Bruce at the sawmill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce at the sawmill

This video was taken where Bruce volunteers at the sawmill. Bruce is the tall one at the back of the saw.
    https://youtu.be/ffsJjR0Sc3c
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Thanks for the video, it reminds me of the saw mill at the Fox Chapel open houses. I loved all of those steam powered machines!
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The ones that keep up the mill are so brilliant. There isn’t a machine they can’t fix. A lot own antique tractors. I have to find the video of the log splitter one of them built. Their just grown men playing.
      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Reminds me of the sawmill the Homestake Mining Co used to cut trusses and braces for the shafts. Talking mid - late 1950's. We lived about 3/4 of a mile away. As kids we would sneak in through one of the many gaps in the fence and watch them cut the big logs.

Since my dad worked for the mine, before he died, Mom got free fire wood from the scrap.
        Tony

My Son-in-law said "Darnit, I cut this board twice, now. And it's still too short."

Comment

I would love to have something like that near me. I love that old machinery.
          "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

It’s part of open space donated by the Kinder family, 600 acres that need to be kept open space. They just put in a $1M playground for the kids right before COVID hit. It’s a working farm run by 4h groups. Kinder Farm Park, Anne Arundel co,MD. Those logs were cut for a project by the boy scouts..
            Betty

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
              The ones that keep up the mill are so brilliant. There isn’t a machine they can’t fix. A lot own antique tractors. I have to find the video of the log splitter one of them built. Their just grown men playing.
              Aren't we all just boys with bigger toys (and more expensive)
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

He’s there now playing with the toys! At least these toys the Park pays to fix when something breaks down except for the private owned tractors. They also have a shingle mill to make shingles for the buildings on the property. They supplied boards to build a barn with sides, which they also put together, and roof to store equipment. Of course, Bruce picks out some boards for me first. All the pasture fencing are boards they cut as well as boards to repair some of the walk bridges in other County Parks. They get a lot cut in 3 hours a week. Best part, Payment is free wood! “Unfortunately” the only dried wood they have in the shed is all cherry and some white oak. Will be checking it out before we go to Gruff & Gruff next week.
                Betty

Comment

Just watched the video and found it very interesting. Watching the wood approach the saw blade was just a bit scary. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I know but he is actually 6’ or more behind. It looks like the blade is heading right for him.
                    Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Reply to My computer issues.
                      by will8989
                      I clean it up and stuff regularly. If I do a lot of typing, spreadsheets, etc., I use the computer as it’s faster for me but take the tablet to shows and markets to post from there. I also use my rapid resizer program on the tablet when I want to change a pattern and am downstairs. I really need a...
                      Today, 11:16 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Rolf, if your Picassa file works I want it!!! They cram so much into newer programs that it just complicates things and takes away intuitive stuff. Thank you for checking!
                      Today, 05:55 PM
                    • Rolf
                      by Rolf
                      Linda,
                      Quote, I kept my old computer even though it was barely alive simply due to one particular program...Picassa by Google...which they removed from the market years ago. It worked like a combo photo and editing program but easier. It could take a photo and change it to a line drawing beautifully...
                      Today, 08:41 AM
                    • RJweb
                      by RJweb
                      Buy an apple and keep the computer dr away, RJ...
                      Today, 08:39 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to New turning tools
                      by Rolf
                      Thanks for posting Carole, Depending on what other time consuming distractions I have I might just have to do a wavy bowl.
                      Also for reminding me that I have your books on my shelf for inspiration!!
                      This will also be the first time I use the Excalibur to cut the rings instead of fighting...
                      Today, 08:27 AM
                    Working...
                    X