Falling flat on my face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling flat on my face

Had to share because Jim and Betty really have had a series of bad stuff off and on--so I don't want them to feel alone.

For the past 8 weeks I've been rehabbing a strained tendon in my leg (between the hip and knee). Finally got the popping to stop, and only have minor problems with the meniscus that also was injured. But, after putting off a trip scheduled just as covid started and being fully vaccinated, I dared vacation.

I went to Orlando with the family for 4 days of beach and SeaWorld. Next to last day I went on a walk with my sister around a man-made lake in downtown Orlando--on a nice smooth sidewalk. The lake was on our left and we were chatting up a storm and watching a duck family waddle up the bank. Low and behold what I didn't notice was that we had actually come up on some temporary fencing along the right side of the sidewalk. Does Florida take precautions like safety tape or cones for the legs of the temporary fencing that they had sitting on the edge of the sidewalk? OH HECK NO!

I tripped on one and with momentum flew face first onto the sidewalk. Skinned left knee (yes the one with the meniscus issue), and left hand. Jammed the thumb on right hand. Whiplash neck. Luckily those things actually broke my fall. The worst injury (which could've been far worse) was the blood gushing from my face. I'd broken my nose.

I stayed belly down on the pavement but shifted my head to hang over into the grass next to the fence as the blood streamed out. Passerby people asked if they could help and everyone was offering to call 911. My sister was my buffer til I could gather my senses. It seemed like forever, but after about 3 minutes it was down to a steady drip. No tissues in our possession, so sister pulled out our Covid face masks and I used them to catch everything with one hand while using the other hand to pinch the bridge of my nose. Walked like that for 4 blocks back to the hotel we were staying at. Even homeless people offered to help me. Wow.

Luckily I had an ice bag at the hotel for my knee, which became multi-purpose real fast. Spent the rest of that day holed up in the room trying to make the best of a great sister and good conversation joking that at least my nose wasn't crooked.

It's been 4 days now. My nose is still swollen, and periodically I can breath through one side or the other. So it was only a minor break. But boy do I have a black eye in the works to show for it. By the way---somehow my knee isn't any worse then it was before the fall (that is what I am most grateful for).

And that my friends is how NOT to end your vacation! 😅
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

Comment

Well I am not going to "like" your post. I am glad that you didn't do more damage and are on the mend. And lets not try to compete with Betty.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Are you still in Florida? I’m glad it wasn’t more serious and you’re on the mend. Did you ever read the cartoon fb post about tripping on air? Every time it pops up all my nieces post “yep, that’s me”.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

I will join Rolf in not hitting the like button due to the content.
          But, I will offer my sincerest wishes for a full and fast recovery. Just think, 30 years ago, we ALL would have bounced back up and acted like nothing happened.
          The years have a way of forcing us to evaluate our injuries while still on the ground instead of later when we are alone and nobody can see us wince.
          Jim
          When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
          Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Linda, I’m sorry to hear of the troubling end to your vacation. I pray you heal quickly and didn’t do more damage then you believe to anything.
            Melanie from East TN

Comment

OUCH... Just be thankful it was no worse.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Not much I can add to what's already been said, except to wish you a full and speedy recovery, and a better ending to the next vacation!
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh my, Linda. What an episode. Hope you are on the mend.
                  Denny
                  ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Thank you everyone. Got back home Tuesday, and inlaws arrived Wednesday for a 2 week visit. I'm stiff and sore and trying to find humor is the point I'm at. It's all good. I'll heal and I appreciate all of your support. Our group seems to be getting illnesses and injuries out of the way---so we can be ready for scrollsaw demands in the coming months--after we heal up! We will get there together! Take care everyone, and stay healthy if you can!
                    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Bummer! Sorry to hrear about your problem. Hope you get well soon.
                      "Time to Give Back"

Comment

What rotten luck Linda .... I imagine that it is really good to be home again. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X