Hurricane Ian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Ian

I hope that any of our friends in its path are safe.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

We just got some rain and now it’s windy. Rain off and on until Tuesday here. I have some friends in Florida I haven’t heard from that were in bad zones.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

All fine in my part of the world. Just leaves and small branches to clean up.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Well Ian went north of me, but the effects were felt all over South west Florida. I stayed in our manufacture home and watched the winds and driving rains for hours. We lost power and internet for 6 days. It has been devastating to the area.

When I went to work this morning I saw a boat in the road. Houses with damage and people throwing out their water (salt) soaked belongings. The super on the job lost 2 cars and a work pickup. The house I was working in had 15" of water in the garage during the storm (it has since receded). Neighbors of the supervisor lost a Bentley and a Porsche.

Sanibel, Captiva, Pine Island, Matlacha are now cut off from the mainland and it's currently predicted it will be at least a year for rebuilding the causeway to the island.

The pictures you may be seeing show the true devastation to this vacation area.

It will take years and millions (probably billion) of dollars to rebuild. They say it will be 6 billion in damages, but I think the number will go way up!

We have been blessed by God in having two hurricanes go over us and near us in 5 years and have little to no significant damage.

Pray for those who have lost their loved ones, their homes, their possessions, their business's and their jobs.

Karl
        Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Karl Glad you and your family are OK.!
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

We rented a house on a canal in Cape Corral for next February. Trying to find it if it is even still standing.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

After over a week trying to make contact with her and her husband I just heard back from one of our older members and founder of the Intarsia Nuts Facebook group, Jan Doner. Jan and her husband John live in the Saratosa area inland from the coast. Their house suffered minor damage but they were without power for a week and a half and their cellphone and internet reception is just getting back online. Their biggest loss was losing almost all of their frozen food store due to lack of refrigeration. According to Jan the best thing that happened in recent days when the power came back was to be able to have a hot shower! She commented that in the aftermath of the storm there was an absence of wildlife in her area but a couple of days back the songbirds had started to return and she’d seen a rabbit and a couple of tortoises in her garden. I guess its easy to forget that not only people have been affected by this disaster.

I can’t begin to imagine how folks go about putting their lives back together after losing almost everything but I hope and pray that they can and will.

Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Haven’t heard from my friend in Port Charlotte yet. I can’t even imagine what it’s like. Glad you’re ok Karl.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• daveswoodworking
                  Need help
                  by daveswoodworking
                  Hi everyone I’m looking for some 3-d wood puzzles like the picture and some other fish I’ve seen them around before I would like to find couple or find the pattern to try to make one for my self thanks for any help David...
                  Yesterday, 10:28 PM
                • daveswoodworking
                  Reply to Ornament Exchange 2022
                  by daveswoodworking
                  I received my ornament from Jim McDonald yesterday thank you for the ornament
                  Yesterday, 10:24 PM
                • bstark
                  How many times will I...
                  by bstark
                  How many times will I make a cut for inlay, then forget to reset the blade angle to 90 degrees? UGH!
                  Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Today’s market
                  by will8989
                  Rolf, on your second picture did you resize O Holy Night or was that the angle of the camera? How did you carve the bowl behind it? A little birdie told me I was getting the rest of what I need so I can do bowl and spoon carving. Actually, I told the bird what I needed/wanted. Your work is amazing.
                  Yesterday, 09:28 PM
                • Daddy's scroller
                  Reply to Ornament Exchange 2022
                  by Daddy's scroller
                  Thank you Jim I got your oranment yesterday. I love it...
                  Yesterday, 07:54 PM
                Working...
                X