Carving Bench Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving Bench Pattern

Can anyone recomend a patern for a sit down bench. I have seen several examples in books. They look like old school desks, but beefier. I can't stand up for very long since I wrecked the bike. Thanks!

Re: Carving Bench Pattern

Rlatini, I don't think you really need any special kind of bench. I have been working on a 6' long folding table for years. A card table would do if it is sturdy enough. This assumes that you are not using a mallet. There is a picture of my 'studio' on my website: www.geocities.com/captainbandaids

Comment

If you plan on relief carving, you may want to look at the Lee Valley site that shows the Veritas carving bench:
      http://www.leevalley.com/wood/index....mp;ccurrency=2
      I've seen some books and videos that show 'benches' that are nearly vertical, to keep the stress off your back.
      Chris Pye also shows a photo of a carving on a carving vice that is nearly vertical:
      http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/...aims.html#news

I work on a slightly elevated, slanted surface that sits on a table, and it's good for carving in the round as well as small relief carvings. As my eyes get weaker, I find myself bending closer to the work, and that hurts my back. So, if you can't stand up, try to arrange your work to be closer to eye level. I'd love to try that Veritas bench, but $500 is a little steep for something you should be able to cobble up yourself.

Comment

Check out Estate auctions there are tons of old work benches at these sales and bidding is always alot of fun. Guys, I'm looking for ideas on travel standup benches. I will be doing some carving at shows and need something to put in the back of my truck. It needs to be big enough for large sign boards. Steady enough for hamer, chisel, and drawknife work. I know all you smart people will have great Ideas. How bout it Captain?
        Visit Easton, Md's Waterfowl Festival November 8th 9th and 10th.

Comment

I used to do flea markets and what I used was a solid core door that I pre-dirlled so I could bolt it to folding saw horses. Used saw hrses that had 2x4 tops and pre-drilled them to match the door. Then I put those nuts with spikes on them (sorry don't know what they're called) onto the bottom of the 2x 4's (saved hunting nuts and washers). Anyway, whole thing went in the bed of the truck. Door on the floor and saw horses wherever they fit for the day. Used the same setup for reloading ammo and it was plenty stable for that even when reforming brass. Don't know if they make collapsable saw horses long enough or not, but guess you could modify them or use something else. I'm using the door for a computer table top on top of two filing cabinets now.

Comment

I have never tried to make or use a fixture to hold a large relief carving. However, I saw one made of 4x4's that looked like a small 'h' with cross bars on each of the bottom legs to allow it to stand up. The h was about 6' tall. On the back side of the h, there was another 4x4 sticking out about 8' and to that the man had affixed a carving vise. This let him carve standing up. HOWEVER, this does not appear to be very portable.

Comment

Well I found one at the Goodwill store. Actually it is an old school desk. Metal frame with a basket under the seat and a 3/4in maple desk top. Remember those? Solid, stable & I can keep my feet on the floor. I plan to drill an assortment of holes for hold down clamps, dogs, and jigs. If I learn to run the vacuum, Mama may commute my banishment to the garage. The best part is the price $9.91.

Thanks for all the info

Bob

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                Reply to New tools
                by jim_mex
                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to New tools
                by Hobbyhorse
                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by Hobbyhorse
                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by KarlB
                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                by KarlB
                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
              Working...
              X