Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My motorbike's been gathering cobwebs for too long. Time to remedy this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My motorbike's been gathering cobwebs for too long. Time to remedy this....

Hi folks. I just posted a thread explaining my absence from the forum for most of this and in it I mentioned I was hoping to get back to scrolling soon but this week a distraction has come up which is going to take me away from all shop work for at least another month.

As folks who have read my past pos know I bought as a retirement present a Honda NC 750X DCT dual sport motorbike with the plan to use it for long distance traveling. I've now owned the bike for just over 2 years and am ashamed to admit that I've only put about 2,000 miles on the clock which is ridiculous.

This week an opportunity came up to correct this situation as follows...

Our son Kevin has been invited to spent several days in the USA visiting my SIL and husband who live in Rocky Mount, NC. After asking what was the occasion for the invite it turns out that SIL and her favourite nephew are going to a concert in Atlanta at the end of the month. This got me thinking - dangerous I know! Why don't I visit them in Atlanta and travel there on my bike!

After checking just exactly where Atlanta is I then expanded my plans to visit Nashville on the way to Atlanta and call in at New Orleans on the way back. Heck, it's only a round trip of approx. 4,000 miles give or take a hundred or so.. Chicken-feed to a world traveller like I was before I retired !

This plan has caused chaos in our household with comments like ' you're too accident prone to make that trip!", "act your age and forget this crazy idea!" "travelling north in Mexico isn't safe, the narcos will be out to get you!" - all of which just hardened my resolve to make the trip.

Yesterday I started looking at routes to travel on this trip and I came across a fantastic scenic and historical route run by the National Park Service which is apparently is well loved by bikers called the Natchez Trace Parkway which runs 450 miles from the town of Natchez, Mississippi in the south, up to the outskirts of Nashville. From Nashville it's a short drive south to Atlanta and from Atlanta a drive south west to Mobile and then down pick up to the Gulf coastal road through to New Orleans. From New Orleans its back to a Mexican border crossing and then make the long drive back home.

I calculate that the trip will take me at least 3 weeks and maybe stretch to 4 depending on what other sights and attractions I come across on the way. One thing is for sure, by the time I get back home, assuming all goes well, my bike should have racked up enough miles to allow me to put it in for its first service.

So, am I crazy? Best not answer that !!!

Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

I am 45 minutes from Rock Mount and the weather is great for that boat ride I promised.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Sorry Scott - I’ll not be travelling so far north on this trip. I only sold Norma on the trip by telling her that travelling to Atlanta was half the distance than going to Rocky Mount!

Hopefully I’ll get to to see you again next year and finally take that boat trip.

Cheers my friend and say hello to Jane for me.
      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Please be careful! That is a very long trip, How many miles per day do you do?

I haven't taken my TVR out of the garage for a month the huge back window makes the heat in the car unbearable.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hi Rolf - rather than calculate how many miles per day I will travel I'll probably work on a maximum of 4 - 5 hours once I cross into the USA riding on the stretches were there is not too much to see. I much prefer to set off at the crack of dawn and ride about 3 hours whilst the weather is relatively cool and then maybe pull in a couple more hours in the late afternoon before getting to wherever I am heading. Once I get on the Natchez Trace Parkway my riding time will depend very much on how long I stop over at the various interesting points along the route so I've given myself 3 - 4 days to travel this part of my trip.

By far my longest riding days will be when making the trip up to the border from home. Since posting this thread I've ruled out crossing into the US on one of the 2 eastern crossing points at McAllen or Laredo which are closest to me because the routes leading to them can be a bit insecure due to disputes between organized crime groups. Instead I'll cross at Eagle Pass (Piedras Negras) which from my home is almost 800 miles travel of main highways with tolls which if I want to get there in 2 days would mean about 7 hrs riding each day, which is probably too much. Dependent how things go I'll likely choose to break this journey up into 3 days. I'm fortunate to have a biker friend from my home town who moved up into Piedras Negras a couple of years back and I'll be able to stop over with him to freshen up and rest a little before crossing over to the USA. From Eagle Pass I'll then make the relatively short journey to San Antonio and from there strike out to Natchez to begin the ride north up the Trace to Nashville. The Trace has a strictly imposed maximum speed limit of 50 mph with a good road and no commercial vehicles allowed which should make for very easy riding in relatively short hops between points of interest.

I plan to set off next week probably on the 16th or 17th and so long as I get to Atlanta by the 27th to meet up with Kevin and Miriam (SIL) I should have plenty of time to take in what I want to see. After leaving Atlanta on the 29th I can then head for home in no real rush to allow me to spend some time in and around New Orleans.

My only hope is that the weather stays reasonably dry but if storms do swing across my route although I do have lightweight wet weather gear I prefer to find somewhere reasonable to hole up until they pass.

And yes, I plan to travel safe!!!

PS - I fully understand the heat issue with TVR. There's no sense in cooking yourself when driving!

Cheers!

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Soooo, the house remodel project just not quite enough to keep you occupied, eh?

Good luck on the trip. Safe travels and clear skies. Looking forward to the travelogue.

Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Arghhh! - the weather Gods are not in my favour. I was planning to set off on my trip on Tuesday morning but after checking the 10 day weather forecast it looks like the whole of central to northern Mexico into Texas and Mississippi are in for a lot of rain and some heavy thunderstorms. As I have a lot of distance to cover and don’t relish the idea of riding in hours of rain I’m going to put off starting my trip until Friday morning. I’m then going to run my circular tour in reverse by traveling to New Orleans first then on to Atlanta where I plan to arrive no later than the evening of the 26th to meet up with Kevin and my SIL. I’ll then head to Nashville on the 29th and take as long as I need to travel south down the Natchez Trace Parkway and take in the sights before heading back to the frontier crossing at Eagle Pass tentatively via Houston and San Antonio. It’s kinda amusing to think that when I get to Eagle Pass I’ll be one of the few Mexicans legally wanting to cross the Rio Bravo in a southerly direction!!!

Fingers crossed that the weather Gods don’t screw me up again!
              Last edited by jim_mex; 08-15-2022, 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

There is a good chance you will be driving within a mile of my house in Manchester, TN, if your are on I24 going towards Nashville. If you are hungry at that point, let me know, I'll buy you and whoever is with you, a TN style meal.
                Last edited by hotshot; 08-17-2022, 08:49 AM.
                "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

You’re on Randy! I’d love to meet up with you. Thanks for the invite. Private message me your address and phone number please and I’ll give you advance notice of when I’ll be in your area. Almost certainly I’ll be traveling north from Atlanta on the morning of the 29th.

Btw - I’m known to eat almost anything except grits!

Cheers!
                  Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

I vote we invite Jim to Texas every time we have a drought.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X