• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi Detail Carver

WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Re: Ryobi Detail Carver

:
    For a month I have tried to get a message posted-now I get two for the price of one????? Oh, well, maybe one of them will get me an answer.

jimb
    WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Boy, I sure don't know why they discontinued that model. I see alot of people trying to find them. You might keep an eye on eBay...I've seen them there before, but be prepared to pay a fairly high price compared to Ryobi's original price. There's also another company that sells a reciprocating woodcarver on eBay pretty frequently - it's Japanese, I believe, comes with no blades or readable instructions, but it does work about as well as a Ryobi - maybe a little faster. I got it for $20, so the price was definitely right. Just do a search on eBay for 'reciprocating' and scroll through all the reciprocating saws....there's usually one hidden in there most of the time. You can use Flexcut power carving blades in it - those can be purchased at Woodcraft.

I finally broke down and bought an Automach - yes, it's expensive, but it is definitely worth the prices - carves circles around Ryobi.

Anyway, hope something here helps.

Teri

Comment

A word of caution, I have heard several people over the last few months complaining that they can get no service or parts for these units and no response from the company regarding thier concerns. Seems strange that they discontinued the unit when it seems to be so popular. Also I have heard mention of a german made unit new to the market that seems to be making a good impression. Proxon I believe is the name, I saw it in a catalog (of course I don't remember which one) for ummm.... $75 or so : ? Less than $100 I think. I am just passing along info I have heard from others and have no connections with either company and no experience with either unit. Good luck.

Dave

Dave

Comment

That's true, Dave - re: the eBay reciprocating carver I was talking about, you WILL get NO response from the seller if you do have a problem....on the other hand, it was only $20. You get what you pay for, no doubt.

Teri

Comment

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

:-/ Hey folks-

Thanks for the input on the Ryobis. I think I will do a bit more research into something else, since there is a potential problem with service on them. I didn't want to get in the Automach price range, but it may be best in the long run. I took a look at the info on the proxxon, and it seems to be a quality tool, from all the specs I have read thus far.

I appreciate the help. The new gallery looks great! Makes me want to hide my stuff baack in the log pile. I'm not much at painting any of my carvings, since they are mostly Woodspirits and Native Americans. I kinda like the natural grain/tones of the wood. (I also hate to paint anything)Will get something on in a few days, maybe.

Again, muchas gracias for the info.

Wood is Wonderful

Jim
              WOOD IS WONDERFUL!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X