Are you a thinker, over thinker or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a thinker, over thinker or

Just do it and fly by the seat of your pants like me? Bruce has been talking about getting a new lathe for YEARS. Not the $8000 one that is made to order but a midi (?) so he can do larger stuff. Told him we had to take RMD so get one. OMG! He has researched, read, compared, researched more since beginning of the month! Laguna, too many complaints about customer service, or lack there of. Jett is nice but…, Rikon now that seems to be really good. Then he’s not getting one. Well maybe I will get one. I think I’ll Wait. From the “just do it” me, I’m ordering the Rikon as he seemed to like that the most. Now, where do I order it from? Yes, we are complete opposites and life is interesting.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

I am a spontaneous buyer. Not as bad as when I was single with no responsibilities, but that was also a time when researching was not as easy as it is now. I also did not have a workshop space for many tools nor a need for them.
    Now as a homeowner and a very supportive wife I purchase what ever I want. We do discuss major purchases as a curtesy to each other.
    My lathe and Drill press and drum sander fall into that category as did My Hawk back in 2005. The annual Christmas sales from items made on the Hawk have paid for a significant portion of my tools.

I still want and need instant gratification and have trouble waiting for anything..

I am now out of room. That said with any purchase I know what I expect and want from a tool and do a fair amount of research.
    With my lathe, I had a Jet 1236 with a Reeves drive. the lowest speed was 550 to 3000. It was a good lathe but I wanted a true variable speed with NO belts but I also did not want a massive beast. I ended up buying the Nova DVR XP 16-24 (later added an extension ) I absolutely love it. The swing is big enough for any lathe project that I want to do. Smooth quiet and plenty powerful. NO BELTS. It sits on its own base and very heavy. I have since purchased the Nova Voyager Drill press another amazing machine.

We have a club member that owns a woodturning supply store. Several of our club members have really big lathes Robust, Powermatic all too big for me and my shop.
    I have not been impressed with some of Grizzlys quality and support.

The Woodturning Store

https://www.thewoodturningstore.com

As far as where to order from I found free delivery for each of my large and heavy purchases.
    Last edited by Rolf; 01-29-2022, 09:55 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

At my stage in life, it is called spending the kid's inheritance. The older I get the easier it is becoming.
      Last edited by NC Scroller; 01-29-2022, 08:17 AM.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Now that you mention it Rolf, he just said something about a Nova! Woodcraft doesn’t have the Rikon in stock but it is free delivery to the store, which isn’t too far from us. Next week, he will still be deciding.
        Scott, I’m with you. Sure is easy, and fun, spending their inheritance. Stay tuned for this big decision update.

update: told Bruce if he didn’t make up his mind by next week, I was spending it! Pegas saw maybe?
        Last edited by will8989; 01-28-2022, 07:19 PM.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I bought a few new pieces of equipment last year. I researched the tar out of them. Kept putting it off. Debating. Convincing myself they were pure "wants", and definitely not needs. I got impulsive and then ordered a couple of things. Nearly cancelled the orders too, since they were delayed because of pandemic supply shortages. When they came and I played with my new toys, I was soooo delighted at how much easier life was. My new planer was to replace an old one that never worked right from day one. I got a SawStop, and oh my gosh....I no longer pawn off sawing down wood onto my begrudging hubby and geez I love having an accurate fence (if I'd have known just what a huge difference it would have made, I would've justified this purchase years sooner). And, while I was bored I bought a laser to engrave the backs of intarsia pieces much more professionally and do a few other niceties---this was 100% a "want" item but it does open some other creative avenues. Why do we doubt ourselves so much? After 20+ years of scrolling and all the experience of people on this forum answering questions, I should just go with the gut and stop second guessing. If the brain keeps circling back to something, there must be something there worth investigating. Gotta love it! Have fun with that lathe we know you want, and could definitely use!
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

i always research, read reviews, living on SS Income and paying rent, there's very little spending money. The only way I get money to buy things, is selling something I already own. I can't take a chance of buying something and being unhappy with it.

