Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid Core Golf Balls

Re: Solid Core Golf Balls

Any 'Pinacle' or 'Top Flight' will have a solid core. Most of the newer balls are all solid core there are very few wound balls made anymore. I could go out in the shop and start cutting covers off and come up with more brands, but the two I just cited should be plenty as they are very very common. If you are forced to buy them you can get a 15 or 18 pack at wal-mart for around $15. Actually, any ball that comes in a 15 or 18 pack for around that price will have a solid core.

Comment

FatEddy,

Do you cut your balls with a saw or knife? Sounds like a hack saw works well. Have you carved them a lot? What faces or figures do you put in them and where do you get your ideas?
      Jim McKinney

Comment

Big_Sid - I use a hack saw, but if I was going to do a bunch of them I think I would try some sort of jig on my band saw. Haven't given that much thought though so don't have any suggestions in that respect. I've been strictly a whittler up until about a week ago and the golf balls were just too detailed for my knife. Just got some palm tools so will give it another go in the near future. Kind of been thinking along the lines of making some of those bead and safety pin Indian headresses and putting a carved face inside or some such. Just thinking

Comment

HEY GUYS! I SAW A NICE JIG FOR DRILLING OR CUTTING GOLF BALLS. ITS IN THE SEPTEMBER ISSUE OF CREATIVE WOODWORKS AND CRAFTS MAGAIZINE. ITS ON PAGE 57.
          ITS CALLED THE GOLF BALL HOLDING JIG. LOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE ADAPTED FOR CUTTING AND CARVING ALSO. HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP.

Comment

Hi all ,
            I used my Dremel multipro cordless with a cutting wheel to remove the cover . And if you use the balls that already have a smile in them you can tell if the inside is wound or not.
            Also if you use the ones with smiles and asphalt burns then your only wasting a practice ball . I personaly don't golf but have several friends at work that do and they dont mind giving me thier bad golf balls for practice . Then I can buy for serious projects. By the way the real reason I came on here was to find out which issue the artical was in about the golf ball carving.

Comment

I already mentioned this in another thread but will post it again. Treeline, is selling a new booklet ,all about golf ball carving ,with complete steps from acquiring to painting on 4 differant balls, i ordered a copy should recieve it tomorrow.
              As far as cutting golf balls ,i tried everything from,mounting in drill press and cutting like a lathe,BTW worked great. But ,found the easiest ,fastest,and safe way ,was to get a large PVC pipe cutter and not modify it like some article say ,but simply cut ball in halve ,remove covers and super glue halves back to getter, no glue seams show and after carving and placing halve back in cover ,cant see it anyway.
              Oh, the book is about 64 pages and 15.95 plus 5.95 shipping

Comment

Paul J.

I am not familar with Treeline. Can you tell me more about it?
                Jim McKinney

Comment

http://www.treelineusa.com
                  Indiana USA&&http://pyrogite.tripod.com

Comment

Last spring I ordered 300 used golf balls from Ebay, and out of that many only two had wound cores. As far as colors, its like a box of chocolates. Most old balls were made with wound cores, newer ones are solid 'Delrin'. I was in the process of writing a golf ball carving book, until I saw someone already has. I now own his book and its pretty good.

Comment

I've done two or three dozen golfballs. Started cutting with hack or coping saw. Now use the little fiberglass cutting disc that Dremmel has--quite a bit quicker and cleaner, but it does melt edges--easy to clean off when cool.

Dunlop and Spalding are other brands. Several years ago Harold Enlow gave us a list of brands and colors with inside colors, too, but I filed the list away where it wouldn't get lost!

Usually carve faces, but have done scenes, bald heads, back and side views of faces, flowers, etc.

Comment

It would be great to see some of the golf balls you've carved Donna.
                        Jim McKinney

Comment

Hey,
                          Sorry, I've never thought about taking a picture of my carved golfballs--although I take picts of other carvings!! ??? Have given most of them away to golfing friends and sold a few along the way. Can we post photos on this site? I'll have to ask a grandkid how to do it---they are more technosavy than I am!!

Thanks for reply--gave me something new to think about!
                          Donna

Comment

I have a couple pictures of golf balls on my web site - http://home.byu.net/~bdm4

I use a lathe to split my golf balls. I turned a custom chuck out of some scrap wood and mount the balls between the pieces. Turned slowly it takes less than a minute to get a clean cut. I pry off the cover with a small screwdriver (wear a glove in case it slips). I turn mostly top flight balls because they're cheap.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                              by cwmagee
                              Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                              Today, 03:36 PM
                            • Sandy Oaks
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by Sandy Oaks
                              So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                              Today, 02:56 PM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by NC Scroller
                              I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                              Today, 11:24 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Big week here
                              by NC Scroller
                              Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                              Today, 11:18 AM
                            • jim_mex
                              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                              by jim_mex
                              Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                              Today, 09:17 AM
                            Working...
                            X