My humming birds - real ones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My humming birds - real ones!

Hi all - as my workshop extension progresses slowly those of you who have seen my previous post may have noticed in one of my photos a hummingbird feeder hanging from a lime bush just in front of where I am building my extension.

From dawn to dusk, every single day without fail this feeder is visited constantly by 3 hummingbirds which have nests in a large wall creeping plant covering the boundary wall of my next door neighbour's house. Norma replenishes this feeder every 3 or 4 days with a mixture of 1 part by volume of natural sugar to 4 parts of purified water - a recipe given by the North American Ornithological Society, and specifically a mixture without any artificial coloring.

These amazing creatures are so used to me working on the extension that provided that I don't make any sudden movements I can work as close as 3 to 4 feet to them whilst they are feeding without them flying off .

It hadn't occurred to me until today that I ought to take a few photos of them, especially on a sunny morning which really brings out their irridescent colors.

The photos I'm attaching are 'quick snaps' with the camera set on auto shutter speed and exposure and manual focussing and they seem to have come out reasonably well. Later on I want to take some more shots using high speed shutter settings and burst mode to see if I can get some really nice photos of them in flight. I also want to see if I can capture a couple of them together near the feeder. This is going to be a very difficult task because these birds are very territorial and if one humming bird senses another humming bird is close by it will immediately begin chattering loudly and chase off the intruder.

So, here are my first snaps to add a little colour to your day.

Cheers!
    Jim

hummer-01.jpg hummer-03.jpg hummer-02.jpg
    Last edited by jim_mex; 03-27-2021, 09:15 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the shots. They are better than you think. A notoriously difficult subject.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Thanks for the shots. They are better than you think. A notoriously difficult subject
      Thanks Jim! - it just occurred to me to check what settings my camera used for these shots. All were taken at ISO 200, f5.6 exposure and 1/320 sec shutter speed. That second shot of the hummer in flight, which I really like, shows just how slow that shutter speed was if I wanted to freeze the motion of the wings. Amazing creatures!
      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

A few years ago, I had an unusually thing happen to me with a humming bird, so I googled and found that this was not totally unusual: We had a single humming bird feeder hanging under a tree; we watched humming birds from our kitchen window - as the level of the water go down in the feeder to nothing in a week. I did not add any more due to being busy (but not too busy). I looked out from our kitchen window and watched a humming bird go up to the empty feeder and circle around it. Then it flew the 50 ft to the kitchen window - with me just behind the window. It hovered in front of the window, looks straight at me for about 10 - 15 seconds and flew back to the feeder. I got the message and added sugared water to the feeder. It immediately came back and began feeding.

As I wrote, I googled that event and found a few cases where others had the same experience.
        Last edited by leehljp; 03-27-2021, 07:38 PM.
        Hank Lee
        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

Comment

We will have two feeders hanging on the front porch. Not out yet as the hummers don’t show up until the middle of April. So fun to watch.
          Denny
          ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Those are excellent shots. We get the Ruby Throated Hummingbird but they have not arrived yet. They are as far north as Indianapolis.

I use the Journey North website to track the migration of them and Monarch butterflies.

Comment

Beautiful photography!
              Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Very pretty.
                I put out a feeder last year with no results. I'll have to try again this year.

Comment

The colors of the bird are incredible! Thanks for sharing your photographic skills.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post

Thanks Jim! - it just occurred to me to check what settings my camera used for these shots. All were taken at ISO 200, f5.6 exposure and 1/320 sec shutter speed. That second shot of the hummer in flight, which I really like, shows just how slow that shutter speed was if I wanted to freeze the motion of the wings. Amazing creatures!
                    Probably need to max the ISO to get your shutter speed close to freezing the wings. However, I like the blur since we are used to seeing them blurred.
                    Jim
                    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Morning all - I'm very pleased you folks liked these photos and thanks as usual for your nice comments.

A little story to finish off this post from my side.

Just a couple of miles north of the city of Pachuca, Hidalgo state, Mexico, where we live there's a national park called El Chico and a few miles into the park in a beautiful location is the very small pictureque village of Mineral del Chico.

I first visited this village just over 30 years back when I moved to Mexico from the UK. As with most Mexican villages the center has a small square/garden in front of the local church, in this case The Church of the Imaculate Conception, which dates back to the middle of 17th Century.

It was early morning, still cool due to the high altitude location of this park, mainly clear skies with a few clouds interspersed with large patches of blue allowing the strong morning sunlight to pass through. I walked through the open doors of the small church to an amazing sight. Down the sides of the pews and filling all of the altar area were large bunches of flowers of every type and size imaginable and the air was heavy scented from the blooms. The early morning sunlight was streaming inco the church through one of the side windows casting strong rays against the usually darker interior.

As I stood in the doorway for a moment taking in the sight a loud chattering of sound erupted in the space followed by darting flashes of color moving rapidly in and out of the church pausing just for a few seconds hovering over the fragrant gladioli, lillies, alcatrazes.....

You guessed it. Hummingbirds!

I've no idea just how many hummingbirds were flying in and out of that church attracted by the flowers. All I know is that there were many and there were at least 2 different species judging by their size. I just stood transfixed in that doorway for several minutes watching them.

Photos can do some justice to the beauty of these creatures but they will never replace that memory I have of my first encounter with these amazing and beautiful birds.

Thanks!
                      Last edited by jim_mex; 03-28-2021, 11:13 AM.
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Probably need to max the ISO to get your shutter speed close to freezing the wings
                        Morning Jim - you read my mind

Since I can get up very close to the feeder and don't need to overcrop my photos I should be able to push the ISO up to around 800 and shoot at a speed of around 1/1000 sec without seeing too much noise in the image. I think I got a bit lucky with the manual focussing in these first photos but next time around, by setting my camera to burst mode, I should be able to capture a couple of shots which are in focus.

Having said this, the more I look at that second photo with the almost transparent blurred out wings the more I think it coveys the essence of these creatures and the more I like it.

Thanks for the tips pal!
                        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim they are spectacular. I like the the fact that you have the three different photos, the one where you can see that they really do have wings and the other action photo that most of are accustomed to seeing. I do not ever recall seeing a humming on a perch. Each summer we usually have a couple frequenting the flowers around our deck, however they are always hovering.
                          cwmagee
                          aka Fibber
                          Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Jim they are spectacular. I like the the fact that you have the three different photos.........,
                            Hi Cw - I really should brag a little and say that your observation of the 3 photos was a deliberate ploy from yours truly to get these poses, but I have to be honest and say that this was pure luck. I only took 5 photos in total and 2 were out of focus and had to be ditched. So, what you see is what I got...

Sometimes there are days when Murphy's Law steers clear of you and instead the dice roll in your favour!

Cheers!
                            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X