Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yam carving

Re: Yam carving

??? I once carved an apple and let it dry and it made a very interesting face with all the shrivels and wrinkles. I don't know what a yam would look like after you carved and dried it. I would think that preserving it would be difficult.

Comment

Popeye said it best; ' I yam what I yam and that's all what I Yam!' Sorry never even heard of carving yams before, but let us know how they turn out. Always looking for a new mewdium!

Al from Da UP ???

Comment

http://www.schifferbooks.com/crafts/...76430500X.html

If I ever take the time I to learn I could probably post a clickable link. but that is the site for the schiffer book 'the yam yankee'

dave

Comment

double wow. my links seem to be working just by copy and pasting. :P now I just hope it's not annoying to many peeps.

Dave

Comment

: well, if Tom Wolfe can write a book about carving yams, that makes it official. HEY ADMINISTRATOR! WE NEED ANOTHER FORUM. I can just imagine the first great controversy will be whether yams are better to carve than sweet potatos! Do you bake'em first?

Comment

Carved a face on a sweet potato last summer. I kind of exagerated the features. I put it on a paper plate on the dash of my pickup truck. With the sun and the heat beating down on it , it resembled a dried up root with a face on it after a month. It also kept rolling off the dash. I didn't coat it with anything and it started to rot and had to trash it.

Comment

I forgot to tell you that I used uncooked blackeye peas or beans for the eyes .Just push them in the eye sockets.IT makes the carving look more believable. just push them in just enough to hold in place while drying.Position the black spots the same on both eyes.

Comment

:P well, you heard it here first! Another definition of what makes for a rotten carving! :P

Comment

I saw a lady at a show two weeks ago who was carving yams. She said to wash it well after carving to remove bacteria or it will spoil. She put a hole in the back large enough to hold a pencil sized dowel rod and suspended it for drying. She then painted it with acrylics and sealed with satin polyurethane. Some she antiqued with stain varnish. I thought they were pretty unusual, but I am going to try it. I guess you just have to give a yam!

Comment

Sounds like a good meal/deal to me! You could cook & eat your failed attempts instead of merely burning them! :
                      Pineyknot

Comment

I would thing that you could seal it with a brown sugar glaze.
                        :P

Comment

Comment

:P Has anyone here ever tried to carve a hard boiled egg? How long do you boil it? Do you try to remove the yolk first? What is the potential market for carved hard boiled eggs?

Comment

not sure Capt'n but if you carve a chicken out of that egg you will have the answer to an age old question.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Rolf
                                Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                                Today, 08:10 AM
                              Working...
                              X