Having a Betty week UPDATED: See post 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a Betty week UPDATED: See post 13

My wife Jane had knee replacement surgery on Monday. All went well. Just long days leading up to it and running back in forth to the hospital and home to take care of our dog and two cats. Jane came home yesterday is is doing well. Last night about 9:30 went to get something out of the refrigerator only to find out it had stopped working. It had not been sounding right the last week or so but who time? It was 11 years old which is about normal for appliances made these days. The real issue is finding new one. Due to COVID and other factors there is a shortage of appliances. Many place they are out of stock or back ordered with long due dates. Long like 6 months or more. On the plus side I got to get rid of those packages of food you had totally forgotten about.
    Last edited by NC Scroller; 05-09-2021, 09:00 AM.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Good luck for your wife and hope she is feeling better, that sucks on the refrigerator, RJ
    Life Begins @ 190 MPH

Comment

Sorry to hear of your refrigerator troubles, but glad that Jane is doing well. Hope her recovery continues in that direction. Please send her our regards!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Did she get the ice machine to use on her knee? Bruce was sent home with one and he said it helped him the most with his shoulder. Of course, we went through a lot of ice for it. Speaking of which, the repairman was here Monday to fix our ice maker. He told us to get the extended warranty when it was offered when this one ran out. Tell her to take care and give her our wishes for a speedy recovery.
        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Be careful---soon she will be able to outrun you! Remember when fridges lasted for decades?! Glad she's doing well.
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Hi Scott - best wishes to Jane and I hope she is soon able to use the new knee to good effect and chase you around.

Ref the refri, we had a similar issue with ours last year after 12 years of good service. When the compressor starts to sound more like my motorbike you know it's time to replace it! A similar situation occurred with our washing machine a couple of months back and that also had to be replaced. I am sure that such machines these days are designed to fail after a certain period of time to keep the manufacturers in business.

Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quick update. We actually found a refrigerator that we liked and it was in stock. Lowe's delivered it on Saturday afternoon. Of course with all the moving around the needle value for the refrigerator water supply started to leak so this morning I had plumbing to do. Jane is making amazing progress. No more walker. She just uses a walking stick and inside the house she does not always us it. She is still moving slowly but walking up our long gravel driveway and down our street. About the only walking she can't do is hills. It is amazing how medical technology has advanced.
              Scott

Comment

Hi Scott - good to hear that you got sorted out with the fridge despite the additional plumbing work. It happens

I couldn't agree more with your comment regarding the medical technology advancement that Jane is experiencing. Although my last bout under the knife was only a partial knee replacement my doctor/surgeon was insistent that I start walking with assistance the day after the surgery and within 3 days I'd abandoned the walker for a cane. My 83 year old FIL who had a complete knee replacement just before Christmas was using a walker for about 8 days after which, albeit walking very gingerly, was able to use just a cane. Incredible!

I'm sure that you both have been well versed by your doctor to not overdo things but make sure that Jane takes very great care when beginning to climb steps or walk down ramps and use a cane or a railing for support. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Cheers!
                Last edited by jim_mex; 05-09-2021, 10:56 AM.
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

In 1985, I was working for an ambulance company that had a contract to transfer joint patients.
                  A knee job would have been six weeks in a hip to toe cast and hip replacement called for armpit to below knee.
                  Now, people are up walking in 12 to 36 hours.
                  Jim
                  When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                  Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McDonald View Post
                    In 1985, I was working for an ambulance company that had a contract to transfer joint patients.
                    A knee job would have been six weeks in a hip to toe cast and hip replacement called for armpit to below knee.
                    Now, people are up walking in 12 to 36 hours.
                    TBT.... They wheeled her down to surgery at 11:45. She was back in the room by 2:30. By 4:00 she was walking in the hall with two aids and a walker. By 5:00 she was walking in the hall with just the walker. One loop around the ortho wing was 200'. All patients where required to walk at least a mile before discharge but more was encouraged. One mile was 26 laps. PT at 24 hours post surgery required walking up and down 5 steps.
                    Scott

Comment

No more waiting for weeks to start therapy. The sooner you use the replacement the better. Bruce was doing mild hand exercises the day after his surgery and bending slightly at the elbow. They expected him in pt for at least 6-9 months. He stopped in February and is doing home therapy, like lifting the tree trunks into the back of the truck.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

What’s the latest update?
                        Betty

Comment

Thanks Betty for asking. Staples came out today. There are some internal stiches that will dissolve over time. Jane is still doing PT twice a week. The only normal activity, whatever she can tolerate, but she is not allowed to swim due to the risk of infection. She will still have to keep icing and elevate it as needed for the next month.
                          Scott

Comment

Glad to hear that. Slow and steady.
                            Betty

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to My computer issues.
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Rolf, if your Picassa file works I want it!!! They cram so much into newer programs that it just complicates things and takes away intuitive stuff. Thank you for checking!
                              Today, 05:55 PM
                            • Rolf
                              by Rolf
                              Linda,
                              Quote, I kept my old computer even though it was barely alive simply due to one particular program...Picassa by Google...which they removed from the market years ago. It worked like a combo photo and editing program but easier. It could take a photo and change it to a line drawing beautifully...
                              Today, 08:41 AM
                            • RJweb
                              by RJweb
                              Buy an apple and keep the computer dr away, RJ...
                              Today, 08:39 AM
                            • Rolf
                              Reply to New turning tools
                              by Rolf
                              Thanks for posting Carole, Depending on what other time consuming distractions I have I might just have to do a wavy bowl.
                              Also for reminding me that I have your books on my shelf for inspiration!!
                              This will also be the first time I use the Excalibur to cut the rings instead of fighting...
                              Today, 08:27 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              by NC Scroller
                              There is a free software package by GLARY Utilities by glarysoft that our local computer club uses to clean junk off do hard drives and defrag. They recommend running it monthly. You should also check for malware which most antivirus software does not prevent.

https://www.glarysoft....
                              Today, 07:57 AM
                            Working...
                            X