Tribute to a friend and fellow scroller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute to a friend and fellow scroller

I'm sharing this on a some of the woodworking/scrolling forums I participate in.

just want to take this opportunity to acknowledge the passing of a dear friend of mine.

Jack Mogle went to his eternal reward this past Saturday. He was 92 years old and as fine a gentleman as I have ever known. I first met Jack in 2005, when I joined a local scroll saw club. I was the youngest person in attendance, by a substantial amount, and just a little intimidated by this group of old guys who could scroll circles around me. Jack & I quickly became friends, despite the disparity in our ages. We discovered a connection from our past. Jack was a history teacher and guidance counselor for a school district that neighbored the one I had attended. He knew several of the staff from my high school and liked to regale me with stories about them. When I would arrive for a club meeting or event, I always looked for Jack first.

Jack was also a veteran, serving in both the Marine Corps and the Army, during the years immediately after WWII. He was an excellent scroller and loved sharing his woodwork and knowledge with anyone who would appreciate it, which, in one way or another, amounted to just about everyone he knew. You just couldn't help but like the man. He had that sort of way about him, a kind and gentle soul.

When I met Jack, it had been less than a two years since my own Dad had suddenly passed away at the age of 70. I suppose he represented something of a father figure to me. He certainly filled a void in my life at that time.

So, Rest in Peace faithful friend and mentor. I'll miss your stories, your advice and your friendship, but will always cherish the memories. It was an honor to know you.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

So sorry for your loss. Jack sounds like an exceptional man.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend, mentor, and father figure. We can all use those in our lives no matter our age. I’m so glad you got to know and cherish your time with Jack. He sounds like an an amazing man who lived a long and fulfilling life and who will be missed by many.
      Melanie from East TN

Comment

Bill, my condolences to you and the void that is left by his passing. May you always feel his words of friendship and guidance whenever you think of him. He sounds like an inspiration.
        Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X