Wooden Headstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Headstone

Here's an interesting one for everyone. Our club was contacted to assist with restoration of a WOODEN headstone. As the photo shows, it has some issues. My husband and I met with one of our other members, the step granddaughter and a local rabbi at the cemetery this morning. The headstone is at least 110 years old as the woman died in 1908. Amazingly, the headstone is not rotted. There are obvious issues but a plan is under development to get it looking better.
    Once we know there is a clean "template" of the carving (its Hebrew), we will dig out the headstone, scrap the paint off, and another member that often carves religious items will re-carve it. Another local artisan is making a new cover for the top out of copper. When ready, it will be returned to the ground with a proper ceremony lead by the rabbi. Up until today, we had no idea what the wood was - cedar. We don't know how far it is in the ground but it is the only headstone in the cemetery that is sitting upright - and likely the only one that is wood.
    I'll update you as the project progresses.
    Attached Files
    Barbara
    Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

That will be more than quite a chore
    Denny
    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

That is a mess! as long as you have the writing it can be duplicated.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I wonder if there is an older picture of that somewhere that has all the writing intact. I supposed if there is distinct carving under the text, it might not be too bad.
        Last edited by hotshot; 05-13-2021, 03:53 PM.
        "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

Back of UMC 1 (Small).jpg I re-created a couple of signs that are on the front of our Church. Totally rotted, fortunately the text was literally stuck to the glass and there was a historical paper copy of what was on them. In this case it did not need to be wood so I made the sign part on PVC and used a Cricut to create the vinyl lettering. I did repair and make new parts for the wooden frame. UMC 2 (Small).jpg UMC 1 (Small).jpg Parts of the frame crumbled when I took them down. Restoring that headstone should be a great project.
          Last edited by Rolf; 05-14-2021, 08:26 AM.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That certainly will be a challenge, Since the wood appears to be well preserved, it will interesting to identify the wood - cedar or locust ???
            cwmagee
            aka Fibber
            Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

I am stunned at the fact it wasn't rotted or termite destroyed. That must've been one blessed lady. Thank you for what you all are doing!
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

An update ... the wood is indeed cedar. The template of the original carving is done. We will be digging it out in early June after the granddaughter who started the process arrives to meet the team and see it. Some of the carving is intact underneath the paint. It is entirely possible that the paint was added at some point long after the carving was complete. The biggest challenge will be getting the marker out of the ground as it appears to be in concrete. Time will tell. Estimated completion is late August.
                Barbara
                Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X