X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will8989
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Mar 2004

I don't even know what to say

I get up early this morning, thinking I was going to get an early start working. I click on facebook on our local information: Shots Fired Avoid The Area. High School on lockdown. This school is on same campus as my grandson's elementary school. The high school, middle school and elementary school have been on lockdown since 11ish this morning. Helicopters flying all over the area, even over my son's house. She's home alone freaking out. I think every cop in the county was at the schools. It has been very nerve wracking to say the least. His mother talked to the school and said they were proceeding as usual for instruction, but if anything was threatening the kids would be taken into the hall for safety. Yes there were police and guards in the schools. Police will remain for school dismissal. Ready for this? it was a dumb*ss kid shooting at "critters." The schools are in a very wooded area. They still don't know what the firearm used was. Seriously, you're going to go around 3 schools shooting at animals? What idiot in their right mind would do that. And people want to disband the police and do away with SROs at schools. This is one reason why you don't. Not much derails me but this did. Well, I'm back on the rails and now heading to get some stuff done, 4 hours later.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital
  • Jim McDonald
    Sawdust Maker
    • Jun 2008

Since it is now 7 hours later, and I haven't seen any coverage, I am assuming there was a peaceful explanation and end to this.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

• will8989
      • Mar 2004

Yes. They have the kid but aren’t saying much as he is 14! He skipped school to go “critter” hunting. A lady saw him near the school with a fun and called police. The kids were inside all day yesterday as the “lawnmower people were cutting grass.” That’s what the younger kids were told. If any of the kids saw the news, I wonder how parents were going to explain a picture of 4 swat cops walking in their stance along the side of a school with rifles drawn. All Elliott knew is he had a good day in school and mom took him to get a milkshake as a special treat! I can’t imagine being the parent of that boy getting that call from th police. Hope today is dramaless.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

• Rolf
        The WoodMeister
        • Apr 2005

S__t for brains. The parents will probably say What's the big deal he was just having some fun.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• handibunny
          Carole
          • Aug 2006

What Rolf said. Wouldn't it be great if you could fix stupid with duct tape?
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

• Linda In Phoenix
            Always learning
            • Jul 2013

So many things wrong with that situation! First off, that kid should've been in class learning something other then critter hunting....like physics and geometry that abstractly teach force, speed, trajectory.....and heaven forbid the ricochet bullet possibilities. Maybe real life concepts would help the kids learn that 'innocent' fun and sport can take undesirable turns. And those parents need some lessons too. Thank goodness everyone came out of it unharmed. Defund police? So we can turn into Afghanistan type control and cartel type turf wars of the biggest bully is boss? If everyone could behave and get along, maybe. I'm quite grateful for the damper our police put on our problem people---and especially the stupid idjuts too.
            Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

• NC Scroller
              • Nov 2006

So sad and sorry your family had to live through this. The world and people in general have gone nuts.

Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

• Bill Wilson
                • Jun 2006

So glad there was a peaceful resolution to this. When I first started reading the post, my stomach knotted up a bit. Thankful that no harm was done.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

• millwab
                  • Sep 2005

Betty, so glad that was all it was. We had the misfortune some years back of a student shooting in our high school. The net result was 2 students dead and one in a wheelchair for life. The kid that did the shooting had zero remorse. Even had the audacity to write "killer" on his undershirt with a marker and then open his shirt to show it during court 😱. Some things you just can’t logically explain.
                  Bruce
                  . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
                  visit sometime
                  Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

• will8989
                    • Mar 2004

Story keeps changing. Now he was 18 and it was an air gun he had in his possession. No charges. The upside is, if there is one, school was surrounded by county police within minutes. One picture showed a SWAT team doing a perimeter walk around the school, Locked, loaded and ready. My grandson knew nothing about what was happening. Our county is one of the few that kept the SRO in schools. Hope this is a more peaceful week.
                    Betty

Comment

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Always learning
                      • Jul 2013

Betty despite the story morphing a bit, an air gun in the wrong hands can still cause bodily injury....and from a distance and a glance it's not easy to discern the difference. So glad authorities were called and everything handled well. By the sounds of it the kiddos don't have much to tell story wise--but give it a few years and their stories will change too! My hubby still tells whoppers about the one that got away, and that one just keeps getting more impressive each year!

Comment

• Rolf
                        The WoodMeister
                        • Apr 2005

It should not matter what the weapon was, he had one on school grounds and if he is 18 he really is old enough to know better.
                        I have 2 air rifles and one CO2 pistol. They are not toys and , don't look like toys.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• will8989
                          • Mar 2004

The woman who talked with him immediately called the police and their response was instant. That’s why swat was called as they didn’t know what kind of gun and no chances were taken. The kids in the elementary school will only know what they are told and see on TV.My son doesn’t have any news stations on and we don’t show the news when Elliott is here. His only concern is/was Elsa and Lola, the girls who sit on either side of him in school! Linda, is that fish bigger than a dolphin yet? 🐬🐳
                          Betty

Comment

• Linda In Phoenix
                            Always learning
                            • Jul 2013

Orca size of course

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse