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    Did anyone even notice the original post is 10 years old. Still a valid topic but...

Leave a comment:

• gfleenor
    replied
    I have the Rtgid with a riser block and have never had a problem with it.
    Gary

Leave a comment:

• WildmanJack
    replied
    Now I understand why somebody GAVE me a 3 wheeled Craftsman Band Saw!!! I HATE it !! Spent an hour getting the blade on and centered on the wheels, then broke my back bending over the make sure that the lower guides were set right. First piece of pine !!!!! Bang, the blade came off... for the 5th time!!!!!
    Jack

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    I also have the Delta with riser 1.5 horse I resaw all the time, plenty of beef.
    I did add the Carter roller bearing guides.

Another problem with the 3wheelers is the blade has to be very thin so that it can go around those small wheels.

Leave a comment:

• louhodson
    replied
    I have had a Delta 14" open base model for about 8 years or so and can't find anything to complain about. It came with the tension release lever and a 3/4 horse motor. I added a Kreg fence, the 6" riser block and a 3/4", 3 tooth Timberwolf blade. I just cut a short length of Sycamore branch, about 6" dia. lengthwise, into quarters, then cut slabs 1/4", 1/8" and credit card thickness with no problems. The pieces will need light sanding and then they're ready for use as intarsia or inlay pieces.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    [/quote] I have a Ridgid bandsaw and believe it is a very good tool, I like it, the only drawback I see, they should have used a little more common sense in design in changing blades, have to take table off etc etc, I had a shopsmith a while back that was a snap to change blades on. Still like the ridgid tho

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Bandaid
    replied
    Re: Band Saws

Lorax, next time you change a blade, use a spring clamp to hold the blade onto the rear wheel while you slide if over the other two.

Leave a comment:

• FatEddy
    replied

He can probably even get the blade folded back the way it came out of the package. Still haven't mastered that one. Got em all hanging on nails in the shop.

Leave a comment:

• lorax
    replied

The problem with the 3 wheel design is when a blade pops off, or you have to change a blade. It takes three hands to put it on, and I only have two.You can't easily push down on the tensioner and guide the blade around three wheels, or if you can you are a better man than I Gunga Din.

Leave a comment:

• Gray_Fox
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FatEddy
    replied

Properly setting up the saw being a bear isn't unique to the Sear's saw xxx every band saw I have ever seen is ticklish, especially when it comes to the narrower blades. Half inchers and up aren't much problem, but the 1/8 inchers are nasty.

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Bandaid
    replied

I'm not sure why you want to get rid of the Sears 3-wheeler. I have one and it seems to work quite well. However, it is a pain in the bucket to adjust and you MUST adjust the blade guides properly to get a straight cut. The users manual seems to be written in a combination of English and Rubbish so understanding how to adjust the saw can be challenging. Once I got it set up, it seems to work well....except for the part where the cut goes to the right...darned blade kerf!

Leave a comment:

• FatEddy
    replied

Won't go so far as to say one is better than the other but have had the delta for a number of years. Used it mostly to rought out bows from osage orange and hickory. Make my whittling cut outs with it also, after changing to a 1/8 inch blade of course, but that's pretty light work compared to the bows. Only thing I could really ask for woulld be a larger motor. Gets kind of warm when roughing out the bows, but doubt a carver would have a problem. Bow staves are usually roughly 6' long and 4' or so on a side and hard as a rock (almost).

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
    Reply to Bruce’s new toys
    by will8989
    I forgot to mention the 5000 watt(?) generator his brother gave him. His brother does house remodeling and lots of times people give him “stuff” just to get rid of it. Bruce had to drain the gas, change the fuel lines and some other minor things for $35 and it starts on the first pull....
    Today, 09:20 AM
  • will8989
    by will8989
    This is his $40 haul. The paint bush was never used. He cleaned up the grinder. He added up all the attachments and brand new everything would be almost $800. This was their yearly tool swap. Every month members bring things they don’t need and swap smaller items. Even scrap wood. Anything 5”x5”...
    Today, 09:06 AM
  • Rolf
    by Rolf
    That is what our woodworking group does for the members if sadly needed....
    Today, 08:49 AM
  • Rolf
    Reply to Hi All
    by Rolf
    Where are you located in England? I was at RAF Lakenheath back in the early 70's and bought my 70 TVR Vixen, which I still have. I absolutely loved my time there.!...
    Today, 08:46 AM
  • Kingpin
    Reply to Hi All
    by Kingpin
    all for the warm welcome 😎
    Today, 07:03 AM
Working...
X