A ? for the network gurus / wizards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ? for the network gurus / wizards.

A local friend owns a wood turning tool business. Whenever I try to log on to the website I get "This site can’t be reached" .
    I have tried with every device I own and my wife's laptop also with the same result.
    If I am out of the house on a different network It comes up just fine. So it has to be something related to my router? any suggestions.?

The good thing is that it is saving me money .

Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Rolf,

The site itself might be down rather than it being on your end. If you have contact info for your friend, let him know you can't reach it. He might not be aware if nobody told him.

Also, If you want to share the link here others of us can see if it is reachable.

Comment

Rolf, not sure how computer savvy you are, but if you know how to get to the command prompt, type ping www.WhatevertheSiteNameIs.com

If you get "pings" back, then you know DNS is working. DNS is like a phonebook for the internet, it converts the name of something to it's number. Behind the scenes, you computer reaches out to that number, kind of like you dialing a phone number. If your "Internet Phonebook" isn't working, and it can't resolve the name to the number, you can never get to the site.

Anyway, try pinging the name, and see what you get.
      "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Did you attempt to reboot the router? Normally that mean power down and remove the cable. Wait 90 seconds to 2 minutes then reattach the cable and finally power up. It must be done in that order.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

If this is the only site that he can't get to, I still think the website itself is down. If the problem was with his router he wouldn't be able to get to a lot of sites, including this one.

Edit: Somehow I missed the line about being able to call it up outside the house. It could be a firewall issue with the router. I've seen a web-site provider black listed because of one or two of the sites they host.
          Last edited by markdavd; 05-20-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Rolf, which site?

Comment

It is not the site, http://www.thewoodturningstore.com as this issue has been going on for a long time. I have had my friend Steve (the owner) trying to solve the mystery from his end.

Scott I have rebooted many times for a variety of reasons. This Modem is supplied by our local cable network Altis, the box is our WIFI , phone and TV It also acts as our pause, record and playback. I have tried working with their tech support, not very helpful.

Hotshot "Ping request could not find host http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/. Please check the name and try again."

The first ping failed
              I just pinged the site again and it was successful

Mark I thought it was my computer fire wall but this is a whole house issue two smart phones, 3 laptops and my desktop. They all go through the same modem.
              Last edited by Rolf; 05-21-2021, 08:39 AM.
              Rolf

Comment

Works fine on this end, but everything is big in Texas, RJ
                Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Rolf, the command should be:
                  ping www.thewoodturningstore.com

You should get 35.241.10.78 if you are able to resolve the site name, if not, then there is a problem related to DNS. If you get the number above, your issue is not DNS.

If you are not getting that number back, then I would bypass DNS completely by doing this:

Assuming you are on Windows, open notepad, then edit the host file at:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add this line at the bottom of that file:

35.241.10.78 www.thewoodturningstore.com

Then save. If you do this, when you try to go to that site, it will use this, instead of trying to get IP from DNS. Having a career in IT, I have done this many times over the years.

----Randy
                  Last edited by hotshot; 05-21-2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

works fine for me. could be a DNS issue.. somethings might have changed on the site.. here is a good article on how to fix it. http://net-informations.com/q/mis/reached.html I have seen this when sites move hosting sites etc...

edit almost forgot Kaspersky virus protection safe browser does things like "This site can’t be reached" pops up and then it might connect.. could be with a virus protection program..
                    Last edited by keystonecop; 05-21-2021, 01:04 PM.
                    The other John A. Nelson
                    johnsworkshop.com
                    sigpic
                    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
                    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

I get that alot "This site can't be reached" and in a few seconds it usually loads. Mostly on my tablet. Didn't know the reason but it probably is my Norton program. Thanks! learned something new today!.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Any chance your wife had the site blocked to keep you from spending money??

Comment

This is a bit out in left field but.... I was the treasurer of a local membership organization. Well when I first took it over I send our dues invoices to 80 members. Next thing I know I not can't send email to anyone on certain ISPs. I could not even reply back to emails sent to me. Well my wife, who sends out emails because she used to coordinate an exercise group can't send emails either. For the record our combined use did not exceed any limits. Problem is the same on laptop, phone, tablet..... Hours and hours and hours on the phone with my email service provider, my ISP and some network guru made us try countless things but nothing. Then one day by accident I reply to an email on my phone. It worked. What was different? I was in my long driveway just out of range of my wifi. Through a few more calls and a bit of my own research I learned that my cable modem has a fixed IP address. For some reason that no one could explain with any certainty that IP address ended up on a network blacklist. I went to the office of my cable provider, Time Warner, swapped modems and never had an issue after that. With that said, Rolf can you take your laptop, tablet, phone to a friends house and try to access through their modem? If it works then it is your home IP and that is a simple a fix as swapping the cable modem.
                          Scott
                          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks all,

Randy I went through the process, then had to go back in and give myself full admin permission for the file. Then notebook puts the .txt extension on it. found out if you put " on both ends it eliminates the extension. still not there yet.
                            Rolf

Comment

LOL, yep, notepad does that, and you are right, you put quotes around it, it saves it without the extension. Sounds like your are almost there.

After you do that, if you go back and ping www.thewoodturningstore.com, when you ping that site, it should give your the right IP.

You can also put an additional line in the host file so that it looks like this:

35.241.10.78. www.thewoodturningstore.com
                              35.241.10.78 thewoodturningstore.com

That will allow it to resolve for addresses with and without the "www" in them.

Last edited by hotshot; 05-22-2021, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to My computer issues.
                                by will8989
                                I clean it up and stuff regularly. If I do a lot of typing, spreadsheets, etc., I use the computer as it’s faster for me but take the tablet to shows and markets to post from there. I also use my rapid resizer program on the tablet when I want to change a pattern and am downstairs. I really need a...
                                Today, 11:16 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Rolf, if your Picassa file works I want it!!! They cram so much into newer programs that it just complicates things and takes away intuitive stuff. Thank you for checking!
                                Today, 05:55 PM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Linda,
                                Quote, I kept my old computer even though it was barely alive simply due to one particular program...Picassa by Google...which they removed from the market years ago. It worked like a combo photo and editing program but easier. It could take a photo and change it to a line drawing beautifully...
                                Today, 08:41 AM
                              • RJweb
                                by RJweb
                                Buy an apple and keep the computer dr away, RJ...
                                Today, 08:39 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New turning tools
                                by Rolf
                                Thanks for posting Carole, Depending on what other time consuming distractions I have I might just have to do a wavy bowl.
                                Also for reminding me that I have your books on my shelf for inspiration!!
                                This will also be the first time I use the Excalibur to cut the rings instead of fighting...
                                Today, 08:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X