What not to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What not to do.

I made these baskets to take to the market yesterday. I decided at the last minute to use my sanding mop one last time on the maple one. First mistake, didn’t adjust the rpms. Second, didn’t double check to make sure the mop was secured in the drill press. Turned it on, the mop flew out of the drill press, hit my right arm and left hand, basket went flying, the mop flew about 6 feet behind me, hit something and ricocheted into my storage closet 12 feet away. Basket didn’t make the market. On the upside, the finish wasn’t bad on the maple basket.
    Attached Files
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Well, the basket may be in pieces, but at least you're not! Glad that was the extent of the damage!
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Just a stupid mistake. I usually do all my mop sanding outside. I have a drill press set at 380 rpm’s in the shed and that’s all I use it for so I never have to check it. Won’t make that mistake again!
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Did you end up bruised or abraded when the mop hit? I would be blue from elbow to fingertips.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

What a shame Nice looking basket. Glad there were no injuries. That seems like a slow speed for the mop. I run my MAC mop on the end of my Sand Flee, I think it spins at 1725.

Last edited by Rolf; 09-12-2022, 10:58 AM.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Just checked what Bruce has it set at - 3600!!! No wonder I had flying pieces! Surprisingly the only injury I had was scrape cut on my left thumb.
            Betty

Comment

Hey Betty - that sounds like something I would likely do by accident knowing my penchant for getting into self inflicted problems. I’m very glad to hear that you escaped any serious problems.
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

The weather is getting cooler this week. I can start using my drill press, that I bought for $40 many years ago just for this, outside set at less than 400. I still have pieces fly but they land in the grass.
                Betty

Comment

Dumb thing #2 what not to do. Had a small amount of mineral spirits in a little container on my work table to soak spray glue nozzle. Took nozzle out, walked away. Few minutes later I put my IPad on the table and my hand knocked over the container as I walking away. About 10 steps I remember the mineral spirits. Do you know fast and far 1 tablespoon of mineral spirits travels across a table? Luckily the iPad was in the case. I never put it on the table but in the rack in the corner but was in a hurry. Can’t wait for dumb thing #3.
                  Last edited by will8989; 09-25-2022, 10:20 PM.
                  Betty

Comment

Could have been worse, lacquer thinner or Acetone.
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Bad things travel in 3's.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

That’s why I’m waiting for #3 to drop Scott. It only damaged my case as I have my iPad in the cover at all times. And besides, that is on Bruce’s side and I use it over there if I use it.
                        Last edited by will8989; 09-26-2022, 08:11 PM.
                        Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                          Reply to Another Celtic cross
                          by cwmagee
                          Alex, your creativity is amazing, keep up the great work.
                          Yesterday, 09:47 PM
                        • Harry
                          Reply to Toy jeeps
                          by Harry
                          Hi Jim.

The paints I used are mainly aerosol spray.

The green is Rus-oleum Painters touch, craft enamel.

The red is a stores brand own name, just called Wilko's

Don't know if you will get either of these in Mexico, but I'm

sure you...
                          Yesterday, 01:18 PM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Toy jeeps
                          by jim_mex
                          Great work and patience needed to pull off these smaller toys. You did a fantastic job! I really like them.

I'm curious to know what type of paints you use if you don't mind sharing the brand name.
                          Yesterday, 10:15 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Another Celtic cross
                          by jim_mex
                          Nice precise work Alex, as always from you.

I also find Celtic these designs fascinating due to their intricacy and geometrical symmetry but I doubt I have your patience to cut them!

Well done!
                          Yesterday, 10:12 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to My first craft show next weekend
                          by Rolf
                          Bstark, take a look at out simple table setup that I have posted in Bettys posting. This fair is an annual fund raiser for our churches women's group. So I pay for two 8 ft tables (so I don't need to bring any) A couple of nice table clothes and I put shutters on each end and made special shelves...
                          Yesterday, 08:28 AM
                        Working...
                        X