My computer issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer issues.

Thank you all for trying to help me with this problem.

I finally gave up! bought a new hard drive new copy windows 10, MS office 365. Then spent lots of time reinstalling all of my programs. All of my files and data were backed up so I didn't loose any of the important stuff. I sent e-mails all of my design and other programs as my download time windows had long expired. Without exception they all sent me a time extension and the software keys. So now I have a fresh faster machine.

Now back to the original problem that started this all. My inability to access "thewoodturningstore" web site. that has not changed. So I took my tablet to the library and ordered my stuff using their network.

When I got home I went into my tablets network settings and changed the DNS to googles 8.8.8.8. Much to my surprise I can now log in to that site from home on my tablet. Not messing with any settings on my desktop. So it was an external DNS issue.

By the way all of this stuff is way over my head. Thank goodness for the Web that gives guidance.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

So glad you are back up and running. You will be awed by the speed of your new drive, fresh drivers, and cleaned up files. Spring housecleaning!
    Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Glad things worked out.

I just updated my older PC. The hard drive was 500 gb and eight years old. I cloned it to a one TB SSD (solid state drive). Put the cloned drive in and worked perfectly with all my old programs. The computer is now much faster. The new drive was about $100 and well worth it.

Comment

WOW! Everyone is way above my head when it comes to computer. Mine is 10 years old. Time for a new one.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
          WOW! Everyone is way above my head when it comes to computer. Mine is 10 years old. Time for a new one.
          If you buy a new computer you want to get a solid state hard drive. No moving parts to break or wear out.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Actually, I think mine is more than 10 years old. And what brand would that be? Remember who you’re talking to here about computers.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

One problem with upgrading was that many of the programs I use are now subscription based. That really frosts my butt I finally accepted the fact that I normally renew my software frequently anyway the cost difference is negligible.

I did not go with a solid state drive, probably should have. I put one In Junes laptop.

The main thing with any computer is to have a complete backup of all your files and data.
              Rolf

Comment

I upgraded back in early winter. I got one with both a solid state as well as hard drive. I couldn't move over my Office 2010 because I'd bought it as a download (which was still functioning just fine for what I used it for) and I never switched it to subscription because of the cost. The old download license link insisted I pay for upgrade to a subscription because my "version no longer supported".

I kept my old computer even though it was barely alive simply due to one particular program...Picassa by Google...which they removed from the market years ago. It worked like a combo photo and editing program but easier. It could take a photo and change it to a line drawing beautifully in one click, and change copies of any pattern lines from any color to any color in one click....Like black lines to easier to see red (to contrast with the blade) and background ink wasters (picture gray changing to white). It was just faster and easier than Inkscape or the others, and it was free too! I learned to do alot in Inkscape, Photo Shop, and Affinity....but Picassa could do it with fewer mouse clicks and less cross platform fidgeting to get desired results.

Ok--so here's an unexpected complication. I've done my taxes for years in Turbotax. For that it was always cheaper to buy the software on sale each year on disk, rather than to do the downloads. I kept those disks thank goodness. I was doing my taxes this year and needed to reference a worksheet within Turbotax from several years ago---not just the actual tax return. When I tried to open the tax file from my backup, it wouldn't do it using the current version of Turbotax. They've upgraded multiple times and changed coding majorly. It insisted I needed to reinstall that particular year's Turbotax software to open and view the data for that year. If I hadn't kept those old disks I would've been toast. Somehow I didn't realize you couldn't always open old files on newer versions of software. But it makes since on financial software due to increased encryption protocols for security etc.

My old computer finally completely died, so it is now at the computer recycle place. Thank goodness I caught the signs before it totally croaked. It had several hardware problems that made it more expensive to repair than replace sadly.