Comment

I guess I’m just impulsive. Had I thought like Bruce, I would never had bought my brand new ‘69 cougar I saw in the showroom when I drove by it, went in and bought. Or the panther snowmobile a few months later. Didn’t know I needed one until I saw it. Living in the Poconos I got a lot of fun out of it. I bought my first Sears scrollsaw when I saw it in a store. Came home, asked what it was and what did it do and bought it next day. Or all the other impulsive things I’ve done. Like I said, complete opposites. I just wish Dad was here to see his granddaughter is just like me. Boy is he laughing! I just want Bruce to get the lathe.
              Betty

Comment

I truly get that not everyone has extra cash. Been there and done that. I know I am blessed too no longer be there. Not rich by any stretch. But having been there, I weigh most everything. Yes, I will drop $20, $30, $40, $50 on an impulse but bigger items, even those I really need takes many hours of self-debate.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Just bought a King 30n, Scroll saw. to go along with my 788.

Comment

Linda, I still have the Delta Contractors saw that I bought just after buying our current house. The Unifence it came with was decent and it was perfect for the house renovations that I was doing. I always wanted a biesemeyer fence but based on my research their quality has diminished. I ended up buying a Vega Fence and properly "tuned" my table saw. Unbelievable difference! I also bought a Kreg miter gauge as all of the factory miters don't impress me.

Rolf

Comment

Been there done that Scott. I was home for 13 years with the kids and they went to Catholic school! We were always fortunate Bruce had good jobs with great insurance. And we were super blessed with our last selling season. But like you we worked hard for what we have. Grandkids will be taken care of. But you know, I’ve always wanted a Jaguar…..
                      Betty

Comment

Many hours of scrolling history here, and much knowledge of tools. And we definitely appreciate the good ones, and try to take care of them for a long use life.
                        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

And the winner is - last night was the Nova. This morning the Rikon! Sure glad I don’t take that long to make a decision. Stay tuned.
                          Betty

Comment

What model Rikon?

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                            Been there done that Scott. I was home for 13 years with the kids and they went to Catholic school! We were always fortunate Bruce had good jobs with great insurance. And we were super blessed with our last selling season. But like you we worked hard for what we have. Grandkids will be taken care of. But you know, I’ve always wanted a Jaguar…..
                            If you want that sports car you better get it while you can still get into and out of it. Having my car for 50 years this coming April I gets a bit more challenging getting in and even worse getting out. This is a picture from 2000 when I was putting my car back together. I was checking to see if my butt still fit in the seat. Test fit 2000.jpg
                            Rolf

Comment

The midi Rikon. He said the warranty is the reason. The Rikon has 5 year, the Nova 2 year. The reviews he thought were better from customer service remarks. I asked if he wanted a larger lathe he said he can go to the school in Annapolis and use any and all of the equipment for free since he belongs to Annapolis woodworkers. As we were coming home from dropping the van off this morning, he said he never wanted another car. Too hard to get in and out of! I can still get in and out easily. Who said he was going to be driving/riding in it?😂
                              Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Fall issue
                                by will8989
                                Now is the time for puzzles for me. Impulse buy. I make kids puzzles mostly out of poplar, Bruce’s “pay” from the sawmill and sell them for $10-$15. Will check it out. Waiting for my copy of the magazine.
                                Today, 08:58 AM
                              • will8989
                                And the beat goes on…
                                by will8989
                                Yesterday starts with my son very loudly coming in the front door, he’s 6’4” and doesn’t do anything quietly. “Mom call the gas company, I smell gas out front.” “Of course you do, it’s the pipe that vents gas outside. I’ve called them in the past, checked it out and working like it’s...
                                Today, 08:50 AM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Fall issue
                                by KarlB
                                Well I just looked under New Releases on Fox Chapels site and found the book. Under "preview" you can see a number of patterns just not all of them. I am glad they showed at least a few of them and I know why they would show them all. Maybe they could show however, really small images of...
                                Yesterday, 09:03 PM
                              • meflick
                                Reply to Fall issue
                                by meflick
                                Will look forward to getting my Fall issue. Well, if you already cut all those puzzles, you don’t really need that book now do you. 😏😉☺️
                                Yesterday, 08:08 PM
                              • mtwoodguy
                                Reply to Hello all, new here.
                                by mtwoodguy
                                Welcome! From Reno Nevada. It's nice that you have some metal working tools also.
                                Yesterday, 01:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X