Dry wood problem solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry wood problem solved!

My wife gets credit for this one. I have a problem with my wood getting too dry which causes lots of carving problems. As we were cleaning out the garage, my wife pulled out a styrofoam cooler.

Some empty margarine tubs, a cup of water, and problem solved!

Re: Dry wood problem solved!

I assume you put water in the tubs and then keep your wood in the cooler with the lid closed. Does it mold if left too long? How long can you leave it in there?
    Jim McKinney

Comment

If your problem is that the dry wood is too hard to carve, spray it with a 50/50 mixture of alcohol/water. Use regular rubbing alcohol. Don't use Jack Daniels as you will be tempted to drink it instead of spraying it... that won't make the wood any easier to carve, but you won't care!

If the problem is with the wood splitting, you could also sprau it with water and put it in a garbage bag. Keeping it in the refrigerator will prevent any mold.

Comment

I have had a small problem with leaving the wood too long in the cooler. I left a carving I am working on in the box for six days and it warped. Nothing serious, but it could have been if it were another piece. I have found two to three days to be a good number.

Yes, you do put water in the box, the tubs are to keep your work out of the wter, and no, I haven't had any problems with molding. GL.

Comment

??? what state are you in, I'm at 8500 feet in the Rocky Mountains and dryness in the wood is a BIG problem here!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X