Rolf you started this with your "frosts my butt" 😡 subscription comment. I totally agree with you. Thank you for putting up with my venting. I feel better knowing someone else understands the pain 😃

Comment

What are signs of a dying computer? Mine is just slow. My tablet on the other hand won’t upload the latest update. I think it’s full. I’ve had it for 6 years. Bruce said to buy a new one, he’ll reset this I’ll dump my stuff and he can use it. I might take him up on that.
                  Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                    What are signs of a dying computer? Mine is just slow. My tablet on the other hand won’t upload the latest update. I think it’s full. I’ve had it for 6 years. Bruce said to buy a new one, he’ll reset this I’ll dump my stuff and he can use it. I might take him up on that.
                    First thing to try is search for a program called "defrag". Run the program and let it analyze your drive. Run the defrag if recommended.
                    When a file is updated, older operating systems would put the new data fragment in a different place than the original. Next time you want that file, the hard drive is looking in two places to piece the file back together.
                    Running the defrag will get the data into contiguous sectors, making retrieval a bit faster. It "defragments" the data.
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Betty, if your computer's slow definitely just defrag it (look in Windows or your anti-virus program on your computer). You can always do a Windows re-install too (keeping your files), which will clean up windows.

Signs for me of the laptop hardware actually failing: hard drive would sometimes spin and spin but not get the data, damaged sectors on the hard drive, you could hear it stop and start, serious overheating issues, and the charger cord would only work if held just a certain way----nutshell double check was checking my windows device manager for hardware issues---and the finale I took it in to a Data Doctors store and they did a complimentary diagnostics scan and said no malware or viruses, but the hardware would cost more to fix than to replace.

Now the tablet--I have an iPad Pro and dearly love it. You're probably right that yours is full of stuff....6 years worth! Take Bruce up on his offer and get a new one with more storage space on it. Go for it!!!

Comment

There is a free software package by GLARY Utilities by glarysoft that our local computer club uses to clean junk off do hard drives and defrag. They recommend running it monthly. You should also check for malware which most antivirus software does not prevent.

https://www.glarysoft.com/
                        Scott
                        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Buy an apple and keep the computer dr away, RJ
                          Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Linda,
                            Quote, I kept my old computer even though it was barely alive simply due to one particular program...Picassa by Google...which they removed from the market years ago. It worked like a combo photo and editing program but easier. It could take a photo and change it to a line drawing beautifully in one click, and change copies of any pattern lines from any color to any color in one click....Like black lines to easier to see red (to contrast with the blade) and background ink wasters (picture gray changing to white). It was just faster and easier than Inkscape or the others, and it was free too! I learned to do alot in Inkscape, Photo Shop, and Affinity....but Picassa could do it with fewer mouse clicks and less cross platform fidgeting to get desired results.

I agree with you about Picassa, June loved and would spend a lot of time with the facial recognition part of it. The last time we bought a new laptop for her I managed to get a Picassa copy that I could re-install on her computer. I have it on a thumb drive and will try installing it on my current computer. The facial recognition tool was amazing.
                            But first I will try just copying the Picassa directory from my old drive to the new one. to see if that works.
                            Rolf

Comment

Rolf, if your Picassa file works I want it!!! They cram so much into newer programs that it just complicates things and takes away intuitive stuff. Thank you for checking!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Tough Decisions
                                by will8989
                                Scott, I was referring to her pms to Bill Wilson and Quartz. They posted her reply by pms instead of on here.
                                Would be nice Quartz. I asked got Bob to put the issue next tp patterns and he said something about real estate. He found a way to do it and didn’t lose any real estate. Guess they don’t...
                                Today, 10:57 AM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to Tough Decisions
                                by Quartz43
                                I would be pleased if FC at least did a trial of printing A pattern on regular sized text and also providing a scale up factor. Their resistance to do anything if a real pain. It was a similar lack of action with the website that resulted in lost viewers.
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Tough Decisions
                                by NC Scroller
                                I think Kelly did that because I wrote a letter to the editor complaining about an article in the last addition. It was the article about staying connected online and it didn't mention the FC forum....
                                Today, 06:36 AM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to Demo display
                                by hotshot
                                The fastest I've ever seen one of those 3d deer cuts was by Rick Hutcheson. That man was super fast when we was working the shows.

Here he is much more recently, and a bit slower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPDY6M-Lv8

Here is the pattern on Ricks' site: http://www....
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Woodgrain Worked Against Me
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Rodney you and your wife make a great team! Very nicely done sir.
                                Yesterday, 07:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X