Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back on the road after 15 months at home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on the road after 15 months at home!

Hi - After heading back to my home base in Mexico last March (2020) and unable to renew my work visa to return to the US due to Covid travel restrictions I've since been home based and enjoying a slightly earlier than planned retirement.

Surprisingly, after spending the past 35 plus years traveling all over the globe for work I've not been terribly itching to get back on the move again. The truth is my retirement to date has been pretty busy what with dealing with a major home remodeling exercise followed by building and equipping an extension to my previously cramped workshop. Nevertheless, as these two projects have almost come to an end and I'm now fully vaccinated against Covid I'm taking the opportunity to travel to the US this weekend to visit a good friend who lives in Simi Valley, CA.

Chris, my friend, has for the past 18 months been taking care of my BMW F800R motorbike I bought in the US for some weekend fun and relaxation. My plan is to hopefully sell the bike during my stay or if not transfer the title to Chris so that he can sell it for me at a later date.

I planned my trip to coincide with one our son Kevin is taking to LA a week after my arrival.. He'll be in LA for 6 days for some business but will have the last 3 days free. Not being one to miss out on an opportunity for some sightseeing and a little adventure I am going to pick him up and together we are going to drive to an area about 5 hours north of LA known as the Alabama Hills where we will overnight in the nearby small community of Lone Pine.

This area is famous for having some great scenery, especially of majestic peaks and strange rock formations, and in the past has been the setting for many movies, notably, but not exclusively, westerns.

Its been a good while since I've pulled my camera out of storage but this should be a great opportunity to do so. I'm also hoping that I will find some scenes which I can maybe translate into a couple of scrollsaw projects.

I'll post a few photos after we've made the trip and follow up with some scrollwork once I am back home.

Cheers!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 06-03-2021, 09:22 AM. Reason: text edit
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Safe travel, and as they say, “enjoy the ride”. Looking forward to hearing about the next great adventure!
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Be safe and get inspired during your travels!
      Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Thanks ladies!
        I'll try not to disappoint
        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes, be safe, Jim. Enjoy the time. Waiting for your wonderful tales.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Safe travels. I miss your beautiful pictures.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Jim when the travel bug takes you to points East please come see me. I know you have family in NC. I will be glad to host you for a couple days. I have lots of cold cerveza and other adult drinks plus saw dust and a small 35 mile pond at my back door.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hope you get to do everything you have planned. Sounds like a full agenda.
                Jim
                When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Today was a fun day. I had a 4 hr Alzheimer moment this morning when I couldn't find my previously expired Mexican passport which contains my tourist visa which I need to present along with my current passport to allow me to get into the US. In desperation I pulled out my UK passport - I have dual nationality - went online and applied for ESTA visa waiver status. It cost me 65 USD for an emergency response application and, lo and behold, about 4 hrs later I received approval to travel. Panic over!

Naturally, whilst prepacking my stuff this evening I bet you can guess what dropped out of an obscure side pocket of my backpack..... Yep, I now have 2 means of getting past US immigration and the second one doesn't involve wading across the Rio Grande!

Norma has been ribbing me all evening about this - Arghhhh!

Scott - I will definitely be heading your way sometime late summer and am really looking forward to meeting up with you and your wife, sharing some sawdust experiences and helping you deplete some of your alcoholic beverages store.

Cheers!
                  Last edited by jim_mex; 06-04-2021, 01:08 AM.
                  Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Friday morning and true to form - my travel plans in the past have often turned out to be convoluted and my upcoming trip to CA is no exception.

This morning Kevin received a call from Delta to say that his return flight from LAX has been cancelled. They gave him the choice of changing his whole flight to one anytime after mid July or giving him a full refund on the cost. Because he has a number of online courses whilst he is on the university summer break it wasn't convenient for him to take the revised dates option so he decided to take the money and called off his trip.

This has come as a disappointment to both of us as we wanted to spend some 'men' time together but we will sort something out once I get back to Mexico.

One positive for me ... as I now have no need to rent a car for a few days to make the trip with Kevin to the Alabama Hills I can instead travel there on my bike, save a ruck of money on the rental and gas and with no rush to get back to Simi Valley I'll no doubt be able to meander a little on the road to stop off at anywhere I see interesting on the way.

Looking forward to heading into the unknown!

Cheers!
                    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim,

Should you make a wrong turn and end up in New York, area you have lodging at our digs as well. Safe travels!
                      cwmagee
                      aka Fibber
                      Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Should you make a wrong turn and end up in New York, area you have lodging at our digs as well.
                        Hi Fibber - so, from Pachuca, Mexico to my sister-in-law's place in Rocky Mount, North Carolina is around 2,200 miles by road and New York is only another 460 miles further on and I don't need to make a wrong turn to get there. I just need to drive straight on north east.

So the big question is, do you have parking space for my bike?

Seriously, thanks for the offer and I would love to take you up on it. I'll keep you posted of my plans.
                        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Just north of Lone Pine is the site of a WWII internment camp named Manzanar. You might want to check it out when you are that close. Japanese families were taken from their homes and forced to live there just after Pearl Harbor. A sad part of WWII history.

Also from Lone Pine you can look West up the mountains and see Mt Whitney, the tallest mountainin the continental US,

I traveled that route (US 395) many times as a lad, from north of LA to Bishop to visit my aunt and uncle. Also just over the pass from LA you will pass Edwards AF Base where much aviation development takes place, It was also the backup landing field for the space shuttle. Nearby is a storage field for mothballed aircraft.

Have a great trip and plan for hot weather. Take lots of water!!!! It's easy to get dehydrated on that trip.

Virgil

Comment

Hi Virgil - thanks for the tips. I can see that I will be spending a little longer in the area than I originally thought! Really looking forward to this trip.
                            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

So, I got the bike ready yesterday to take it out for a small test run, the first chance I've had to ride it in just over 18 months, and can you believe it.... Here in the usually hot and sunny Simi Valley, CA, the morning started off very cool, gray and cloudy and now it's raining.

Ride postponed until tomorrow
                              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X