An unusual use for my Dewalt Multitool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An unusual use for my Dewalt Multitool

Hi folks - Today I celebrated 4 1/2 weeks with a plaster cast on my leftarm following fracturing my lower arm bones just above the wrist and was scheduled for a revision by the traumatologist at our local Social Security hospital. Before the appointment I called at a private clinic to get an xray of the disaster area and although I'm definitely not a doctor to my untrained eye the fracture areas seem to looking pretty good.

Much to my surprise after only a few minutes in the hospital I was seen by the doctor. I guess I have an advantage of being a foreigner in a hospital mainly full of local Mexicans because as Norma and I walked past the open door to his consulting room the doctor spotted me and called me in. After looking at the xray he asked me a few questions about how I felt and was I suffering any discomfort. I told him that over the past week my previous discomfort had reduced significantly and I was anxious to get rid of the cast using the excuse that I had great difficulty taking out, washing and putting back my false eye one-handed each morning and night. That made him fall about laughing! Ok he said. The plaster cast can be removed. I fuly expected him to remove the cast but instead he told us that this could be done at home using an hacksaw blade and a pair of scissors! I guess the SS system here in Mexico is short of resources! After a few more words of wisdom about how I should use physiotheraphy to get my fingers, hand and wrist back into good working order we said thanks and left him and the hospital behind us with me feeling very relieved to get rid of said cast..

On the way home Norma told me she would remove the cast. I didn't fancythat idea because I was the one who would suffer pain if she got over-enthusiastic with a hacksaw blade!

When we got back home Norma told me she had to finish some office work on her computer so once she settled down in her office I snuck out to my shed. I gave the hacksaw blade method a try for about 5 minutes and wasn't making much progress so seeing my Dewalt Multitool hanging on the wall in front of my work bench I grabbed it and fitted it with a fine metal cutting blade and set about cutting through the cast. After about 15 mins of very careful cutting and with the help of a pair of tin snips I finally removed the cast and breathed a large sigh of relief.

The area around my wrist is still swollen and badly bruised and I have to be careful just how I move it around so as not to cause pain but now that I can start applying physiotherapy at home I'm hopeful that I should soon get back to something resembling normality.

On another very positive side, I did get to step into my workshop today for the first time in just over a month and use some tools!

Cheers!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 11-12-2021, 09:26 AM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Jim only you!!! Glad you are healing well. Be safe.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Had tears from laughing just picturing the whole “event”. Is Norma going to leave you alone anymore? Be careful.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Is Norma going to leave you alone anymore?
        I doubt it Betty - but the good news is that after working online from home for the past 18 months due to Covid-19 restrictions Norma has now returned to office based work at the University. This will give me free reign to carry out 'unapproved' activities during her absence, but rest assured, I aim to try my best to stay out of further trouble!
        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim,

As a fellow myopian, I give you credit for the self determination to remove the cast yourself. I doubt I would have attempted such a feat. My severe depth of perception issue would have caused me undue pain and another visit ti the emergency room in the process.

Good luck with the continued healing and "stay safe".
          cwmagee
          aka Fibber
          Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

I give you credit for the self determination to remove the cast yourself.
            Thanks Fibber - cutting the cast was quite easy despite suffering the same depth of vision issue as you. Before applying the plaster soaked bandage layers the doctor first applied several wraps of a paper like material and by holding the Multitool blade vertical to the cast and using slow speed and light pressure I could sense when I broke through the plaster layer and just touched the paper layer. I made two parallel cuts about 2 " apart all the way up the cast from my hand to above the elbow and then I used a combination of tin snips to cut through the paper layer and a pair of pliers to nibble away the cut material a couple of inches at a time. Not exactly rocket science but the means justified the end and another challenge defeated!
            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post

I doubt it Betty - but the good news is that after working online from home for the past 18 months due to Covid-19 restrictions Norma has now returned to office based work at the University. This will give me free reign to carry out 'unapproved' activities during her absence, but rest assured, I aim to try my best to stay out of further trouble!
              Leaving you time for "unapproved activities" is the equivalent of a Southern boy proclaiming "Hey y'all--watch this".

It's how YouTube videos get viral! 😁😁😁😁
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Jim you should write a book, people pay big my money for stand up comedy, RJ
                Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

You all never cease to amaze me.! Thanks for once again putting a smile on my face..
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X