Chisel an Gouge sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisel an Gouge sharpening

I am currently enrolled in a beginner wood carving class so I know very little about correct sharpening techniques. I want to know if it is best to push or pull a chisel acroos a honing block to sharpen it. Simple question hopefully. Thanks to whoever answers.

Re: Chisel an Gouge sharpening

PUSH MAN PUSH! seriously though, you push on a stone and pull on a strop.
    I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Comment

There's lots of help at your library. Look for books by Rick Butz or Chris Pye. Woodcraft stores have clinics that teach sharpening, as do other stores, and carving groups and clubs.

Comment

Lorax has that about right, but I learned one trick from an old barber friend of mine; when you strop, don't roll the blade over the sharp edge. Smart barbers, and I'd guess informed carvers, will roll the blade over the BACK. Takes a little practice to get used to, but once you do, you will never again run a blunt edge onto your blade while stropping.

Al

Comment

Thy these web sites:
          http://www.oldjoe.org/ToolSharpening...SHARPENING.HTM

Don't get discouraged. It takes practice.
          May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

Millhoused - Would that be a picture of Tux?

Comment

Yes it is. Very perceptive I am an IT professional who likes to carve.
              May the Lord Bless You and Yours,&&Don&&

Comment

Just curious ,was a communications eng. up till I retired in 83 xxx turned all the computers off at that time and picked up a used box two years ago that had mandrake on it and haven't seen any need to change anything yet.

Comment

I think that you should ask your instructor why they didn't teach sharpening techniques first.
                  Makes me wonder if they taught you about safety equipment and safe carving procedures. If not please do yourself a favor and learn these things before you seriously injure yourself. I'm not trying to scare you ( on second thought I guess I am) but a visit to the emergency room to get a first hand lesson on how to sew up really deep cuts because of improperly sharpened tools or lack of safe work habits is NOT a good way to BEGIN carving!
                  grumpy560

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X