Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will8989
    replied
    I know. By the time he got there the table was on fire. The scale had melted into a plastic and medal blob. From what I have read they let the electric cars just burn as they can’t do anything. Also, I’ve read the replacement batteries cost more than the car when it has to be replaced.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Quartz43 View Post
    Lithium batteries are an interesting technology and full of issues.
    1. The mining of lithium is challenging and with Chile being a leading producer and comes from brines.
    2. There is the ever present danger of fires both in shipping batteries and even charging at home.
    3. As time goes by, recycling becomes important and will not be easy or cheap. In the near future there will be slot of the EV batteries reaching the end of life and there is currently no large scale recycling.
    That needs to happen!

Betty, you also can't put out a lithium fire with water, which has become a real challenge for the firefighters that respond to an accident involving an electric car.
    Last edited by Rolf; 07-23-2022, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Quartz43
    replied
    Lithium batteries are an interesting technology and full of issues.
    1. The mining of lithium is challenging and with Chile being a leading producer and comes from brines.
    2. There is the ever present danger of fires both in shipping batteries and even charging at home.
    3. As time goes by, recycling becomes important and will not be easy or cheap. In the near future there will be slot of the EV batteries reaching the end of life and there is currently no large scale recycling.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Even dead batteries? Lucky they were awake and he smelled the smoke. Earlier, he brought all his recordingequipment out of the garage into the house. He still doesn’t know why he did that but it could have been a whole different ending. Our grandson has no memory of it. He spent the night here last night and slept for almost 12 hours. I’ll mention it to him so he can remove the batteries in any other stuff he may have them in.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    The Lithium Ion batteries have been a problem. Some of the cheaper ones (all come from China) have been known to over heat and self combust. We have had several fires the last couple of years started by people bringing their electric bikes into their apartments.

They were lucky it wasn't worse!

Leave a comment:

• cwmagee
    replied
    Perhaps the battery was not dead prior to starting the fire!

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    started a topic Call from Elliott’s mom

Call from Elliott’s mom

”We had a fire tonight in the garage (attached to house they rent).” My son had a battery operated scale on top of a wooden table in the middle of the garage and it caught fire. When he smelled smoke and got in the garage the flames were 5’. She got Elliott, who didn’t want to leave without his “stuff”, slipped on a wet tile floor, landed on her knee and finally got him out. The only damage was the table and scale. But…. Scary thought. She’s ok, banged up knee & hip, bandages on her arm, and Elliott is enjoying the day with Mom, watching movies and having his favorite IHOP delivered. Me, I think I need another blood pressure pill. How could scale with a dead battery catch fire? And the beat goes on.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X