Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GladeFade
    replied
    Rolf: Glad it worked for the passwords. That is all I have really used it on, People have not mentioned they could not get into printers.
    Sometimes I find it necessary to go in and delete the old printer connection and then reinstall them. For the Microsoft programs I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    Glad you are making some progress Rolf. Slow, but definitely progress. So glad you can get to your programs and the files.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    GladeFade, I used the free version and it did allow me to go in as admin, but it would not let me unlock my local account. Spent $27 for the next version up. That did unlock my drive access. all of my programs and files are intact. But it does not see my networks, printers and won't let me run some of my Microsoft programs. so it continues.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Bruce's account for his Annapolis Woodworkers was hacked and an email sent out requesting gift card donations for veterans. The person "go to" person for the club told Bruce he had to change his password. Only problem, he uses the same password for just about everything!! That's why he doesn't have access to the important stuff on his tablet. I would be totally lost without my password book.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Without the support of this group I would be a heck of a lot more frustrated than I am. Fortunately I have a small notebook and my phone for e-mails and net searches . Gladefade I am creating the boot disk as I am typing this.

Leave a comment:

• Linda In Phoenix
    replied
    They say old age isn't for wooses--- but technology glitches can make old age seem easy compared to the glitches, capable of bringing a giant to his knees. My hubby messed up his PC so bad 2 years ago that I finally gave up and took it to Data Doctors. The resulting printout of all the malware he'd inadvertantly downloaded was many pages long. It was so bad they "educated" him thoroughly (to which he said to me "don't say I told you so whatever you do")...they salvaged his important files, scrubbed the system, reinstalled windows, and then I had to reinstall his other software(s). Hubby has been better since then about not opening weird emails and clicking on every popup, but the whole thing made him curse things I hadn't heard since his army days. 😜 Your painful experience brought it all back in a flash! I hope you get it fixed soon!

Leave a comment:

• GladeFade
    replied
    Here is another approach: To recover lost passwords I use Lazersoft free pw recovery software. Download it to a bootable usb stick.
    Then insert into problem pc and use the usb drive to startup.
    This software comes up and click on password recovery, follow the prompts and it will rest your password (or eliminate it)
    Here is a link to the software.
    https://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-re...uite-free.html

Use this a lot !!!!

Leave a comment:

• hotshot
    replied
    When I initially installed windows, my login was a "Microsoft account" login. If that was the case in your situation, and you don't have your Microsoft account credentials, you may be able to reset it here:

https://account.live.com/password/reset

I hope you get it figured out

-----Randy

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by Rolf View Post
    The problem as I stated above is that my login has been a pin number. That capability has been eliminated or disabled. I am now asked for a password that I have no record of. I am usually very careful about documenting all of my passwords evidently not this one.
    It is the windows login PW that eludes me.

So that is where I am at.
    F4 is the key on my computer that brings up the start menu.
    Did you try to power down by holding down the power button? When you power down like that it should take you out of safe mode.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    The problem as I stated above is that my login has been a pin number. That capability has been eliminated or disabled. I am now asked for a password that I have no record of. I am usually very careful about documenting all of my passwords evidently not this one.
    It is the windows login PW that eludes me.

So that is where I am at.
    F4 is the key on my computer that brings up the start menu.

Leave a comment:

• hotshot
    replied
    I'm with Scott on this one, I would power it off, and let it come back up normally. If that doesn't work, power back down, then while booting continually press F8, and that should take you to the boot menu
    Last edited by hotshot; 05-25-2021, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by Rolf View Post
    Well I just screwed myself! I put my desktop into safe mode, Now I can't log on. I have been using a pin number to get into my computer for years. I guess safe mode disabled that app.
    Did you power it down?

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Well I just screwed myself! I put my desktop into safe mode, Now I can't log on. I have been using a pin number to get into my computer for years. I guess safe mode disabled that app.

Leave a comment:

• keystonecop
    replied
    Well ..Thanks.. I fixed a lot of my internet problems after researching Rolfs initial post.. seem my isp have a slow dns server.. they should me how to switch everything to the google DNS servers.. wow ..major improvement.. may no fix the initial problem Rolf had, but works well for me.
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.

Leave a comment:

• hotshot
    replied
    Here is how you can easily get around this, click save, and it will prompt you for a location. Save that to your desktop, and like before, make sure to have quotes around "hosts". Then just copy and paste that back to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc" folder. You will get two prompts when you try to paste back in there:

first.JPG

second.JPG

You should be able to click continue, and it should do this for you.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X