Folding knives

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folding knives

Okay..I give up...the computer has finally got me. I am a member but every time I try and post it logs me out. So anyway, my question is, has anyone tried the folding woodcarving knive that is advertised on page 17 of Wood Carving Illustrated? Quality, ability to hold an edge, etc. For $89, I want to see some reviews before I buy.
    Best Regards
    Ric701
  • John_T.
    • Dec 2001

Re: Folding knives

I saw that! Its looks very tempting for traveling but I would like to see one in person first. The last time I got a knife costing that much it was a big custom made sign carving knife. This knife looks realy nice but should have a life time Guarantee for that price. Most custom knifes can be picked up for under $40.00.
    Visit Easton, Md's Waterfowl Festival November 8th 9th and 10th.

Comment

Comment

• AlArchie

Gotta try this just to see if I get kicked off the post.....
        Looked at that knife ad, and it really looks like something I'd like, but my wife and pocketbok won't let my put up that kind of fee!
        Al

Comment

I guess what bothers me about the price of this knife is the foot note that indicates it a 'limited time introductory price'. Wow. how much more can they charge for this thing. Maybe they don't understand that carvers generally don't rush into things, and can use the most crude type of tools to get our job done. The blade doesn't look much different than my old three blade pocket knife that I have used for over 15 years when I want to do some small casual carving.
          Rick

Comment

• FatEddy
            Member - Level 2
            • Jul 2002

I've been a whittler for quite a few years and to me the main benefits of a folding knife are that you can carry it in your poket and it offers an assortment of blades. I have three folders a large stockman model that measure 4' closed which is too big to carry comfortably in your pocket and the blades are bigger than they need to be. I have a medium sized stockman that measures 3 1/4' closed and is about the maximum size to carry comfortably in you pocket. The third is my favorite a model 303 buck that also measure 3 1/4 inches closed. The disadvantage of all three is they required a lot of sharpening to get the bevels correct for whittling/carving. But once this was done they are about the only knives I use. All that said, the one on page 17 looks to be to big to carry comfortably in you pocket plus the cost. The most I paid for any of the above knives was about $30 at walmart. The big stockman I got at sears for about $20 (Although that was over 20 years ago) and the small Stockman was from smoky mountain knife works for about $15 on sale about 5 years ago. Just watch out and don't get a knife with stainless blades, for some reason the just don't take the edge that high carbon blades do.

Comment

• Captain_Bandaid
              Banned
              • Dec 2001

I bought a medium Stockman knife with carbon steel blades because carbon steel does take a finer edge. Brought it home and sharpened it up to a razor edge. Three problems. First, the blades were sharp enough but thicker than my normal carving knives. It did not cut as easily as I am used to. Second, it rusted in my pocket (Texas can be humid!). Third, in order to get blades that were fairly small, the body of the knife was small, making it uncomfortable to hold on to. I had to ask myself: Where am I going that I need to carry a woodcarving knife in my pocket? Especially one that does not cut well. I carry a stainless pocket knife and when I go somewhere where I might do some carving, I bring a couple of my regular knives. Just didn't work for me.

Comment

• millhoused
                • Sep 2002

I have had the same issues with folding knives.
                My solution:
                Buy a good high carbon steel folder that fits comfortably in your hand and modify the blades to be better suited for carving. It isn't as hard as you might think. The biggest issue is don't let heat build up on the blade while you are shaping it. Keep a bucket of water handy and every few seconds dunk it. For some good examples of what can be done with a folding knife visit http://home.hiwaay.net/~jwhiren/home.html

Also, for you folks having trouble posting as anything but guest you have to select Tools-> Internet Options -> Privacy and drag the slider all the way to the bottom. Accept all cookies. Apparently this web site doesn't handle cookies in the accepted manner an causes problems with any other setting.
                May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

• Callynne
                  Member - Level 2
                  • Mar 2002

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

• Captain_Bandaid
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2001

'Lovely to look at
                    Delightful to fold,
                    but if they were useful,
                    They'd all be sold'

No prices on that website, how come?

Comment

• millhoused
                      • Sep 2002

I don't know about the prices from the web site. I only use it for ideas and create my own knives. Correction someone else makes the knife. I modify the blade profile to be better for carving.

I sometimes use my dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut unwanted steel from a blade. (Being ever so careful not to get the blade too hot).
                      I use a combination of Grinding wheels, diamond hones, polishing wheels, and leather strop to sharpen the new blade edge.
                      May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...