• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim McDonald
    Sawdust Maker
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Jun 2008

Retired

I guess I am now a full time cutter. Thursday was my birthday and last day of formal employment.
    After my cardiac issues reminded me of my mortality, I decided after 50+years of working, sometimes multiples at the same time, it was time to consider myself.
    Kids are grown and self-sufficient, Becky is only teaching one more semester, so it was the right time.
    Already getting stuff in order to hit the saw hard when i can get back out on the patio.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.
  • NC Scroller
    • Nov 2006

Congrats. My last day of work was 12/31/2014. Retirement took a bit of getting used to, a couple months, but I can now say that retirement is the best career I have ever had. Stay busy my friend. It does help especially in the beginning.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

• will8989
      • Mar 2004

I took an involuntary early retirement when I was fired because he “didn’t like me.” After unemployment got finished with him, I was able to collect for a full year, take classes unemployment offered for the business end and never looked back. Hubby on the other hand felt like he needed to look for a job. After he got over that it’s been smooth sailing.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

• meflick
        Melanie
        • Aug 2009

Congratulations Jim. Enjoy your retirement.
        Melanie from East TN

Comment

• Linda In Phoenix
          Always learning
          • Jul 2013

Jim, does this mean your retirement will put the pressure on us? After all, you are going to have more time to make cool things---and we are all a bit competitive. Just a little. Some more than others. I look forward to seeing your great works of art!
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

• Rodney Brown
            Member - Level 2
            • Apr 2021

Congrats. I've still got another year and a half.

Comment

• Sandy Oaks
              Denny
              • Sep 2008

Congrats on the retirement. You deserve it. Now more time for scrolling.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

• jim_mex
                Retired troublemaker :)
                • Sep 2008

Many congratulations Jim as well as a belated happy birthday.

Enjoy your retirement and the fact that you now do not have an excuse to do all of those things you said you would accomplish once you retired! Just take your time and enjoy your leisure time.

Best wishes!
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

• wwalker47
                  • Nov 2004

Congrats! I retired in 2009 and never looked back. You’re right you need to keep busy and scroll sawing is the way to go. Long before I retired, I figured out that I needed something to do, so I took up the scroll saw and I do love it.

Just keep on sawing!

-Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

• Jim McDonald
                    Sawdust Maker
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Linda In Phoenix
                    Jim, does this mean your retirement will put the pressure on us? After all, you are going to have more time to make cool things---and we are all a bit competitive. Just a little. Some more than others. I look forward to seeing your great works of art!
                    Linda, I started getting sick in mid June--so I effectively lost half the year cutting. I had great plans for doing markets leading up to Christmas and missed that. I am going to try some 3d sign making as there is no one around here doing that. Trackman and I are about the only visible scrollers in this part of the state.
                    But for now, cleaning, cataloging and straightening come first.
                    Snow on the car this morning is pushing me into the planning mode.
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

• Rolf
                      The WoodMeister
                      • Apr 2005

Congratulations Jim, if you expect to have lots of time to do all of the things you want to do you will be surprised at how little time you actually have for the fun stuff. It is nice to not have any responsibilities other than family and self. No work related pressures. The main thing is to take care of yourself!! We want to see your creativity.

My wife retired Dec 2014, much to my surprise she adapted immediately. I went out Dec 2015 after asking to be put on a voluntary RIF list. My problem is I like to do different things all the time so lots of partially finished projects. I am making an effort to stay focused. LOL
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• Hobie1dog
                        Virgin saw user
                        • Dec 2021

hope you post lots of pictures of all your creations for us.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bradleyheathhays
                          Decorating Horse Farms (w/ pic)
                          by bradleyheathhays
                          Hey everybody. I'm in the heart of horse country here in Kentucky and I'm lucky enough to have some inroads to some prominent farms. Basically my buddies on these farms know I'm a woodworker and are saying 'show me what ya got.' Secret thing is...I don't really have that much (shhh). Recently I made...
                          Today, 03:49 PM
                        • Tlhausmann
                          Reply to Bad Bad Bad decisions: ShopSmith
                          by Tlhausmann
                          ] I have an idea for that and a preliminary drawing that will allow me to connect to my Festool vac but from the left side of the saw. It will be 3d printed if I ever finish it,

That would be cool to see...
                          Today, 03:41 PM
                        • Rolf
                          by Rolf
                          I have an idea for that and a preliminary drawing that will allow me to connect to my Festool vac but from the left side of the saw. It will be 3d printed if I ever finish it,...
                          Today, 03:28 PM
                        • hotshot
                          by hotshot
                          What I would like to see . . . instead of a bunch of copy cats, is to see companies innovate. Pegas, Jet, and Seyco did do this some. If I were King or the others, I would be coming up with a dust collection mechanisms that didn't use that membrane.
                          Today, 03:21 PM
                        • Sandy Oaks
                          ArtCrafters Scroll Saw - Loyalty Program
                          by Sandy Oaks
                          I am not sure where to post this, but here goes. I started a Loyalty Program - When you log in, you will become a site member and receive 25 points. Each 10 points worth $1 towards purchase. Go to: https://www.artcraftersonline.com/
                          Today, 01:23 PM
                        Working...