Off on another tangent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off on another tangent!

This is my first Peppermill a fast fun turning. Been wanting to make one since 2004 when I bought my first used Jet 1236 lathe. Have since replaced it with a Nova DVR XP 16-24 I have since added a bed extension.
    What a pleasure compared to the Jet, mainly because of the variable speed direct drive, instead of the limited 6 speed reeves drive on the Jet.
    A piece of Zebra wood. I put a few coats of polyurethane gloss on it.
    Betty does Bruce seal the insides at all? 3-1/2 " tall. Also do you provide pepper corns with it when you sell them?

I bought an assortment of kits just to get a feel for our market.

First pepper mill.jpg
    Last edited by Rolf; 06-14-2022, 08:50 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

There goes Rolf spinning away......
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

No he doesn’t seal the inside. We have one that didn’t turn out the way he wanted that we take and use as a sample of the insides and how it works. There’s some things we don’t do because of insurance. Supplying peppercorns, or any type of food, painting puzzles, etc. I asked him the process and after a few minutes I told him to write it down. He does use water based high gloss polyurethane but then he lost me. His takes 5 days to cure, one day between each coat. He’s looking to cut time down by 2 days. He also has 10 of the smaller salt & pepper shakers to make. I was supposed to order 2 but somehow I got 10. 🤪🤪 All of the grinders are scrap wood. The reason for the sample? The top is not centered by 1/8”. SLRA in action. Finishing directions to follow.
      Attached Files
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Betty has he tried water based lacquer? If he does light coats with an HVLP sprayer he can recoat in about 30 minutes. I use Emtech EM6000 with the CL100 crosslinker.

I haven't done any Peppermills recently. I did a few from Penn State Industries but wasn't fond of the mechanisms. The salt grinders and Florida humidity didn't like each other I guess because the mechanism got corroded and froze up in a few months. Maybe the ceramic mechanism would be better.

I did get a new toy for the shop Rolf I just finished wiring up the phase converter.
        Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

The new ceramic ones seem to be doing fine. We only sold them as pepper grinders before they changed to ceramic. He has a sprayer he used for the cabinets but takes longer to clean than use. The time involved is he lets them dry a day between each coat. He usually turns 10 at a time. He puts them on the lathe and uses a white rag to put rub on the poly. He also puts on a museum wax as the final coat. The cutaway shows the ceramic mechanism.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Tim . remind me what do you need the phase converter for? Did you get a lathe or big motor that required one.?

Betty I like the cut away. I also agree 1/8 is huge!
            Rolf

Comment

Maybe that’s why we sell alot. What’s a phase converter?
              Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                Maybe that’s why we sell alot. What’s a phase converter?
                There are larger electric motors that require 3 phases such as industrial machines. A phase converter does just that. it takes typical single phase household electrical power and converts it to 3 phase. If I were to buy an old industrial milling machine I would have to do that.
                https://www.northamericaphaseconvert...se-converters/
                Rolf

Comment

I picked up a South Bend Heavy 10 last year so the new toy kind of goes with the lathe. I think the shop tool list is complete now other than upgrades.
                  Tim

Comment

I have not tried to apply the water based lacquer with a brush or rag. Maybe I'll order a few kits and give it a shot. Are you guys ordering them from PSI or one of the other suppliers?
                    Tim

Comment

Here we go, just got from Bruce: uses an old t shirt to put on water based polyurethane. Let’s dry one day. Between each coat he lightly sands with 400 and 600 grit sand paper to knock of nips (I’m guessing any tiny lumps) than puts on another coat, sanding between each coat. Does this for 5 coats, final sands with 4000 sand paper, puts on Bison wax and buffs. They feel like silk. He turns 6 or more at one time. We get everything from PSI. For the cheese boards we get the slicing unit from rockler. I think I should charge secretary fees.
                      Betty

Comment

I am the proud owner of one of Bruce's pepper grinders and after a couple of years sitting on the side of the range, the cherry still glows like day one.
                        My only concern is the thing is top heavy, but I just have to be careful how I sit it down.
                        Jim
                        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Jim that is something I never considered. I will keep that in mind when I make taller ones.
                          Rolf

Comment

So happy to hear that! I guess his 6 days of finishing pay off. I keep trying to get him to do some tall ones with the grinder on top, but he just isn’t listening. Imagine that. Thank you Jim for the feedback and compliment.
                            Last edited by will8989; 06-17-2022, 08:21 AM.
                            Betty

Comment

Many years ago during a high school shop class, we were taught to apply a shellac and motor oil finish to the turnnig object. The shellac dries almost instantly and produces a very smooth finish. I have a mohagany bowel some where in our house that I made during the class, (65+ years ago) the fInish is still very good shape the last time I ran across it. Dip a lint free rag in the shellac and a few drops of oil is and appply while object is spinning, is all that is required. I post a picture when I locate bowel.
                              cwmagee
                              aka Fibber
                              Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X